The beauty of seasonal squash is that there are myriad varieties available, which means it’s nearly impossible to tire of it before autumn runs out. From hearty butternut squash and stuffable acorn squash to flat-shaped pattypan squash and golden spaghetti squash, there’s a kind to please every palate, and the ways to use each are seemingly endless. When it comes to spaghetti squash, its name suggests its likeness — spaghetti — although you have to open up the squash to get at the individual strings. Just halve the spaghetti squash lengthwise, then run your fork across the flesh to see it come apart into noodle-looking strands, which can be featured in much the same way pasta is. Read on below to get Food Network’s top-five spaghetti squash recipes to find classic and creative takes on this fall staple.
5. Spaghetti Squash Tostadas — Make a satisfying tostada filling by piling tender spaghetti squash, plus chipotle-scented roasted tomatoes and onions, atop a black bean base, and finish with cool sour cream and fresh cilantro on top.
4. Spaghetti Squash and Meatballs — Don’t be fooled by the look of this dish; there’s no pasta in sight, just a bed of roasted spaghetti squash topped with tomato-basil sauce and combination beef and pork meatballs.
3. Healthy Curried Spaghetti Squash — The secret to this quick-fix recipe is microwaving the spaghetti squash to ensure it turns out tender. Once you scoop out the flesh, toss it with a bold mixture of ginger and garam masala for next-level flavor.
2. Spaghetti Squash with Sausage — Made with sauteed bell peppers and onions, this easy squash side dish completes a dinner of spicy grilled Italian sausage.
1. Spicy Roasted Tomato Marinara with Spaghetti Squash (pictured above) — Follow Rachael Ray’s lead and add a chile to her wine-spiked tomato sauce for welcome heat. She keeps the roasted shredded spaghetti squash in its skin, then tops it with the sauce for an impressive presentation.