In a YouTube video this week, Alton takes on the fruit that is seemingly impossible to cut — the mango. In a comedic parody (including a massive amount of faux blood), Alton walks food fans through two bad ways to cut this fruit, then he describes the best tactic: Remove all the peel from the mango except for two circles in the center of each cheek. Holding this skin for support, you can then slice the mango easily on each side of the seed. The skin will provide a tough grip so you don’t drop the mango and cut yourself.
Alton is of course no stranger to unique mango recipes. He gives mangoes an Indian twist in this Mango Chutney recipe, and he puts them in a tangy Fruit Salad with Vanilla Dressing. He stuffs a curried mango filling into his Pocket Pies, and he dries mangoes in this Dried Fruit recipe for a sweet and healthy snack. Below are five more ways you can incorporate this delectable fruit in your favorite recipes.
1. Give your favorite dip a fruity twist with this Mango Salsa recipe.
2. Instead of using frozen mangoes, why don’t you add some fresh produce in this Frozen Mango Margarita recipe?
3. Forget average old barbecue sauce and try a fruit-based marinade instead in this Chipotle-Mango BBQ Chicken recipe.
4. Dip some shrimp into a mango puree in this Grilled Shrimp with Mango, Lime and Radish Salsa recipe.
5. Try this summery combination of mangoes and cilantro in Bobby’s version of Grilled Jerk Chicken with Mango Cilantro Salsa.
So what are you waiting for? Get a stash of mangoes and experiment.
- Here’s the Scoop on Homemade Frozen Treats: DIY Ice Cream, Sorbet and Sherbet
- Greetings from France, Where It’s All About Aperitifs: How to Host Your Own French Appetizer Hour
- Your Favorite Spreads, Transformed: 3 New Takes on Condiments
- 6 Unexpected Ways to Eat Cantaloupe, Beyond Fruit Salad