Grown-Up Sabotage in a Kid-Size Kitchen — Alton’s After-Show

by in Shows, January 12th, 2014

From competition and available prize money to chefs’ hopes and judges’ expectations, Cutthroat Kitchen isn’t short on anything, least of all sabotage. But tonight the contest took a turn for the pintsize in Round 3, when Chef Midgley found himself cooking strawberry shortcake in a tiny kids’ kitchen, equipped with a miniscule sink, toaster oven and induction range, as well as petite utensils.

“If you can only imagine in your mind’s eye big ol’ mitts on that guy using these little-bitty tools,” Alton said to Simon after he revealed the play-size setup to the judge on his After-Show. “I probably would have cried and run off into the corner,” Simon joked of how he may have approached this challenge, as he and Alton crouched down next to it. It turns out, however, that Chef Midgley found success with this sabotage, as he completed the round on time and presented Simon with a dish superior to his rival’s balsamic-soaked plate.

Click the play button on the video above to hear more from Simon and Alton, and take a look at the kid-size kitchen in which Chef Midgley was forced to work.

Tune in to an all-new episode of Cutthroat Kitchen on Sunday, Jan. 19 at 10pm/9c.

Chatting with the Chopped Teen Tournament, Part 3 Winner

Four young chefs-in-training entered the competition on tonight’s third episode of the five-part Chopped Teen Tournament. But only one kid made ...

1. barbara arends says:

next time it would be even funnier to see someone use a easy bake oven. nothing like cooking with a 100 watt light bulb.

2. Jackie Spencer says:

Alton – at the beginning of the year many churches go on a fast. Many use the Daniel Fast which is a 21 Day, no meat no dairy, no white processed sugar or flour products type of fast. I would love to see you come up with some tasty dishes that people can eat on this fast.

• MoHub says:

That's a fast? That's pretty close to a standard vegan diet.

Yom Kippur is a fast. No food or drink of any kind for 25 hours, and technically, you're not even supposed to brush your teeth.

3. just me says:

when I read all of these, I'm so hungry! :))

4. Joni says:

I want one of these mini kitchens how do i get one please tell me because i would love to cook
    on one of these but owning it would be even better!

5. matt says:

Damn! I reallly want to watch this but there is no closed captions. Oh well.

6. MoHub says:

Interesting that Mike Midgley is the third Top Chef alumnus to win Cutthroat Kitchen. The competition experience must help.

7. Mimi says:

I need to know the source of the mini kitchen….I want one!