All Posts In Community

Your Favorite Slow-Cooked Dishes

by in Community, Recipes, October 18th, 2011

braised short ribs
It’s official: Now’s the time to bust out the slow cooker (if you haven’t already). Food Network recently asked Facebook fans to fill in the blank: “I can’t wait to cook ________ in my slow cooker.” Most of you said you’d cook everything in a Crock-Pot if you could, but out of the 2,000 plus comments of fall favorites, a few meaty dishes really get you excited.

For dry-rubbed pulled pork that’s finger-lickin’ good and brined in molasses, look no further than Alton’s Pulled Pork. Kept at a slow simmer for 12 hours, this dish doesn’t need any extra sides or fixings.

Make it a sandwich when you try Bobby’s Pulled Pork Sandwich With Black Pepper Vinegar Sauce and Green Onion Slaw. Taken from his pulled pork Throwdown, Bobby proves this recipe is the real deal. Delicate drizzles of sauce are the key to keeping everything super moist.

More slow-cooked favorites »

Best State Fair Foods of 2011

by in Community, Events, September 24th, 2011

minnesota state fair
Every year, state fairs across the nation invent deep-fried monstrosities in an attempt to be the best (and wackiest) in the land. During the 2010 state and country fair season, Texas took it to the next level with deep-fried beer. Check out several of this year’s top fried foods from Huffington Post Food:

1. Fried Ice Cream Burger – Florida State Fair
Lettuce, tomato, Heinz 57 and French fried ice cream. OK, it isn’t really French fried, but the ice cream is battered in cornflakes and submerged in a vat of simmering oil.

Breakfast lollipops and deep-fried salsa »

What Are Your Favorite Fall Foods?

by in Community, September 22nd, 2011

chicken-corn chile
As the weather starts to change from scorching hot to blissfully breezy, so does the temperature of seasonal dishes. Fall is synonymous with comfort foods like warm soups, casseroles and baked goods hot out of the oven.

Not surprisingly, when Food Network asked Facebook fans “I can’t wait to cook _____ this fall,” more than 3,300 people had something to say.

The countdown to full-on fall has officially begun, and fans can’t wait to bust out the crockpot and make warm, hearty chili. Try Giada’s White Bean and Chicken Chili. Red pepper flakes bring heat to the cannellini beans, and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese at the end is melt-in-your-mouth good. Add some beef to your beans with Ellie’s Three Bean and Beef Chili. Chipotle chile, adobo sauce and red bell pepper add color and flavor to this comfort classic.

More fall favorites »

What Is the Best Topping for Pizza?

by in Community, September 15th, 2011

smore dessert pizza
Cheese, pepperoni and pineapple, oh my. Food Network asked Facebook fans: “In your opinion, what is the best topping for pizza?” Not only did 3,843 of you answer, but you also shared extremely detailed choices.

Spinach, bacon, ham, mushrooms, olives, garlic — you guys want it all — as long as it’s covered with gooey cheese. Extra cheese was the number one topping of choice, with pepperoni and pineapple following close behind. Fans love pineapple classically paired with ham, but don’t mind if it’s mixed with chicken or bacon.

Every veggie possible made the list, but you’ll heap your slice high with mushrooms, olives and onions. Sprinkle a bit of garlic on top and you’ve got yourself a dream pie. Now that you’re probably craving pizza, make some at home instead of ordering in.

In the mood for pizza? Try these recipes »

Troy Johnson Talks to Fans on Facebook

by in Community, Food Network Chef, September 13th, 2011

troy johnson crave
Last week Troy Johnson, host of Crave, dropped by for a Food Network Facebook chat. If you missed it, here are some of the highlights:

Kate Farber Gold: What is your favorite thing to eat?
TJ: I would have to say Thai food — drunken noodles with duck, so hot it hurts. Or Fruity Pebbles in ice cold milk.

Michelle Buffardi: Is there any food that you hated as a kid but learned to like as a grownup?
TJ: I hated liver, now I love it. Especially one that’s a little enhanced.

Conway Obleman: What would be your last meal?
TJ: It would have to do with mussels, a little roasted bone marrow (meat butter) and a salad so that I can go into the afterlife with a svelte figure.

