Vote: How Do You Prefer Your Potato Salad?

by in Recipes, May 17th, 2014

Sunny's Warm German Potato SaladAlthough the unofficial beginning of summer is still a few weeks away with Memorial Day at the end of May, it turns out that FoodNetwork.com fans are craving one of the season’s best recipes all year long. On this morning’s all-new episode of The Kitchen, the co-hosts revealed that potato salad is one of the most-searched-for items on our site, and Sunny Anderson celebrated this easy, family-friendly favorite with a recipe to prepare for the picnics and cookouts to come.

While creamy mayonnaise-tossed potato salads may be some of the most traditional, Sunny’s Warm German Potato Salad (pictured above) boasts a vinegar-based dressing and is made with red potatoes instead of classic Idaho spuds. When it comes to making your family’s favorite potato salad, what ingredients do you reach for? Are you a fan of the rich flavor of mayonnaise, or do you skip the mayo and instead opt for a tangier dressing made with vinegar? Vote in the poll below to tell FN Dish your favorite way to enjoy potato salad, then check out Food Network Magazine’s roundup of 50 Potato Salads, and get new ideas for swapping out the mayonnaise.

Tune in to a new episode of The Kitchen on Saturday at 11a|10c.

Creamed Corn with Bacon — Down-Home Comfort

When I was a little girl, my grandfather had a large garden down by the Savannah River. It was situated between the river itself and a stand of trees....

1. Angela says:

I like cold potato salad with mayo and deviled eggs on the side

2. Myrna says:

There wasn't a choice for both equally mayo or non mayo. My preference depends on the rest of the menu and what kind of potatoes are being used. My male friends seem to like INA'S French Potato the best and after that sweet potato. So who knows.?

Why doesn't Food Network have a contest for home cooks to find the top ten or twenty potato salads?

3. Sandy says:

Marzetti salad dressing is better than Mayo

4. KarenM says:

For Summer Potato Salad: Red potato, onion, green pepper, celery, green olives, Mayo/Mustard/, a few drops of tabasco, boiled eggs.
    For cold weather (with gumbo): Potato, boiled eggs, green onions, mayo, mustard, and tabasco.

I know, its old fashioned and probably weird, but then so am I.

5. Susan says:

I like to use a mix of mayo and sour cream (about 2/3 to 1/3 ratio) – it really lightens up the mix.

6. AMarie Sampson says:

Duke's Mayo works best for my potato salad.

7. Gary says:

I use about 60-40 Miracle whip to Dukes mayo, perfectly cooked potatoes and finely chopped
    crisp celery and sweet onion….always the crowd favorite

• Lori Howe says:

Mirical whip in combo with mayo, and eggs and herbs and mustard has always been my family's favorite! Other potato salads are good too but nothing beats the family favorite!

8. Sandra says:

Comments are great but missing the point of the potato salad. It's made without mayo making it a safer salad as the weather warms and you may carry out to warmer weather…Try it – its a great potato salad. Igoing to use the base for cooking fish.

9. wael m. says:

I love it with no Mayo, but with extra fresh herbs, fresh lemon and additional Extra Virgin olive oil is a must. Fresh thym leaves is just crazy with it… let it rest for a minimum of 30 min. In Room temperature before eating..

10. I like it with Miracle Whip and sour cream and a little mustard, Bacon, hard boiled eggs, and chives. I take red potatoes, either small enough to not need cutting, or cut them to bite sized pieces, and stir the Miracle Whip, a little mustard, and sour cream together and mix them with the still warm potatoes. Then I set it in the fridge to chill and add the other things just before eating.