Now that we’re in the thick of September, it’s all about apples. Before our apple appreciation is reduced to desk snacks and dates with a jar of peanut butter, Food Network’s best apple crisps and crumbles start this seasonal celebration with a bang. Smother cinnamon-sugar baked apples in oat-packed streusel or a buttery biscuit topping for the ultimate salute to fall. (Serving your dish with a scoop of ice cream doesn’t hurt either.)
- Granny Smith apples are on the tart side and pears all delightfully sweet, so combining them for Apple and Pear Crisp (pictured above) strikes the perfect balance. For a brighter take on crisp, Ina Garten sprinkles in lemon and orange zests.
- When Bobby Flay does apple crumble, forget the oven. Instead, he gets out the grill for his Apple Crumble with Vanilla Ice Cream, which is even better when drizzled with caramel sauce at the very end.
- Get the cooking started on the stove, but finish off Skillet Granola-Apple Crisp in the oven. It uses store-bought granola for an extra-crispy topping.
- Who needs a casserole dish? Bake your crisp right into the apple itself for a cinnamon-sugared Baked Apple with Crisp Topping.
- Quick as can be, Gina Neely’s Pear and Apple Cobbler is unique with its extra dose of fruit, but it’s still a comforting classic. The buttery crust baked on top couldn’t be easier.
- The Neelys toss Granny Smith apples in cinnamon, sugar and pecans before topping with a no-oat streusel for their classic Apple Crisp. Take it from Gina: Use sour green apples instead of sweeter red ones, as the latter are likely to get mushy when they cook.
- Give your go-to apple dessert a to-go edge. For Apple-Cinnamon Crumble Bars, slather apple butter over boxed cake mix before topping with an easy streusel.
- Coming with a crust, Food Network Magazine’s Apple-Berry Cobbler Pie has forkfuls of bursting berries in every bite.
Get more apple recipes from friends and family:
The Lemon Bowl: Rainbow Chopped Salad with Apples and Avocados
Weelicious: Apple Butter Turnovers
The Cultural Dish: Apple Crostata
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Apple and Chocolate Cake
Red or Green: Spiced Applesauce
Virtually Homemade: Apple Almond Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing
Elephants and the Coconut Trees: Caramel Apple Cake
Devour: A Week of Apple Recipes
Taste With The Eyes: Bleu Waldorf Petrale Sole
FN Dish: Celebrate Apples with Crisps, Crumbles and Cobblers