Eggs: Good or Bad?

by in Healthy Tips, January 23, 2009

Over the years, eggs have gotten a bad rap as cholesterol no-nos. But should you totally ditch them in your diet?

The Nutrition Facts:
One large egg contains 210 milligrams of cholesterol, which is about two-thirds of your daily need (300 milligrams per day is the recommended maximum). Most of us have two or three eggs for breakfast, which means we’re topping out on cholesterol in one meal. What you may not realize, however, is that saturated and trans fats influence your cholesterol levels the most, according to research.

Although eggs do contain cholesterol, they also have other benefits that make them a good-for-you food. They’re are full of vitamin A and D, which are mostly found in the yolk, and have some omega-3 fats, which are good for your heart. Nowadays, there are even eggs with added omega-3 fats available at your supermarket (a heads up: they can be quite pricey).

Another plus for eggs is the antioxidant lutein (pronounced LOO-teen), which helps promote healthy eyes and skin. A study in the Journal of Nutrition found the blood more successfully absorbs egg-sourced lutein than lutein from other foods (i.e. spinach and corn).

Better still, eggs are a “perfect protein” because they contain all the essential amino acids needed for growth and your body’s maintenance. There is as much protein in an egg yolk as there is in the egg white.

And yes, you might wonder: what’s the difference between brown and white eggs? Nothing nutritionally. The color all has to do with the hens earlobes — hens with white earlobes lay white eggs and hens with red earlobes lay brown eggs.

The Bottomline:
The American Heart Association says an egg a day is fine for a healthy diet, and you should try to replace other high cholesterol foods such as dairy, meats and poultry. If you follow that one-a-day rule, keep in mind that many baked goods contain eggs and are a source of cholesterol and fat as well.

Of course, a plain egg isn’t the only option; there are low cholesterol alternatives available. Egg substitutes work well in recipes, and 1/4 cup is equivalent to a single egg. Using a combination of whole eggs and egg whites when prepping a dish can also help lower the overall cholesterol tally. Always avoid frying eggs or cooking with tons of butter. Try poaching them in water.

5 Easy Meals To Fuel After-School Activities

As every parent knows, the season of running from school to countless extracurricular activities is upon us. How best to get everyone fed along the w...

1. Grandpa Doug says:

Hello….Eat what you like….we all die anyway!!!

2. Sam says:

I eat about two eggs everyday and my cholesterol is great! I also make sure that I only eat cage free eggs which you can find at almost any grocery store in the organic section. I LOVE eggs!

3. Darren says:

One time I bought cage free organic eggs only because they were on sale.I was not expecting them to taste any different then the regular eggs . When I cooked them up and started to eat them I was amazed of the difference in taste between the cage free organic and the regular eggs. In my opinion the cage free organic eggs taste much better. Apparently the chickens are not confined and are allowed to roam freely and they are feed correctly and not injected with chemicals to promote egg production amongst other things.

Thanks,

DM

4. DC warrior says:

9 years ago i made a concious effort to cook myself breakfast every morning instead of just a bowl of cereal and 2-3 pieces of toast. It lasted only two and a half weeks (cause i am not a morning person) but it is a time i will never forget. I chose to make 4 scambled eggs along with 3 pieces of lightly buttered toast.I would eat a pretty big lunch like a big burger or a bowl of chili beans. I was an extremely active person burning alot of calories. right away i noticed even though i was burning all those calories, by the time dinner came around i was never hungry. I coundn't even force myself to eat. when before i would have the big lunch followed by a even bigger dinner w/ snacks in between.after about a week- I also noticed as well as others did too, was that my body was as hard as concrete. never had my body been this solid even when i was lifting weights every day and eating the six small meals a day. I attributed this to the eggs because it was the only change in my daily routine. My body hasnt been that hard since and my dinners are bigger than ever.I am considering making the effort again which is why i am doing reseach about the cholesterol.

5. daisym0m says:

I have eaten eggs almost everyday for 66 years and my cholesterol is just fine. I also think it depends on other things, such as genetics, predisposition to high cholesterol, etc. I eat just plain ole eggs. If and when the doctor tells me to use something else, I will. I will say that the egg beaters that have seasoning in them are pretty good, but, with my limited budget, they can be pricey.

6. Lisa says:

I agree with Grandpa Doug! And Man I wish I had as much time on my hands to respond to these things. I just want to know where you all find the time???

7. Very interesting points you have noted , regards for putting up. “She had an unequalled gift… of squeezing big mistakes into small opportunities.” by Henry James.

8. ragaby ragab says:

I like eggs

9. I really enjoyed your blog! I put it in my favorites so I can come back again. I found it on Bing.

10. apartments says:

Thanks for your tips about this blog. One thing I would like to say is always that purchasing consumer electronics items over the Internet is nothing new. The truth is, in the past few years alone, the market for online electronic devices has grown considerably. Today, you will discover practically any kind of electronic system and gizmo on the Internet, ranging from cameras in addition to camcorders to computer components and gambling consoles.