Battling to Keep Weight Off

by in Food News, January 13, 2009

Picture by Sanja Gjenero

Many people find ways to lose the weight, but then what? Keeping the weight off may be more difficult than losing it.

When Oprah admitted that she was tipping the scales at over 200 pounds last month, many were shocked. Only a few years ago, she was revealing her perfectly shaped abs on the cover of her magazine.

But if you look at the stats, it’s not that surprising. Ninety-five percent of people who lose weight regain it within one year. Besides the fame, fortune and having her own TV show, Oprah really isn’t much different than most people who struggle with their weight. Of course, that doesn’t mean you should just give up.

Admitting that you regained weight is the first big step. As it is the start of a new year, it’s a great time to get back on track. The National Weight Registry follows dieters eating patterns and found that those who kept off the weight followed a diet that was low in fat and calories and were highly active. They also found that 78% ate breakfast everyday, 62% watched less than 10 hours of television per week and 90% exercised an average of one hour per day. Stay motivated by involving friends and family.

We understand the struggle and want to help. Check back with us for nutrition tips and our approved healthy recipes, and let us know your goals and progress.

A Healthy APPetite: 7 New Apps for Healthy Eating

Your smartphone can bring more to food than your next big Instagram post. These seven new apps make healthy eating easier than ever. ...

1. Carolyn says:

Since going through Pre & Post Menopause, I have gained 20 lbs and continue to struggle not to increase the numbers. The majority of you who read this will think I’m bragging but going from an 8 to 12 in one year, three years ago has been difficult.

2. Karen says:

I am 51 and have gained steadily since I turned 46 from 112 to 136. I struggle every day to eat right. I work full time and have two teenagers and no time to work out.

3. Susan says:

Everyone has 30 minutes they can set aside to exercise. Saying that you have teenagers, work full time and no time to take a 30 minute exercise break for yourself, then you are making excuses. You need to perhaps think about how you manage your time, and also have a discussion with your family about you taking some time for yourself.

4. Lori says:

Maybe just starting with a few baby steps like: parking a little farther away from an entrance, taking the stairs up a flight or two, walking an extra “lap” around your superstore or mall while you are there. Everything counts when adding up your steps during the day and just a walk aorund the block can build up your energy enough to help you want to get out and walk maybe two blocks, and so on. Maybe your teenagers might even want to walk with you and jsut talk about “nothing”… Worth a shot !

5. Lulu says:

I am starting again at 48 years old to drop 20 lbs. Spin classes at the gym are a great way to go! Setting realistic goals like this class once a week is a start!

6. Colleen says:

I’am a month shy of being 44 I just started going to a fitness center and its
    great. My goal is to get to 134 I weigh 166 5’10. I go 4-5 days a week.
    I have always wanted to get back to my weight before I had my son.
    I encourage everyone who wants to feel good about themselves.
    You have pain after exercising but, you know you’re doing something
    important for your well-being.

7. Cheryl says:

I went from 125lbs. to 167lbs. within a year when I was 48. I got my jump start to losing with the cabbage soup diet. Lost 12 lbs. the first time and did it again a month later and lost 10Lbs. that was the inspiration I needed. I'm 53 and 138. I eat lots of protein( beans, soy, nuts, chicken, fish) and carbs from veggies and grains. I work out on the ball about three times a week for 10 minutes and walk every morning. It's not a hard routine…just a lifestyle change. I have to watch my intake of wine or I get the belly pooch back. And I swear by progesterone(wild yam) creme at night.