One-on-One with the Latest Recruit Eliminated from the Blue Team — Worst Cooks in America

by in Shows, March 10th, 2014

Blue TeamOn Worst Cooks in America, 14 recruits have the opportunity of a lifetime: to be mentored by two renowned chefs, Anne Burrell and Bobby Flay. They arrive at Boot Camp with some of the worst kitchen skills imaginable, but if they’re able to last through seven weeks of competition without getting cut, they get the chance to be named the best of the worst and win $25,000 in prize money. Plus their mentor gets bragging rights — and this year Anne is fighting to win her title back after losing to Bobby last season. Unfortunately, two recruits, one from each team, must be eliminated every week.

Every Monday night, FN Dish has the exclusive interviews with the eliminated recruits from the Red Team and the Blue Team.

More Worst Cooks in America
Exit Interview with the Eliminated Red Team Recruit
Episode 4 Highlights (Photos)
Candy-Flavored Spring Rolls (Video)

In this fourth week of competition, the remaining eight recruits discovered that their Skill Drill would involve making sushi rolls in a Japanese restaurant with actual diners tasting and scoring their food. For the Main Dish challenge, the recruits would be throwing a surprise birthday party for a special guest. Before the challenge, Anne and Bobby let them take their aggressions out on giant, lifelike pinatas that revealed candies, the flavors of which they would use to inspire their hors d’oeuvres. Unfortunately for Danielle, flavor was the number one thing lacking in her finger food.

How did you approach the sushi challenge, since you’ve never made or eaten sushi before and seemed grossed out by the salmon?
I just wanted to do the best that I could. I try to do that in every challenge. But this one was a team challenge, so it wasn’t just about me; it’s about everyone else too.

During the hors d’oeuvre challenge you cut yourself and moved on like nothing happened, but then you were afraid to use the food processor. Why was that?
I was hesitant to use the food processor because every time I saw someone else use it, it never worked. I already didn’t have enough time so I just wanted to use a blender, which I knew how to use.

Danielle, Betsey and BobbyAt elimination time Bobby said that he was surprised your dishes didn’t have more flavor because you’re usually good at that. What do you think happened?
I think I didn’t taste the food and that is why it lacked flavor. If I would have tasted it, I would have known it was missing something.

Is there anything you think you could have done differently to keep you out of the bottom?
I think I probably would have calmed down more and not been so negative in this challenge. I think I would have gone further.

What was the hardest thing for you about doing the show?
The hardest thing for me was being away from my family and my daughter. I’m sad to go but at the same time so happy to be going home.

What’s the number one thing you learned during your time on the show?
The number one thing I learned is to season, because if you don’t have flavor, it’s probably not going to be good. You want the food to be good.

Did you ever think you would make it this far?
I had thought I would be going home the first day, so I’m really proud I made it this far. It would have been great to make it to the end. But I’ll take this one.

What’s next for you? Will you be cooking a lot more?
I’m definitely going to be cooking more. I feel like I’m going to get home, go food shopping and show my family what I did on the show.

What to Watch: Have One Last Halloween Hurrah with Food Network This Weekend

Get all of your Halloween programming in before the big day. It may be hard to believe, but the hallowed event is almost here, and before you run out ...

1. Dawn Zigler says:

Im upset to think that they allow Amber to have such long nails on this show. I think it is gross

2. Pam says:

I have to agree with Dawn- While I realize that bad cooks come in all shapes, sizes, eccentricities, ect, but the nails on Amber are beyond gross. The health inspector would shut down a kitchen if a cook had claws like that! There's no way she can keep them clean and sanitary, and I am really surprised they even allowed her into the competition with those. Bad cooking is one thing, unsanitary cooking is another.

• Robert says:

Pam, I agree that unsanitary cooking is unacceptable but by the same token, both Amber and Danielle were at the bottom of the whole team yet Danielle was the weakest link this time as she repeatedly failed to pay attention to what Bobby tried to teach her – and she admitted she didn't taste her food first before serving it. That, to me, is a REAL NO-NO in a competition like this one – it's especially so on "Chopped". Right now, I can only surmise that Amber will be the next to go, because she is simply not ready yet to represent Bobby in the finale, whereas the other 2 remaining Blue teammates are a lot better than her.

• Donna says:

NASTY NAILS!

3. Ching says:

By the way, Anne, the hairy fruit that Mike opened was a "Rambutan" and not a lychee.

4. Sharon says:

Wow! Them nails are just gross! Who knows what kind of bacteria is under there!!!!

5. Teri M says:

I'd like to know where the pinatas came from, anyone?

6. Gross Nails says:

Please get rid of the woman with the nails! It is so disgusting to watch her work with food, especially when she uses her nails in the food and says, "This is when these nails come in handy." Can you imagine someone scraping food into a dish with normal length nails? How would you like to know a person shaved some pieces of some part of your dish with their fingernail? Picking that person to be on a the show was a real mistake. So unsanitary! Anne got mad when that person licked her fingers when she cooked…how is that much worse than nails in your food???

7. Bobby Flay and supervisors running this show: maybe you have never seen what nails look like when they don't have nail polish on them and they are so long? They tend to look yellowish and have a sort of build-up under them. One time, have Amber remove her nail polish and look at her nails and THEN decide you would like her using them as "tools" to cook with in your food. And it doesn't matter if the food is cooked or raw. Can you just imagine an unsanitary chef who has a nail fall into his raw food, or a piece of skin or a hair and then he cooks it? Does that make it OK? Would you really be OK with eating someone's nail, skin or hair just because it was cooked above the temperature of killing bacteria and fungus??? I would not and I would NEVER eat a chef's food who had nails like her's. Your show is supposed to be geared towards teaching people who supposedly don't know how to cook, the proper ways of cooking and yet you allow Amber to keep her nails? You should have asked her to cut them before the taping started and if she refused then get another candidate. Looked like you had a lot. Also, this season, the recruits don't seem to be as bad as the season before. These guys seem to be gaining knowledge and skill a lot faster and easier. Maybe take longer to really find people who can't cook boiling water, as your commercials pre-season suggested they would be like.

8. PPoland Food says:

Polish food is great. If you have ever tasted Pierogi, Golabki, Duck with Apples or, say, Roasted Trout, you'll most likely agree with that right away. Poland Food But there are many more dishes and Polish cuisine is really worth exploring. It offers a rich choice of tastes and flavors, which makes any food lover happy.