Restaurant Revisited: Holy Cow! at Country Cow Restaurant and Bar

by in Shows, August 20th, 2014

Robert Irvine on Restaurant: ImpossibleThe situation at Country Cow Restaurant and Bar wasn’t what it seemed when Robert Irvine first arrived there. Co-owner Jenny Leonzi admitted that the calm demeanor shown by her business partner — and former husband — Kerry Benton wasn’t usual; yelling and swearing were more commonplace, and because of that, Robert was forced to investigate never-before-seen footage of Kerry’s behavior at the eatery. In the nearly nine seasons of Restaurant: Impossible, this is the first time that Robert has revealed the behind-the-scenes clips his producers collect ahead of his visit, and after watching those tapes, Robert saw the restaurant’s reality.

Before Robert could finish the two days of renovations at Country Cow, Kerry made the decision to leave the 12-year-old Campton, N.H., eatery once and for all, signing over all aspects of the business to Jenny. Read on below to hear from Jenny and learn how her restaurant is doing several months after its transformation.

Since Robert left, “sales were up $22,000 compared to June 2013,” says Jenny, who adds that “guests are loving the new decor.”

As of early June, Jenny’s partnership with Kerry is officially terminated, she admits, but Jenny adds, “I have called Kerry a few times for advice and he has been rather helpful.”

In terms of the menu at Country Cow, Jenny says that it’s a mix of what Robert created and several of the eatery’s original items: “We had to put our Buffalo wings and fingers back on, as well as our stuffed mushroom caps, and spinach and artichoke dip.”

Looking ahead, Jenny notes, “I am 100 percent confident that I will be OK on my own. My staff, as well as new and old customers, supports me, day in and day out. Per Robert, I have to just keep moving forward and get those people through the door with great food and even better service.”

More from Restaurant Revisited:

Pomona Golf and Country Club (August 13)
Paul’s Bar & Bowling (August 6)
Marie’s at Ummat Cafe (July 30)
The Fork Diner (July 23)
Portu-Greek Cafe (June 11)
Grace’s Place Bagels and Deli (June 4)
Bama Q (May 28)
Cave Inn BBQ (May 21)
Bumbinos Italian Ristorante (April 30)
Bryant’s Seafood World (April 23)
Urban Roots (April 9)
gratifi kitchen + bar (April 2)
Mama Della’s N.Y. City Pizzeria (March 26)
Pasión Latin Fusion (March 19)
Tootie’s Texas BBQ (March 12)
Mill Creek BBQ Restaurant (March 5)
Estrada’s Restaurant (February 5)
Hillbillies Restaurant (January 29)
Spunky Monkey Bar and Grill (January 15)
Heather’s Country Kitchen (January 1)
Goombazz Big City Eatzz (December 18)
LBI Pancake House (December 8)
Ship Bottom Volunteer Fire Company (December 8)
Mike La Susa’s Italian Restaurant (December 4)
Seven (November 27)
Georgia Boy Cafe (November 20)
Coach Lamp Restaurant & Pub (November 13)
The Windsor 75 (November 6)
Ducky’s Family Restaurant (October 30)
Mama Campisi’s Restaurant (October 23)

What to Watch: Have One Last Halloween Hurrah with Food Network This Weekend

Get all of your Halloween programming in before the big day. It may be hard to believe, but the hallowed event is almost here, and before you run out ...

1. AlistZ says:

I hope Kerry finds some emotional peace. Obviously when you are yelling at everyone it is due to your own feeling of not being adequate. That behavior is just not acceptable when directed about people who work for you. It's a job, there is no right to scream at people like a child just because you pay them a salary.

• Epic Fail says:

If you're signing their paychecks and they're not earning them, like the bunch at this restaurant weren't, you have every right to scream at them. I wouldn't have screamed. I would have replaced them.

2. Jks says:

I wish Jenny the best. I wish business owners would remember one thing.. The employees work with the owner and not for the owner. My husband and I have a lg business and have always believed the employees work with us not for us. We've had the same employes for 18 yrs. little to no turn over bc without the valued employees we wouldn't have the successful business we do. I wish the best for Kerry too. A restaurant would be a difficult business to own. More goes on then we as the public even know. Best wishes on your new endeavor Jenny. The restaurant looked beautiful after the remodel. Many blessings for a successful restaurant .

