10 Grilling Safety Tips by FN Dish Editor in Holidays, May 26th, 2011
With summer right around the corner, there’s never a better time to brush up on grilling safety. Yes, you may be the master of your grill; however, you can never be too careful.
1. Gas grilling should be done outside the home at least 10 feet away from the house.
2. Check all connections for leaks by turning on the cylinder valve and spraying the connections with a solution made by mixing equal amounts of liquid dish soap and water. If bubbles appear, those connections need to be tightened or replaced.
3. Keep the grill away from heavy foot traffic. It’s also highly recommended to keep children, pets and outdoor games like football away from the grill.
4. Always place lighters and matches away from the grill and children.
5. Wear fitted clothing. While you may be warm, you’re safest when wearing long-sleeved shirts, long pants and closed shoes.