Restaurant Revisited: Clueless in the Country at Heather’s Country Kitchen

by in Shows, January 1st, 2014

Robert Irvine on Restaurant: ImpossibleWhile the inferior food and uninspired decor were in desperate need of Robert Irvine‘s attention when he arrived at Heather’s Country Kitchen in Plains, Mont., owner Heather Worrall’s lack of leadership was of far more concern to Robert, given how little Heather seemed to know about running her business. With just two days to work and a budget of just $10,000, it was up to Robert and his Restaurant: Impossible team to overhaul all aspects of Heather’s Country Kitchen and to give Heather the tools she needed to manage her business alongside her family so they could ultimately reopen Heather’s as a welcoming business with a confident leader at the helm. Read on below to hear from Heather and find out how her restaurant is doing today.

“Business was really steady” immediately after filming, according to Heather, who says that the updated design “makes you smile when you walk in the door.” She adds, “People just love the new flooring. Everyone wants to know where it was purchased so they can put it in their homes.”

As far as the food at her restaurant goes, Heather explains that she’s consistently sampling what’s being made in the kitchen. “I taste test all our products, such as our homemade mashers and our fresh [french] fries,” she says, noting that the eatery is serving many from-scratch offerings. “All the cooks are still seasoning things …. I am cooking some of our items. No more frozen mac and cheese. I now make my Nana’s homemade mac and cheese and our customers really seem to enjoy it. I also am making my own meatloaf and it seems to be a hit. And no more frozen fried chicken….I am making good ol’ Southern fried chicken.”

Jackie isn’t an employee at Heather’s anymore, according to Heather, who says, “It was just too difficult to be [Jackie's] mom and her boss all at the same time.” She adds that Courtney, Beth and Amber have adjusted well to the changes and that she and Courtney “have learned to discuss issues instead of yelling and screaming at each other.” Although Beth and Amber initially struggled with the updates, they’ve settled into their new reality, Heather says. “They weren’t liking some of my new guidelines at first, but they realized if they wanted a job, that they needed to follow them.”

Catch up on Restaurant: Impossible’s top-five video mashups with a look at the dirtiest restaurants, worst staff moments and most-emotional reveals ever featured on the show.

More from Restaurant Revisited:

Goombazz Big City Eatzz (December 18)
LBI Pancake House (December 8)
Ship Bottom Volunteer Fire Company (December 8)
Mike La Susa’s Italian Restaurant (December 4)
Seven (November 27)
Georgia Boy Cafe (November 20)
Coach Lamp Restaurant & Pub (November 13)
The Windsor 75 (November 6)
Ducky’s Family Restaurant (October 30)
Mama Campisi’s Restaurant (October 23)
Aponte’s Pizzeria (August 25)
Benner Street (July 28)
Hurley’s American Grille (July 21)
Kalico Kitchen (July 14)
Angelo’s (June 23)
Pier West Restaurant (June 16)
Pinehurst Country Lodge (June 9)
Bryan’s Smokehouse (May 26)
Wagon Wheel Family Restaurant (May 19)
Mom & Dad’s Italian Restaurant (May 12)
Smitty’s Restaurant (April 28)
Old World Italian Restaurant (April 21)
Joe Willy’s Seafood House (April 14)
Sweet Tea’s Restaurant & Catering (March 24)
Soup to Nuts Diner (March 17)
Caseyville Cafe (March 13)
Maniaci’s Italian Restaurant (March 10)
Dinner Bell Restaurant (February 27)
Nanny Goat’s Cafe & Feed Bin (February 20)
Sapori D’Italia (January 23)
Windseeker Restaurant (January 16)
Whiskey Creek Steakhouse (January 2)

Enter for a Chance to Win a Cutting Board Signed by The Kitchen Co-Hosts

This morning, The Kitchen co-hosts Geoffrey Zakarian, Jeff Mauro, Katie Lee, Marcela Valladolid and Sunny Anderson kicked off a brand-new second...

1. I really wanted to see if the profit margin had increased. Nobody is talking about that. 1/4 mil in debt I wanted to know what is happening. Food costs had to go up. Prices had to go up. Are locals willing to pay the higher prices?

2. lauren says:

Heather — Criticism for wearing a Red Sox jersey is the least of your concerns. Your attitude to feedback here is a definite concern! Many posting have not been to your restaurant and are just responding based on what they observed .. and there is feedback here from those who have been there post-makeover. Pay attention to both .. and please lose the attitude that came through in your comment.

3. Shirley says:

I watched the show because my daughter called and thought we knew Heathers husband, Bob, and we do. My husband is from Montana and I lived there for a while. Speaking from experience, owning any kind of business in a small town is difficult at best. The restaurants we have been in are not memorable by big city standards but are usually meeting places for locals. If the local people like it and support it, she will do OK, if not she won't. I wish you luck Heather and, if we travel your way, we will stop in and see you and Flash.

4. a nice parent. says:

Courtney is the favored one because she is obese like Heather. Jackie is smokin' and her mom and sis are jealous. Children should be treated the same.

• James says:

good good… let the small town hate flow through you.

• a nice parent says:

How is that small time hate?

• James says:

If you have to ask, there is no point trying to explain. Just go on with your life saying hurtful things about people.

• a nice parent says:

I think it's fair to say that the one being hurtful was Heather. You have a favorite child I take it then? I do not see how making that observation turns into small town hate. Whether it's a small town or a metropolis victimizing your child in favor of another is just plain wrong.

• Guest says:

As a "nice parent", why are you being so shallow and demeaning? I sure hope that you don't judge your children by their physical appearance like you do others! I would hope you would be outraged if someone said such hateful and inappropriate things about your family. Perhaps you need to spend more time looking at your internal flaws instead of the outside "flaws" in others that you are making so important. If we all do that, imagine how much better things could be?!

• Guest says:

5. Linda says:

We wish Heather & her family & all the employees all the luck & best wishes & prayers in the world!!… Even tho Plains is small we do have at least 2 other very good sit-down restaurant in Plains & a good soup & sandwich shop her in our little town & some quick deli bars here!! Love Plains, Montana U.S.A.!!!

6. peter allen says:

I owned a restaurant in Forsyth and also Coal Strip in the late 70's and don't remember having that much trouble with servers, they were mostly young kids and good workers but they had to be trained. Heather was really lucky to have robt. irvine give her a hand sure hope she pays attention to what she has been given.

7. Local Customer says:

we are locals, and don't go out for meals very often because I am a good cook….but we chose Heathers because of the new variations on the menu, we have a large family, and have lots of different 'dieters', ie: carnivores, vegetarians, vegans and gluten free. Heathers new menu offers good tasting choices for all types of diets and I am grateful for the options! They are not available anywhere else in Plains. I read all the previous comments and I guess I want to say, I take my hat off to Heather and her family, they really put themselves out there, and have received a lot of comments that seem to attack the personalities and relationships of the family. I don't think any of that negative energy reflects on Heather or her family, but only on the person needing to criticize, accuse and belittle. Good luck to you Heather! You are not only serving up good food, but providing employment for good people. The best of everything to you all!

8. guest says:

One thing workers need to understand….. The customers are the ones making their paycheck, all the owner or manager does is sign the checks…

In other words with out the customer their will be no paycheck!!

Listen to your customers they aren't giving negative feedback to hurt you but to educate you on what needs to be improved.

I would love to see Heather's make it but only those working their can make it happen…..treat your customers as you would want to be treated if you went out to eat.

9. James says:

Found this article about Heather's Kitchen after prom breakfast.