3 Creative Ways The Pioneer Woman Uses a Cast-Iron Skillet

by in Food Network Chef, Recipes, August 19th, 2014

The Eggbert's SunriserLong-lasting and relatively inexpensive to purchase, cast-iron skillets are perhaps the ultimate workhorses in the kitchen, as they can move from the stove to the oven and they maintain heat extremely well. Sizzling rib-eye steaks and whole roast chickens may be two of the most-common dishes prepared in these all-purpose pans, but the culinary range of these rustic mainstays goes beyond meaty dinners, as Ree Drummond has showed during the more than seven seasons of The Pioneer Woman. From sweet treats to baked breads, Ree’s proved that there’s practically no limit to what can be prepared in cast-iron skillets. Read on below to learn which unexpected treats she’s making with her vast collection of cast-iron skillets, and get her recipes for savory and sweet favorites.

Breakfast:
Think beyond the griddle when it comes to the most-important meal of the day, and embrace the cast-iron skillet with Ree’s The Eggbert’s Sunriser (pictured above) from Food Network Magazine. A next-level take on hash, this hearty morning meal features layer upon layer of flavor, including salty ham, tender sauteed peppers and satisfying potatoes. Finish with eggs and your favorite salsa for added taste and texture.

Buttered Rosemary RollsBread:
Follow Ree’s lead and make Buttered Rosemary Rolls in a cast-iron skillet. She saves time in the kitchen by starting with prepared dough, then arranging it in the pan and topping it with melted better and fresh herbs for over-the-top decadence. If cornbread is more your style, try The Pioneer Woman’s cowboy-inspired recipe for Cheesy Jalapeno Cornbread. After combining milk and tangy buttermilk for moisture, Ree adds the bold flavors of cheddar, bell pepper and jalapeno to the cornmeal batter, before baking it in the skillet.

Skillet Cookie SundaeDessert:
Instead of making an entire sheet tray of small cookies, opt for one giant treat with Ree’s recipe for Skillet Cookie Sundae. This over-the-top dessert boasts a duo of chocolate chips, and when slightly cooled, it’s topped with classic sundae fixings, like creamy ice creams, hot fudge and fluffy whipped cream. For something fruitier, look to Ree’s Blackberry Pot Pies, baked in small, individual-size skillets. She tops her sweetened blackberry filling with a buttery, flaky pie crust, then bakes the pie until the crust is golden brown.

Don’t miss The Pioneer Woman on Saturdays at 10a|9c.

The Pioneer Woman’s Best Tomato Soup Ever — Most Popular Pin of the Week

It's no surprise that The Pioneer Woman's tomato soup was pinned more than any other recipe this week: This warming, creamy blend of tomatoes and basi...

1. Bobby says:

What is the secret to cleaning the cast iron

• Amelia says:

Salt! The flake-y kind (kosher is my favorite). Scrub it gently with a towel and salt (paper towel is best, but you can use a handtowel if you don't mind it being filthy), until clean then wipe on the lightest coating of vegetable oil, and away it goes. It will stay clean, don't worry.

Just don't scrub it with modern dish detergent. It'll rip the coating off the pan in no time flat.

• John L Bernstein III says:

I second Amelia with this caveat:

Before wiping the skillet with salt and towel, fill the skillet with water and bring it to a boil. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to loosen anything that is stuck to the pan and then dump the water. Next , place a small amount of vegetable oil into the pan and then add the salt. Wipe the pan with the oil salt mixture until fully clean and then rinse again with just plain water. DO NOT USE SOAP OR YOUR PAN WILL RUST!. Next, oil it again and place it over high heat until it is smoking. This will clean and disinfect your pan. Germs can't survive the heat and salt. The oil will protect the pan from rusting away. Let the pan cool and store it away.

2. This is so True but there are lot of more uses for the same :)

3. Kathleen says:

Kathleen Pottkotter
    Although I absolutely adore you, your family, and your show, I was quite worried when you related that Charlie was going to have a share of the Crispy Treats (WITH CHOCOLATE). Dogs cannot safely digest chocolate.

4. Gymgirl says:

Check here for restoring a cast iron skillet.

Hugs!

5. Alice KISSAMITAKIS says:

What is the best way to season a new cast iron skillet

• Brian K says:

Wash with soap & water, only this time, never again. Preheat your oven to 500 or as hot as it will go. Coat the pan with a thin layer of grape seed oil (it has a high smoke point but this is going to get smokey no matter what). Bake for 10-15min., you can do lower temp 350-400 for 1-2hrs if you have the patience but I don't so this has worked for me. Turn off the oven and let the pan cool to room temperature in the oven. Repeat if necessary.

6. Ruthann McClendon says:

I am 77 years old, and was raised on foods cooked in my mom`s iron skillets…from good old country gravy, eggs bacon steak, you name it she fried it, and she always washed her skillets, said no one wants to eat left over fpod from other meals, she never had a rusted skillet and she never had food stick so you had to scrape bruned bits out of bottom, when she passed I got her skillets and I do the same as she did, I wash my skillets, rinse and dry them, and I don't oil them, I sometimes leave grease in them, and put them in the oven…

7. Gmasews says:

Another awesome use for your cast iron skillet: Diaper Rash cure: put regular baking flour (about 1 cup) in a hot skillet (high heat) and burn it, using a spatula to stir and turn the flour until it's a nice even medium brown color. Let it cool and seal in a container (I use a Glad lunch box square) and use it whenever baby has a rash. I'm not scientifically literate to tell you why this works, I just know it does and have used it ever since my mother (now 86) did it for my babies. I have handed it down to my girls for their babies also.

8. Angelika says:

I was wondering about the cast iron, I have purchased some for myself and love cooking with it. I did however make one of your recipes, the spaghetti sauce and put the tomatoes in the cast iron. Does it not take the seasoning off of the skillet or pot? I am hoping that I have not hurt the cast iron. After each use I line it with Crisco shortening.

9. Debbie says:

I'm looking to purchase my first iron skillet. What is the most versatile size to buy? Thanks!