The Kitchen from Marcela’s Point of View — with Photos!

by in Food Network Chef, Shows, January 21st, 2014

Behind the Scenes on The Kitchen, Episode 3by Marcela Valladolid

It’s my turn this week to take you behind the scenes of our new show, The Kitchen. On behalf of Geoffrey, Katie, Jeff and Sunny, I’d like to tell you how absolutely grateful we are for the feedback, ideas, photos, recipes and love you’ve sent our way. All five of us, along with what has to be one of the best production crews I’ve ever worked with, are constantly looking for and debating what topics, recipes and ideas you would find most interesting.

Personally, I want you to walk away from each show feeling like you have learned something — like it was worth sharing your hour with us. We all have very different perspectives on food and cooking, and, I think, that’s what’s so great about The Kitchen; at one point or another, someone is going to say something that you connect with.

I’m injecting this show with two syringes: la mom and, because it’s in my DNA, la Mexican. It’s remarkable how even though I’ve dedicated my life to food, I’m still stumped every once in a while about what to put on the table for Fau (aka Fausto, my son). Anybody can buy a rotisserie chicken and make some tacos (often dinner at this casa), but what if you don’t even have time to go to the grocery store and get the darn chicken? What if, more than once a week, it’s like a Chopped episode and you just open up the pantry praying that you’ve got enough in there to whip up something good and nutritious for your family?

Marcela's PantryWe’re going to jump into that. And we’ll jump into easy meal solutions the whole season. I can’t speak for the rest of the hosts, but it took me a while to figure out that you don’t really want recipes that take a whole day to make. I mean, every once in a while I like to do a tamal tutorial, but I get it. I’m a mom. I work. We’re always in a rush, but feeding our kids and families is top priority. You want solutions. You want food that both the kids and the parents will love. You want easy and you don’t want to break the bank. I get it. We get it. And we will work very hard to be able to share those ideas with you every single week. I’m going to apologize in advance for mentioning Fau 40 times per episode, but, hey, he’s what inspires me to want to develop those very recipes.

There’s something for everybody in The Kitchen. GZ will be at the bar mixing cocktails, or maybe the gorgeous Katie is whipping up something healthy and fresh — or giving us ideas on how those very pantry items can double as beauty creams (without the hefty department store price tag). Jeff will always find a way to make you laugh. I told him just the other day that he might be some sort of genius and not even know it, as comedy is just another manifestation of intellect. And we all know Sunny’s real approach to cooking is a huge hit, so you’ll get plenty of that as well.

Jeff Mauro and Marcela ValladolidIn last Sunday’s episode, both Sunny and GZ shared the most-absurdly delicious (and equally easy) recipes for chicken wings, and, true to her fabulous style, Katie made grilled salmon with a citrus-fennel salad. Jeff came up with a tasty pasta dish called Sal Monguini.

In terms of behind-the-scenes gossip, all I can say is that I’m honored and grateful to be working with this group of people — not just the cast, but the production crew too. We’ve got something good here, and every day we are all in constant communication about how to make it better and more fun for you.

We’re all on Instagram and Twitter: @KatieLeeKitchen, @GZchef, @JeffMauro, @SunnyAnderson and @chefmarcela. We love interacting with you, so use #TheKitchen; I promise to personally respond or repost.

Enjoy the show.

Muchas gracias! Marcela
Behind the Scenes on The Kitchen, Episode 3

Vote on Your Least-Favorite Foods as a Kid — Rachael vs. Guy: Kids Cook-Off

On this past Sunday’s episode of Rachael vs. Guy: Kids Cook-Off, the kids faced one of their toughest challenges yet, cooking their least-liked ...

1. justin says:

njjgvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

2. monica says:

i like this show very much! i like all of the "real life" cooking situations that the show features – bringing high class cooking to real life situations, which is what i'm finding myself into in as a professional with little time to prep for dinner. especially enjoy sunny and marcela – my girls! thanks for the laughs and the helpful tips… =)

3. Karie says:

I really like this show. Love the hosts. I think Jeff is funny and genuine. Great ideas, lots of variety . It is a Food Network star!!

4. Lynn says:

I'm a bit late to be chiming in with my opinion of The Kitchen, but it pains me to see such harsh comments above. I started taping the show on DVR from the beginning and watch it faithfully. Hats off to a great concept and to finding such a diverse and talented group of chefs! learn something with every episode and every chef's contributions. Sure, it takes some time for each person to contribute in his or her best way, but as the show is progressing, you seem to have found a smooth balance. Honestly it is the most entertaining cooking show right now! I have deep respect for what each chef brings to the program; each one has ideas, gifts, personalities and a definite approach to cooking. Great to see a variety. Also, I love how this seemingly disparate group of individuals seems to truly enjoy each other! My husband is not one to watch a cooking show, but he actually watches with me and enjoys it. Probably because of Jeff's crazy and fun personality at first, but we laugh a lot and that's a good thing, as Martha used to say. Some viewers seem to be put off by GZ because of his training and expertise, but honestly I so admire him. When someone shares a simple recipe or idea, he listens with interest, nods his head with admiration, and appreciates all things related to food. I enjoy him because he is real and not arrogant at all. I especially like to see how GZ is constantly monitoring even the simplest process and adjusting. One suggestion is for Sunny and others to stop referring to GZ as "the Iron Chef" as that suggests that he is better than everyone else. Have equal positive regard for each other folks, and your viewers will too. I love watching The Kitchen, and will continue to be a fan. Sunny's enthusiasm, Jeff's energy and love for life, Marcella's dedication to family and good food, GZ's life commitment to this world, and Katie's sincere interest in cooking make for a very special combination. By the way, the Matcha facials and cucumber eye treatments for the guys was hysterical, especially because 1) Jeff couldn't talk during it (impossible for him) and 2) GZ got into it immediately – I suspect he's a spa-lovin' guy. Keep up the great work everyone. Oh, I must close by saying how happy I am to see Marcella on this show. I've long been a fan and have wanted to see more of her.

5. Cheryl says:

I really like the show. They look like they are all having a great time. I would love to find out what kind of a watch Marcela is wearing so I can track it down.

6. Sam says:

Love the show but if you would lose Katie I am sure more people would tune in. She ruins it for me. Absolutely no warmth or humor. Such a fake, come on Food network, what were you thinking?

7. Deb says:

I like this show. Geoffrey seems to have dialed back his arrogance, which is refreshing.But Mauro s a buffoon, and almost enough to make me turn off this show.