Alton’s Dream Cutthroat Kitchen Sabotages Revealed

by in Food Network Chef, Shows, January 29th, 2014

Alton's Dream Cutthroat Kitchen Sabotages RevealedLet’s set the scene: utensils made from aluminum, no salt, missing ingredients and an evilicious grin to top it off. These are all the ingredients that make up Cutthroat Kitchen. Every Sunday night, Alton dishes out sabotages that can trip up even the best of chefs — but here’s the kicker: Alton truly enjoys watching the chefs distribute and overcome the obstacles that are thrown at them.

“I love seeing people play the game, so anything that accentuates that, I’m a fan of. I grew up loving game shows,” Alton recently told FN Dish on the set of his show. “The auctioning segments are my favorite part — I enjoy the strategies used by the chefs,” he continued saying.

So what’s Alton’s dream sabotage? “When it comes to the sabotages, I can envision episodes that take place off set, like outside challenges. Though I don’t necessarily think that bigger is always better,” Alton said. “For instance, I would love to do a show where the sabotages aren’t decided until after the chefs have shopped. Where we’re changing the game as the game goes along. Or another idea I like would be to give them more options: Which would you rather face? Why not give them the opportunity to choose the paths that they would take, like on an obstacle course?”

More from Cutthroat Kitchen:

Chatting with the Chopped Teen Tournament, Part 3 Winner

Four young chefs-in-training entered the competition on tonight’s third episode of the five-part Chopped Teen Tournament. But only one kid made ...

1. Vinn says:

Idea for Sabotage in the middle of the round: One player must trash everything that is on a heat source and make it again.

2. John M. says:

I don't know if someone has suggested this sabotage; but make one have to incorporate truffle oil into there dish and another have to use sweet chili sauce.

3. Dani W says:

I think a good sabotage would be for one of the chefs to have to use a pair of kids safety scissors to cut and chop everything in the round. I also think it would be cool to see a Cutthroat Kitchen viewer be the judge in an episode.

4. Angel P says:

A good sabotage would be to auction off s chance to cut a competitors shopping time in half.

5. Randall B says:

How about this for a sabotage (maybe in a pasta challenge or something with tomato sauce)
    The contestant substitute their tomato paste/sauce, tomatoes and anything used to make a sauce for the sauce in a frozen microwavable meal that they will have to thaw out before using

6. Nathan says:

I would like them do a Cutthroat Kitchen show where the contestants are teenagers competing for money for college scholarship or culinary school. The sabotages would be thing more teenage in nature as well, ie having to wear sagging pants, wear gloves fitted with extremely long fingernails, cell phone taped to both hands, stop in the middle of cooking and having to text a entire page of some story/recipe/book to Alton, etc. Then like they did when the usual judges were competing for charity, the winner is given then full $25K and the others $5K. Could do it as a 5 episode tournament as well: $25 K to overall winner, $7.5 to 10K for the 3 runners up, and $2.5 to 5K to all the other contestants. Just a thought.