Would a burger be complete without crispy, salty fries dunked in ketchup? Would your mother’s meatloaf hit the same spot without buttery mashed potatoes? How about your Sunday brunch? Where would it be without a heaping plate of hash browns? Solid potato recipes are the most dog-eared pages of your cookbooks and recipe collections for a reason. The versatility of a simple spud is astounding, and every rendering still manages to pin down a familiar homemade flavor. In the name of everything comforting and good, this week is all about our favorite tried-and-true potato recipes.
1. French-Fried — What better place to start than America’s favorite? Ree’s Perfect French Fries are blissfully golden and crispy.
2. Oven-Fried — Not down for the deep-fry oil dunk? Stick wedges in the oven for addictive Oven-Fried Potatoes.
4. Baked — For all we care, make things easy by sticking the whole potato in the oven. Sliced open and stuffed with everything from bacon to cheese, Baked Potatoes are an easy, hearty way to get your tater fix. If once isn’t enough, go for Sunny’s Twice-Baked Potatoes.
5. “Soupified” — Put those extra baked potatoes to use by incorporating them into Alton’s silky Leftover Baked Potato Soup.
6. Boiled — Simply drop small skin-on new potatoes in rolling water for Boiled Potatoes with Butter.
7. Roasted — No matter what kind of potato you use, cooking them in the oven will leave skins crispy and delicious. Try Roasted Yukon Potatoes with Rosemary and Roasted New Potatoes with Garlic (pictured above).
9. Scalloped — Expect the contents of your casserole dish to be devoured when creamy, rich Scalloped Potatoes are involved.
10. Shredded — Add Greek yogurt and milk to this Hash Brown Casserole for a light, mushroom-packed morning side. Grate your own potatoes fresh or buy the pre-shredded version in your freezer section.
Get more comforting potato recipes from friends and family:
The Heritage Cook: Potato, Bacon, Green Chiles and Cheese Casserole
Feed Me Phoebe: Bangers and Spinach Mash with Cider Onions
Dishin & Dishes: Sweet and Savory Potato Stacks
Big Girls, Small Kitchen: Potato-Chickpea Masala with Cilantro Chutney
Weelicious: Potato Fans
Haute Apple Pie: Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
Taste With The Eyes: Truffled Poached Egg, Asparagus and Truffle Vinaigrette, Black Truffle and Potato Stack
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Warm Pan Fried Potatoes and Greens Salad
Red or Green: Smashed Sweet Potatoes with Chipotle
In Jennie’s Kitchen: Crispy Oven Fries
The Sensitive Epicure: Healthier Twice Baked Potato Skins
Elephants and the Coconut Tress: Indian Spiced Potatoes
Jeanette’s Healthy Living: Healthy Bacon Egg Potato Breakfast Casserole
Virtually Homemade: Bacon Parmesan Hasselback Potatoes
Devour: Mashed Potatoes, Reinvented