Bacon for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner — and Dessert

by in Recipes, March 15th, 2014

Whole-Grain Pancakes with Eggs and BaconIt’s no secret that bacon is a perennial family-friendly favorite, and on this morning’s all-new episode of The Kitchen, the co-hosts offered their top secrets for preparing it just right every time. Both Jeff and Geoffrey shared wedge salads — Wedgelet Kabobbies and a Grilled Cobb Wedge, respectively — that showcased this crispy indulgence, proving that a strip of bacon isn’t limited to breakfast plates alone (although it’s indeed a welcome addition there too).

In an effort to celebrate all things bacon, FN Dish rounded up a day’s worth of meals featuring that ingredient: a dish for breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert. Read on below to find all four recipes, then tell us in the comments your favorite way to enjoy bacon.

Who says bacon can’t be part of a balanced diet? In Food Network Magazine’s easy-to-make Whole-Grain Pancakes with Eggs and Bacon (pictured above), it’s added atop a surprisingly healthy stack of flapjacks and fluffy scrambled eggs.

Brussels Sprout and Bacon Grilled CheeseFor lunch, belly up to a Brussels Sprout and Bacon Grilled Cheese from Food Network Magazine, a dressed-up version of the gooey sandwich you enjoyed as a child. The richness of bacon naturally complements Brussels sprouts, and here they’re both tossed with fresh lemon zest to brighten up the dish.

Pasta with Bacon and LeeksFood Network Magazine’s Pasta with Bacon and Leeks is a five-star supper that’s ready to eat in only 30 minutes. Be sure to cook the leeks in the same pan as the bacon so they absorb the decadent flavor of the drippings and impart that flavor to the smooth cream sauce.

Maple French Toast and Bacon CupcakesJust as bacon is often paired with maple syrup for breakfast — as in the pancake-and-egg dish above — so, too, is it for dessert. In this Maple French Toast and Bacon Cupcakes recipe from Food Network Magazine, the salty and sweet flavors shine, esespecially when topped with cinnamon-scented cream cheese-maple frosting.

Tune in to an all-new episode of The Kitchen on Saturday at 11a|10c.

Best 4 Apple Cider Cocktails

Whether you pick up a gallon at the orchard to accompany warm doughnuts or you simply buy a bottle while shopping at the grocery store, you’ll l...

1. Dez says:

Love this show, but not a fan of all the hosts. I'll just say that one needs to take vocal training to control her vocal fry.

• Ginger says:

Lol you must be a speech-language pathologist. There are a couple of hosts on various food network shows that need some vocal training/therapy.

2. Steve says:

Wish they had a list of the helpful hints the chef's give.

3. Jody says:

How did that guy use "Morro's Method" (sp?) to cook bacon ? I only caught the tal end f it but I wanted to know how he got clear bacon grease. Thanks in advance…

• Carolyn says:

I just tried his hint the other day, (lining pan with parchment paper instead of foil) I had the most perfect bacon slices ever usually they say to put bacon in a 400 degree oven for 20 min. I did it for 25 min. but my stove is old, I could not believe the difference the parchment paper made over using foil I believe Jeff stated something like the bacon doesn't touch metal.

4. Judy says:

I want to know about that bacon tip also! I love this show! And all the hosts!

5. Hooch says:

Add me to the list of viewers who want the bacon tip. I've missed it twice now while trying to watch and multi task.

6. Pamela says:

Re: the bacon tip: I know he put the bacon on parchment paper on a baking sheet and cooked it in the oven. Unfortunately I don't know what temp or for how long..HELP

7. In the recipe for the Kabobs, it gives the instructions for baking the bacon (I searched everywhere until I found it):

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Line a baking sheet with a larger sheet of parchment paper so that the paper extends over the edges of the pan by a couple of inches. Lay the bacon slices on the paper and bake until golden brown and crisp, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain on paper towels until cool.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jeff-mauro/wed