Chicken Thighs Are the New Bacon? Yes, According to Jeff Mauro

by in Recipes, January 8th, 2014

Grilled Citrus-Marinated Chicken ThighsThe new year is full of uncertain futures and vast possibilities, and often with those come predictions for what will be especially hot topics and what will be old news over the next 12 months. Mere days into 2014, Jeff Mauro revealed on last week’s premiere episode of The Kitchen that among the year’s food trends, he thinks chicken thighs will gain huge popularity — and perhaps even replace the ever-present bacon.

While few eat an entire plate of bacon for supper, chicken thighs are indeed a meal in and of themselves, and, best of all, they’re simple to cook and easy on the wallet. Since thighs tend to be a bit fattier than chicken breasts, they’re far more flavorful, and can be prepared in any number of ways. Try roasting them with garlic, grilling them with fresh herbs and citrusor braising them in a rich sauce. No matter how you cook chicken thighs, you can be sure you’ll end up with juicy, tender meat that the whole family will enjoy.

Check out a few of Food Network’s favorite chicken thigh recipes after the jump, then tell FN Dish in the comments below what food trends you’re hoping to see in 2014.

Chicken Thigh Recipes:

Tune in to an all-new episode of The Kitchen on Saturday, Jan. 11 at 11am/10c.

Grilled Shiitake and Tofu Banh Mi — Meatless Monday

Chicken, burgers, brats and barbecue may be all the rage on Labor Day, but you don’t have to forgo your plans for Meatless Monday on account of ...

1. Parsley says:

Pork fat rules! Emeril was right. Bacon will never go out of style.

Chicken is ok but somewhat bland. Not a trendsetter. Trends never last. Bacon is better. Garlic & herbs can be used in 100 other things besides chicken thighs, nice as they are. Someone else, has already posted that what is old becomes new again. True but yawn-worthy. And then people try to combat that by combining things that just don't go together. Crazy combinations. Trendiness. Original. Justin Warner was like that and all about being outside the box. He was sooo outside the box almost no one would serve what he made to anyone else. So was Russell Jackson. So much for originality.

Everybody wants to be the creator of the hottest new trend. But they either mistake bland for healthy or else they throw anything and everything together and call it–new. Regardless of flavor.

I would be in favor of people eating more protein, veggies, fruits. But people will always want bacon, chili, beef, pasta, and beer. Moderation is good. I really love a good roasted chicken but it will never be the new bacon. There's no substitute.

2. Allison says:

Maybe we should call Jan.2-8, Jeff Mauro Days. Are all the pics we keep seeing of him the networks way of priming us for a new show of his? Will he make more sandwiches or do stand-up comedy? Talk shows are boring. Too bad Aaron McCargo isn't on during the week. I love his recipes.

3. Joreen says:

We've beem all about the chicken thighs lately. Although they'll never replace bacon as an absolute good, they're about the most economical meal to make and do well in the oven, crock pot,soups or grill.

I'd be happy to see Jeff more, especially if he works with foods that are good as well as easy on the wallet.

4. @Distilled1 says:

"Try roasting them with garlic, grilling them with fresh herbs and citrus, or braising them in a rich sauce. No matter how you cook chicken thighs" …

I smoke mine with bacon on top .. BACON!!!!

5. JOjo says:

It looks good and I guess I would taste good.. one of my favorite book when it comes to cooking is http://bit.ly/19kBFMZ

6. Karen says:

Have been using them in everything for years great in cacciatore.

7. @MomWizCom says:

I've been enjoying what I call "chicken bacon" for over a decade! Just separate the skin and fry as you would bacon, with enough salt to satisfy. Even makes a great BLT!

8. Elizabeth says:

I heartily agree with Parsley. I love Bacon and I also love Chicken thighs, but it won't replace bacon.

I agree a sandwich with thigh meat, lettuce and tomato make a terrific sandwich, but it still lacks the taste you get with BACON!