Restaurant Revisited: Face the Music at Urban Roots

by in Shows, April 9th, 2014

Robert Irvine on Restaurant: ImpossiblePart eatery and part entertainment space, Urban Roots in Oklahoma City, Okla., offered little in the way of quality food when Robert Irvine arrived. He found jumbled dishes and a weak staff, plus owner Chaya Fletcher, who was struggling to maintain her interest in her job. With only two days to work and a budget of just $10,000, Robert and his Restaurant: Impossible team transformed the interior of Urban Roots and updated the menu, ultimately reopening the business to a packed house. Read on below to hear from Chaya and find out how Urban Roots is doing today.

“Since the taping, revenue is up 15 percent,” Chaya says. “Customers are really happy with the design and love the new menu changes.” She adds that both food and entertainment are now proving to attract customers.

According to Chaya, “a few of the front-of-the-house staff were let go, since they failed to get on board,” but she notes that back-of-house employees have been particularly helpful since the transformation.

Zulu is once again at Urban Roots, and Chaya explains what impact that’s had on her schedule: “I have consistently taken one to two days off since Zulu’s return, and [I am] working in the kitchen one to two shifts a week.”

Looking back on her Restaurant: Impossible experience, Chaya explains, “I learned a lot from Robert, most importantly that I need to own it, and be the leader that is required.”

More from Restaurant Revisited:

gratifi kitchen + bar (April 2)
Mama Della’s N.Y. City Pizzeria (March 26)
Pasión Latin Fusion (March 19)
Tootie’s Texas BBQ (March 12)
Mill Creek BBQ Restaurant (March 5)
Estrada’s Restaurant (February 5)
Hillbillies Restaurant (January 29)
Spunky Monkey Bar and Grill (January 15)
Heather’s Country Kitchen (January 1)
Goombazz Big City Eatzz (December 18)
LBI Pancake House (December 8)
Ship Bottom Volunteer Fire Company (December 8)
Mike La Susa’s Italian Restaurant (December 4)
Seven (November 27)
Georgia Boy Cafe (November 20)
Coach Lamp Restaurant & Pub (November 13)
The Windsor 75 (November 6)
Ducky’s Family Restaurant (October 30)
Mama Campisi’s Restaurant (October 23)
Aponte’s Pizzeria (August 25)
Benner Street (July 28)
Hurley’s American Grille (July 21)
Kalico Kitchen (July 14)
Angelo’s (June 23)
Pier West Restaurant (June 16)
Pinehurst Country Lodge (June 9)
Bryan’s Smokehouse (May 26)
Wagon Wheel Family Restaurant (May 19)
Mom & Dad’s Italian Restaurant (May 12)

Guy Reveals 8 Techniques to Survive Guy’s Grocery Games

Guy’s Grocery Games: the only show where chefs have the supermarket to themselves, have to cook in it and have the chance to win some serious do...

1. FNGossip says:

I wonder if Robert paid for his haircut and if it counted toward the 10k budget

• cyn says:

OMG is that what you're concerned about??? give me a break. I want to know that the restaurant has been doing WELL since Robert's visit! Geez! Get a life FNGossip – perfect name for yourself!

2. Genny says:

No posts….Anyone have any updates. I loved this family, Hope all is well.

3. S.Knox says:

ood Job Chaya and Michael. Love You

4. Colorado Chef says:

Great show. Chaya has a great family, and I liked the concept of the restaurant, paying homage to the culture in the area. I hope they are successful.

5. russ says:

Only thing on the design I would have rounded the corners on the new service window those sharpp edges sticking out in the hall are a poke in the ribs waiting to happen. Good show. Surprised to hear she had culinary skills and such but was just doing front of the house chores and not well.

• Epic Failure says:

Let me guess, Irvine pointed at the wall and demanded a hole be put in it, right? Then Tom made a futile attempt at telling him it can't be done, right?

One day Tom is going to flip out and use Irvine to make the hole.

6. Rahman says:

Its good to see that the Urban Roots Restaurant is doing great!!! I may hit the road just to try out the food!

7. Krischev says:

Fantastic job and May God Bless Your Newly Designed Business Richly…

8. Joe says:

up 15% ? that hardly seems like a big enough increase in sales, especially considering the new manager who will be eating up most, if not all of that increase. they seem like nice people, hope all goes well

9. Olive Oil says:

They do seem like a nice family and I liked the concept. I wish them success. Do have to wonder if Robert Irvine paid for that haircut too?

10. Karen McG says:

Chaya and her husband seem like a nice, hardworking couple, and I wish them a brighter and more prosperous future. They appeared to have taken to heart the advice that Robert gave them, and looked genuinely appreciative of the new decor. My husband and I have watched this show for years, but have become increasingly frustrated with the undeserving, bull-headed, obnoxious, clueless and "Jerry Springer"-like owners in many of the other restaurants. This show once again shows there are people out there who really deserve the help that Robert, Tom and the designers give them! Hang in there Urban Roots, you can do it!