Beyond Butter and Salt: Corn 5 Creative Ways

by in Recipes, July 5th, 2014

Sunny's Quick Corn and Pico SaladAlong with juicy tomatoes, tender zucchini and sweet blueberries, corn is among summer’s most-beloved produce, as it’s both easy to prepare and guaranteed to please even the pickiest eaters at the dinner table. While the classic preparation of boiling corn and rolling it in a stick of butter is a tried-and-true favorite, this seasonal vegetable can be dressed up to take on next-level tastes with the help of a few can-do recipes. Read on below to get five fresh-corn-based how-tos — the top picks for putting this summer staple to work from each co-host of The Kitchen.

Sunny’s Quick Corn and Pico Salad (pictured above) is a no-cook side dish that takes mere minutes to put together. After starting with store-bought pico de gallo, Sunny adds fresh corn, fragrant cumin and refreshing lime juice to balance the flavors.

Corn Ice PopsNo longer just for savory dishes, corn is turned into a chilly dessert in Katie’s Corn Ice Pops (pictured above). She simmers corn in milk until the liquid is infused with corn flavor, adds a splash of vanilla and tangy Greek yogurt for richness and freezes the mixture in molds.

Grilled Corn RisottoGeoffrey’s Grilled Corn Risotto (pictured above) offers all the comfort of traditional risotto, but it includes white corn and fennel, which add welcome notes of freshness to this impressive dish.

Made with only five ingredients, Marcela’s fuss-free Grilled Corn with Ancho Chile Butter boasts a smoky, charred taste from the grill and an indulgent topping of flavored butter. Start with soft butter to ensure that it absorbs the bold flavors of the chiles and sweet roasted garlic.

Cha Cha Chowder, Jeff’s easy-to-do take on corn chowder, is both decadent and satisfying, packed with hearty potatoes, poblano peppers and a whopping eight ears of corn. He adds half-and-half to achieve a creamy taste and purees half of the chowder so its texture is largely smooth.

Spicy Foods That’ll Make You Scream (Just in Time for Halloween)

This month the only thing scarier than those spooky Halloween decorations your neighbors put out every year is the thought of your mouth on fire. The...

1. Sharon Alphin says:

On Sat.July 6,you showed a way to help keep bugs down and I was where I could not record it.Could you please email me as to how to accomplish that?

2. Karen Braselton says:

I would like that step by step as well please! I have been searching for it.

3. rhonda says:

I enjoyed the CORN episode. ..my family loves STREET CORN. ..where the vendors shmear mayo..squeezeable parkay..dry cojita cheese…and paprika on the boiled corn
    well…I make a healthier version
    I boil my ears of corn in zatarains crab boil then shmear it in edamamme hummus and a little paprika
    It has a spicy kick …its flavorful and it feels like youre eating cheese on it also…but without all the fat..I posted a picture on my instagram under @owensoccasions thank u for your time

4. minecraft 7 says:

I have been waiting for someone to share this post. This has actually made me think and I hope to read more. Thanks a lot for sharing with us.

5. friv 3 says:

Those of the interesting information you always bring out the best that I know, thanks.

6. Well these are very easy recipes; nutritious with the corn and can be served as a snack too. Thank you very much for posting. It will be great to have it at home or at a restaurant. Keep posting such recipes.

7. Cherie Ross says:

On today's show, you also featured compound butter which you did NOT include on your Corn posting doday. Why was this omitted? Where can I find what ingredients you used for this compound butter to be used on the grilled corn cob?

8. Lois says:

I loved Marcela's summer dress, what line of clothes does she wear?