Restaurant Revisited: Bummed Out at Bumbinos Italian Ristorante

by in Shows, April 30th, 2014

Terry Garner and Robert IrvineThis week, at Bumbinos Italian Ristorante, the problems with which  Robert Irvine had to contend went beyond the usual bland decor and kitchen filth this week. The negative interpersonal relationships at this Orange City, Fla., eatery were causing so much screaming among employees and owner Terry Gardner that it was driving away customers. With just two days to work and a budget of just $10,000, Robert Irvine and his Restaurant: Impossible team addressed the staff’s issues and overhauled the interior and menu at Bumbinos to ultimately give the business a second chance at success. Read on below to get an exclusive update from Terry.

“The first two weeks after the show, we increased approximately 35 percent,” Terry said. She added that both she and the diners have been wowed by the updates in design. “They are loving the lights and the tile. Favorite elements would be the closing of the pizza area, the chandelier and the tile wall.”

In terms of the food at Bumbinos, Terry explains, “I love the new menu. I plan on keeping it.” Diners have taken well to the “new salads [and] broccoli rabe,” according to her. The back-of-the-house staff remains largely the same, as Terry says that “Willie is still the chef; Cappy is still the pizza man.” She adds of her son, “Willie is creative, making specials. He now takes the time to go to the tables and ask how the customers are enjoying his dishes.”

Terry promises that yelling no longer impacts diners’ experiences, and she adds that being on the show “is slowing strengthening” the dynamic between her and Willie. And “Cappy and I seem to laugh a little more at each other rather than fight,” she adds. “I think with him being happy at the new pizza station, he has a better attitude.”

More from Restaurant Revisited:

Bryant’s Seafood World (April 23)
Urban Roots (April 9)
gratifi kitchen + bar (April 2)
Mama Della’s N.Y. City Pizzeria (March 26)
Pasión Latin Fusion (March 19)
Tootie’s Texas BBQ (March 12)
Mill Creek BBQ Restaurant (March 5)
Estrada’s Restaurant (February 5)
Hillbillies Restaurant (January 29)
Spunky Monkey Bar and Grill (January 15)
Heather’s Country Kitchen (January 1)
Goombazz Big City Eatzz (December 18)
LBI Pancake House (December 8)
Ship Bottom Volunteer Fire Company (December 8)
Mike La Susa’s Italian Restaurant (December 4)
Seven (November 27)
Georgia Boy Cafe (November 20)
Coach Lamp Restaurant & Pub (November 13)
The Windsor 75 (November 6)
Ducky’s Family Restaurant (October 30)
Mama Campisi’s Restaurant (October 23)
Aponte’s Pizzeria (August 25)
Benner Street (July 28)
Hurley’s American Grille (July 21)
Kalico Kitchen (July 14)
Angelo’s (June 23)
Pier West Restaurant (June 16)
Pinehurst Country Lodge (June 9)
Bryan’s Smokehouse (May 26)
Wagon Wheel Family Restaurant (May 19)
Mom & Dad’s Italian Restaurant (May 12)

Poll: Your Favorite Burger Condiment and More — Play Along with Hungry Games

Think of a meaty, juicy burger. Now ask yourself: What makes that burger so desirable? In the next episode of Hungry Games, this Monday at 8|7c, Richa...

1. frustrated says:

I really don't like the fact that I have to go to this web site to see the aftermath of each show,. I am positive that I am not the only one.

• Yay Area says:

Ain't that the truth brother (or sister)

• RealIsm says:

Yeah..cause it is SOOOO much effort. get off your ass, put your TV remote down and burn some calories by picking up yet another media device.

• Real Talk says:

AMEN! You know how much work it would be for Rob and his team to revisit these restaurants?! It would be nuts and take ti long waste of time.

• Annie says:

Well, used to they'd have little lines at the end of he show that would say how the restaurant is doing now. It wasn't all that dissimilar from what's above, just more consise.
            I'm sure for the people that don't like going online to see how a restaurant is doing want that way back.

