Getting to Know Us: Dana White

by in Uncategorized, January 13, 2009

Some folks have been asking to know more about the voices of Healthy Eats. You can see Dana and Toby’s official credentials here, but for a glimpse into their food lives and loves, they’ve filled out a fun quiz.

First up, Dana Angelo White, dietitian and fitness extraordinaire…

You’re stranded on a desert island. What five food items do you hope are on hand?
In no particular order:
• Lemons – the juice and zest are perfect for so many things
• Brown Rice Pasta – a delicious whole grain pasta, I eat it at least once a week
• Natural peanut butter – all I want in my peanut butter is peanuts and salt, so delicious!
• Nectarines – a fruit I could never get sick of
• Any green vegetable – I eat what ever is in season so I would take whatever I could get

What’s your guiltiest indulgence?
Ice cream – I paid my way through private school and college working at Ashley’s Ice Cream in Connecticut. The most amazing homemade ice cream on the planet! I never make a trip to my hometown without picking some up.

What dish do you love to cook?
Stir-fry gets made quite often in our house. It’s so quick, easy and delicious. Sometimes with shrimp, sometimes with roasted tofu and whatever vegetables I have in the fridge.

What food do you always bring to a potluck party?
Ina Garten’s Szechuan Noodles

What recipe does everyone always ask you for?
My banana chocolate chip muffins. Made with soy milk, bananas, apple butter, maple syrup and just the right amount of chocolate chips, they are so yummy and good for you.

If you could have dinner with three people (from the past or present), who would they be?
1. Michael Pollan
2. Julia Child
3. Peyton Manning (quarterback for the Indianapolis Colts)

What’s one food you just can’t stand?
Processed meats – bologna, SPAM, olive loaf – yuck!

What ice cream flavor would you be?
Banana Oreo – a favorite creation from my ice cream-making days

What’s your favorite kitchen gadget or appliance?
Gadget = a microplane – perfect for grating citrus zest, cheese, garlic, nutmeg or chocolate
Appliance = a good food processor – they can chop, slice, puree. You can make everything from pesto to coleslaw to pie dough.

Favorite fruit: a three-way tie between nectarines, blood oranges and tomatoes (yes, tomatoes are a fruit)
Favorite veggie: Sweet potatoes – roasted with olive oil salt and pepper
Favorite kid-friendly dish: Mac & cheese – enough said
Favorite cookbook: The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook. This is the first of six by Ina Garten; they are all amazing, but if I had to pick one, this would be it.

Mexican or Italian?
It’s a tough call and my grandparent’s Italian cooking is hard to beat. But…. I would have to go with Mexican. I love cooking fresh Mexican food, lots of chilies and avocado. Fish tacos with guacamole and a margarita can’t be beat!

PB&J sandwich or grilled cheese?
PB&J – HUGE FAN! I love it for a meal or a snack. Natural peanut butter, whole wheat bread and any flavor natural fruit spread – it’s the perfect food.

You get one food-related wish – what would it be?
To have California produce on the East Coast where I live.

[Ed. Note: the picture above is Dana at a California vineyard; she says, "I look at these in the winter and get happy immediately."]

Learn more about Healthy Eats’ other expert, Toby Amidor »

The Skinnytaste Cookbook: Light on Calories, Big on Flavor

What does skinny taste like? Just ask Gina Homolka. For six years, low-fat foodie Gina Homolka has been satisfying the tastebuds of a loyal following ...

1. Jenn's mom says:

Hi Dana
    My daughter was recently diagnosed with allergies to wheat, flour and dairy. Do you have any healthy meal suggestions for us to use. She is 16 so making these changes has not been easy and we have had a hard time finding recipes that she likes especially for dessert items. I am also concerned about her eating a balanced diet with all the adjustments we have had to make. Any suggestions or recipes would be greatly appreciated.

2. danawhite says:

Hi Jenn's mom -
    Food allergies can be tough, but thankfully managing them is becoming easier with all kinds of new products on the market (especially wheat-free options). Finding a way for Jenn to have a balanced diet with fresh and whole foods is key. I think you and your daughter would benefit most from sitting down for a one-on-one counseling session with a registered dietitian in your area. One thing that comes in really handy for my clients are lists of "safe" foods from the grocery store. Stores like Trader Joe's and Whole foods have lists of all their wheat and dairy-free products – just ask the store manager. Rice-based products like brown rice, brown rice pasta and rice milk are some good, healthy options.
    Best of luck.

3. kkb says:

Beautiful pic of you in the vineyard…love your healthy recipes…but what about that PLASTIC water bottle you are holding?. Maybe we can all be healthy to our bodies AND the enviornment!

4. danawhite says:

Thanks for your comment kkb – and you're right!
    I must confess it was a hot day far from home (but I did refill that bottle instead of buying new ones). Please trust that is not the norm – you'll almost always find me with my re-usable BPA free water bottle.

5. Beth says:

I saw your comment about Ashley's Ice Cream. That was our Friday treat for eating healthy and exercising all week! So glad more SCSU students didn't know about it! Enjoying your recipes!

6. Guest says:

Thanks for all of the healthy recipes to eat Dana…you sure look healthy :D

7. Jennifer M says:

Hi Dana! I just ran into this web site and you this morning. Looking to shed the 80 lbs I have gained over the past 3 years. I'm looking to go more the healthy way versus a "diet". I joined the gym this week and signed up for the 12 week fitness program. Your recipes look great and I have already printed a few of them out. I do have a couple questions. Are your recipes okay for someone who wants to lose weight? Do you have a cookbook or a suggestion on any cookbooks that will help me lose the weight? I'm a single mom with 3 kids, so quick and easy would help a lot! Thanks, Dana!

8. debra says:

hi dai wouldlike to know how many calorie n your peanut butter granola bars, and how many per day.

9. danawhite says:

Hi Debra-
    The bars have 240 calories and 6 grams of protein, making them perfect for a post-workout snack. Here is the recipe with the rest of nutrition info.

10. S L Benoit says:

Dana,

Hope you could help me. I just found out I am allergic to yeast(in foods). Trying to find foods I can eat and recipes.
    Your help is greatly appreciated.