In this new column twice a month, Catherine McCord will be sharing a blend of kid-tested, mom-approved products and secrets to keeping sanity in the kitchen.
I am sure that it comes as no surprise that the room in my house in which I spend the most time is the kitchen. As a result, finding reliable kitchen tools which can perform double and triple duty is essential.
While some kids got cars, when I was 18 my mother gave me my first set of kitchen shears. And I was thrilled. Not just regular old scissors, kitchen shears are a cook’s best friend. Once you use a pair, you’ll wonder how you ever got by without them.
Here are just a few kitchen chores that become a breeze by using them:
- Trimming fat off chicken and meat
- Cutting the spine off shrimp to easily peel and devein them
- Cutting the ends off green beans
- Chopping herbs (especially chives) into tiny pieces
- Cutting open food packaging