I personally like going online to check. I like the more in depth review of how the owners are doing now. I also honestly like it because if I'm very curious about a certain restaurant, already being online reading about it will keep me from forgetting to scope out Yelp or Urban Spoon for a possible different perspective of how they're doing.

Having the "to find out how So-and-So's is doing go to foodnetwork.com/ri" message is also nice when you catch the show on re-runs. And this show re-runs often. It's frustrating to read "Three months after the makeover…" when you have no idea when the make-over was or when the episode aired. Also, I don't really care how the restaurant was doing 3 years ago. When it's been 3 years since the make-over, getting an update of how things were going 2 months after the makeover doesn't help much.
            On the re-runs it's much nicer to hear the "go to the website" spiel.

Also, doing it this way means I don't have to worry about my DVR cutting off the "how they're doing" information. ;)

• JulieB says:

I agree, Annie. You can get a lot of current info from yelp and urbanspoon. Maybe even an article in the local paper in the event a restaurant closed.

• Mara says:

This has been going on for years. Get over it.

• Margie says:

I agree! It would be so simple for them to note it at the end of the show, the same as other similar shows.

2. joe ciolli says:

dido

3. nomorebumminaround says:

I really liked this show for a change. So many of them are the same. Despite their arguing this family really seems to love each other and want to do well. Hope they'll be able to make it.

4. emily says:

Some really bad acting on the owner's part. The owner, Terry is the one who yells and disrespects. They have already gone back to their old menu disregarding all the help Mr. Irvine put in here. It not love, it was their desire to be on TV.

5. charlie says:

Where is .foodnetworkgossip.com on this restaurant? I look forward to seeing what is really going on

6. rgdirt says:

I just checked Google and the place seems to be very much open and operating.

7. charlie says:

Am I the only one that thinks that if Robert Irvine and his crew should spend more time on restaurants that REALLY WANT TO MAKE IT and less time on the ones that are using you to boost their re-sale value ???? Perhaps they should re-consider their thought process and Quit getting ripped offed ?

8. steve says:

Their website is active and their tweets on twitter indicate that they're still open. What exactly made yo think they're closed permanently?

9. Gary says:

I live near Bumbinos and it is DEFINATELY open! Get your facts straight before opening your mouth.

10. Robert G. says:

I love this place and the owners, you would have to be a heartless person to not understand the love between Terry and her son Willie. If you were listening to what Terry said, she stated that Willie never received an opportunity to display his culinary ability. With that being said "Bumbinos Italian Restaurant" was birthed out of the love a mother (Terry) has for her son (Willie). Frustration and the inability to understand the nature as well as the demographics of their unique product offering has cause this business to struggle. However, I truly believe their interactions towards on another adds to the charm of their business, which made you feel apart of the family. I do know that it can be a deterrent to some of us whose live a perfect family life; as for me I pray for their success in business, because I know for a fact the you can NEVER destroy TRUE LOVE. How do I know this, well let us look at what happen on Calvary's mountain, where there is LOVE there is LIFE.

• Joanna says:

LOL…it was clear that Willie (what is he 40 at least?) is a loser. His mom has had to carry him all 40 years. They are all clearly not that smart and is why I choose to mainly cook at home…don't trust these idiots with no experience.

• Jen S. says:

Is their family any of your business??? You're better off staying at home where your rudeness and immaturity belongs. What an unkind, thoughtless person you are. I would dare to see you own a restaurant. The reviews you might get might be hurtful to you. Why is it that comments use name calling tactics. Take a positive outlook and try to offer encouragement not negativity.

• Passerby says:

Not everyone can be a rocket scientist. I'd be happy for Willie or someone like him, who has passion for their food and care for the health of customers, to cook for me.
        Joanna, did it make you feel any better about yourself to criticize someone else? How's that working out for you?