Spotlight Recipe: Chunky Banana Bran Muffins

by in Healthy Recipes, January 5, 2009

Banana Bran Muffins

I just baked these banana muffins and they are outrageous! Straight from the kitchen of the Barefoot Contessa (a.k.a. Ina Garten), they are high in fiber but don’t taste like a typical bran muffin. Grab one for a quick breakfast or serve a bunch at your next brunch.

Get the recipe>>

A Healthy Dinner That’s Also Quick? How About 7 of Them?

Whipping up a healthy meal doesn’t have to be a source of agita — or a gigantic time commitment. Each of these good-for-you dinners is ready in 25 (make that 24!) to 40 minutes. Swiss Chard Soup: 40 min (above, from Food Network Magazine) Swiss Chard is in charge when it comes to this satisfying soup.Read more

1. These are fantastic. My husband loves sweets and I made him these and he had no idea they were better for him than all the sugar deserts. Terrific recipe!!

2. Tara McFalls says:

I would love to make these muffins, but does anyone know if it is necessary to use “extra-large” eggs or can “large” eggs be substituted? Any help would be appreciated.

3. Beverly J Chatterson says:

I would go ahead and use the large eggs.. the difference is so minimal it will not change the receipe. I don’t buy extra large eggs so always use large and it doesn’t make a difference.

4. N. L. Davis says:

How should time and temperature be adjusted for larger muffin size pans, as in 6 large instead of 12 small muffins?

5. Dana White says:

Hi N.L. -
    If you’re using larger muffin pans, keep the oven at the same temperature. As for the cooking time, it may vary depending on your oven – just keep an eye on them and when a toothpick comes out clean they’re done!

6. kat says:

In re: to the Extra large eggs, I would use 3 med-large eggs; makes it lighter, less dense(more cake-like, but not really all that much difference, just as using only 2 large. But 3 is my choice.

7. Adriana says:

Does anyone know the nutritional information on these muffins – calories, fiber, fat?

8. Rose D says:

Can I use whole wheat flour instead of all purpose flour? If so, do I need to make any other adjustments?

9. Linda says:

I also would like the nutritional information concerning the
    amount of calories, fiber and fat per muffin. This would help me figure out how many points per muffin for my Weight
    Watcher’s program. Thank you!

10. Theresa says:

I put the recipe into my recipe builder with WW and each muffin is actually 4 points (as long as you use the low-fat or 1% buttermilk!). I bet you could also do 3 egg whites instead of 2 whole eggs and that may cut .5 a point.
    Sorry for those who are looking for calories and such – I can’t figure that out!