• Epic Fail says:

So, if your employees are working "with" you, they have an equal ownership stake…right? If not, they work "for" you. And, don't be so sure everything at your business is all peaches and cream. The boss never knows exactly how their employees feel, especially these days when plenty of people stay in jobs they don't like because they can't find another.

• Jks says:

Let me educate you. We wouldn't ask the employes to do something that we wouldn't do ourselves. Working with is a team that works well together. You've also stated that they stay with our businesses because they can't find another. You've done a lot of assuming in your reply. Also, when someone is working with us how would that constitute ownership in our business. Im not sure what your work ethic is like but I know one thing for sure, you'd never last a day in a respectable business. Truly, your name says it all, epic FAIL. Now you have a good day. Put your big boy pants on and stay away from subjects you have no idea about. This is over your head. Your reply proved your immaturity. SMH.

• Epic Fail says:

Talk about "a lot of assuming in your reply". Same goes for "immaturity". "Put your big boy pants"? Yeah, that's mature. SMH

You know nothing about my business or my work ethic. You don't need to. I can tell from your unprofessional reply that you haven't payed attention to the pitfalls of treating your employees as equals, even the examples of that on R:I.. And reinforcing that you think you know how they feel is an even bigger one that will come back to bite you eventually., especially when you do ask your employees to do something you CAN''T or WON'T do yourself, and you will ask.

• Sue says:

I agree with you Jks. The best example I know of what you are saying is Sam Walton. When he was alive he thought of his employees as associates and that was what they were called. He put everyone into a Profit Sharing program. Sadly when he died everything seems to have changed. I applaud what you and wish you the best. (Sidenote) Sam Walton's wife is the one that pushed for the profit sharing. Another wonderful woman!

3. Mark Gan says:

Really good episode. Kerry should get some anger management counseling . I wish them all the best.

4. Chelsea Treadway says:

While watching this episode, i could visibly see a difference in Kerry after he decided officially to leave the restraunt. I hope that he is truely able to find the peace and happiness he is searching for. As for the restaurant itself I love the new look and decor. I think that Jenny and her staff are going to be able to keep things going and get it better and better, I can honestly say that if I get the chance to make it to their part of the country, since I'm in Oregon, I hope that she is still going strong because I would love to try the blueberry bbq red fish and the muscles dish… they both look amazing. Best of luck to everyone at The Coyntry Cow!!

5. Ben says:

This one seemed like it really touched Robert personally. Especially in his closing remarks and the way he was softly spoken during the reveal.

I wondered at how Jenny would fair at the things she admitted early on she didn't know how to manage, but seems like she's doing pretty good! This and the last couple of episodes have been some doozies!

• Epic Fail says:

If Jenny doesn't hire a real manager, like Irvine suggested, the restaurant will fail. You should know that from previous episodes.

6. Mark says:

Interesting show. But the reveal showed what appeared to be PLASTIC STOOLS inn a couple of places for seating. Really? Come on, Robert. You didn't have to replace a floor or kitchen, so plastic stools should not be banned. I do hope this eatery thrives.

7. Volunteer 101 says:

Ah, no those weren't plastic; they were powder-coated steel stools – assuming you're talking about the white ones? My wife and I volunteered for this episode – it was a joy to be there for the transformation. I learned so much about everything "Restaurant Impossible"! I highly encourage anyone to volunteer when an episode is in your area!

8. Elizabeth says:

LOVE This Show~~

9. LeoW says:

When Jenny asked the staff if they were ok with the new management arrangement she gave up some authority with that. Should have been " Kerry is gone, I am the sole owner, together we can succeed following the clear rules and guidelines I am setting down. Let's get to work."

• Epic Fail says:

I think her letting Irvine make her pick between the 2 cook's dishes was also a mistake. The one who lost already had his doubts about Jenny's ability to take over the place, and now she just showed him to be not as good a cook as the other. I'm betting on the inside, he wasn't too happy with the outcome. She should have said they were both excellent and put both dishes on the menu.

• Barry says:

I agree his face at her selection said it. I was expecting to see at the update that he left.

• boobookitty says:

I was thinking the same thing. The better choice, since morale needed a boost and he was on the fence as it was, would have been to use both dishes… unless she really wanted him to leave of his own violition to avoid conflict perhaps? Be interesting to see if he's still there.

10. Kim says:

Great episode. Very touching as well. Wishing Jenny and the staff best wishes and continued success for the restaurant.