Troy’s favorite steak in San Diego »

Your Favorite Childhood Snacks

by in Community, September 5th, 2011

peanut butter on spoon
More than 1,500 Food Network Facebook fans responded when we asked: “If you could go back in time, what childhood snack would you eat?” The answers were all over the map, with lots of comments for Mom’s (and Grandma’s) home cooking, but a few nostalgia-inducing picks came out on top.

The overwhelming choice: anything with peanut butter. Nothing screams childhood more than ants on a log, a combination of celery, peanut butter and raisins. Another popular favorite, peanut butter and marshmallow fluff sandwiches. Whether you called them “fluffernutters” or something entirely different, they still hold a place dear to your hearts.

MoonPies came in a close second, with Twinkies and Jell-O Pudding Pops holding a close third. Sugary treats like S’mores, Dunkaroos and Hostess Chocodiles (Twinkies covered in chocolate) were often listed, as well.

A surprise snack that many Southern fans can’t get enough of is a cold Coca-Cola in a glass bottle with salted peanuts inside. Fried bologna sandwiches and homemade Rice Krispies also make you melt, but not as much as a pure peanut butter and sugar rush.

What are your favorite childhood snacks?

The Pioneer Woman Talks to Fans on Facebook

by in Community, Food Network Chef, August 29th, 2011

pioneer woman ree drummond
Last Thursday, Ree Drummond, better known as The Pioneer Woman, dropped by a Food Network Facebook chat. If you missed it, here are some of the highlights:

Jennifer Waters: What is the best way to season a cast-iron skillet?
RD: Jennifer, I have always generously smeared the skillets with shortening. I then heat them for a long time in the oven. But lately, I’ve been cheating and getting the pre-seasoned Lodge pans. They’re amazing.

Nova Wick: How does it feel to transfer from blogging on the Internet, where you interact and talk to your fans, to getting your own show?
RD: Nova, it’s all been such a gradual thing. I love blogging the most; I feel like it’s my core. But the show gives me a chance to show a slightly different view/perspective than my still photos and (sometimes weird) writing. To answer your question, it has felt very natural.

More from Ree Drummond »

Coffee: Some Like it Hot

by in Community, August 26th, 2011

hot coffee
We asked, you answered. Food Network recently posed the question: “Iced coffee or hot coffee?” to Facebook fans and the response was overwhelming. More than 3,000 fans cast votes in Battle Coffee. It was a close one, but a majority preferred a piping-hot cup of joe.

Instead of making a morning coffee run, try Alton’s tips at home for a perfect True Brew every time. Once you’ve got that down, add some heavy cream, brown sugar and Irish whiskey for an Original Irish Coffee treat. Or try Giada’s version of Spiked Coffee with Kahlua and dark creme de cacoa.

To spruce up your java with fall flavors, make Paula’s Caramel Cinnamon Latte. Stir with a cinnamon stick for extra seasoning. Top Ree’s Dulce de Leche Coffee with grated chocolate and whipped cream for an after-dinner drink so decadent you’ll think it’s dessert.

Ingredients We Can’t Live Without

by in Community, August 18th, 2011

salt, bacon, butter, garlic
Recently, Food Network asked fans on Facebook, “What’s the one ingredient you can’t live without?” With more than 5,000 comments, it wasn’t surprising to see that these four items made it to the top of the list: salt, bacon, garlic and butter. In fact, when you combine those four, you’re on your way to an amazing dish — maybe a little salty, but none the less comforting. Cheese, cracked black pepper, extra-virgin olive oil and onions were closely behind, but not nearly as popular.

But what makes these foods so popular? Is it because they remind you of home or because of their simplistic nature? Salt is added to almost every dish, even in baking. Butter and olive oil are sometimes interchangeable and garlic and onions are a staple in Italian cooking. Bacon, well, bacon will always be popular and delicious.

But what about the others? What’s the one ingredient you can’t live without? Tell us in the comments or start the conversation on Twitter by including this hashtag: #1ingredient.

On the Blogs: Foods to Avoid In Heat Waves, New Food Documentaries and Whimsical Food Prints

by in Community, July 27th, 2011