Alton’s Dream Cutthroat Kitchen Sabotages Revealed

by in Food Network Chef, Shows, January 29th, 2014

Alton's Dream Cutthroat Kitchen Sabotages RevealedLet’s set the scene: utensils made from aluminum, no salt, missing ingredients and an evilicious grin to top it off. These are all the ingredients that make up Cutthroat Kitchen. Every Sunday night, Alton dishes out sabotages that can trip up even the best of chefs — but here’s the kicker: Alton truly enjoys watching the chefs distribute and overcome the obstacles that are thrown at them.

“I love seeing people play the game, so anything that accentuates that, I’m a fan of. I grew up loving game shows,” Alton recently told FN Dish on the set of his show. “The auctioning segments are my favorite part — I enjoy the strategies used by the chefs,” he continued saying.

So what’s Alton’s dream sabotage? “When it comes to the sabotages, I can envision episodes that take place off set, like outside challenges. Though I don’t necessarily think that bigger is always better,” Alton said. “For instance, I would love to do a show where the sabotages aren’t decided until after the chefs have shopped. Where we’re changing the game as the game goes along. Or another idea I like would be to give them more options: Which would you rather face? Why not give them the opportunity to choose the paths that they would take, like on an obstacle course?”

More from Cutthroat Kitchen:

Alton Brown to Host the 2015 James Beard Foundation Awards

Guess who’s hosting the 2015 James Beard Foundation Awards, the culinary world’s answer to the Oscars? Food Network's own Alton Brown....

1. Kathy Bingham says:

What about a shopping cart for a preparation table? You could even have attached utensils

2. Jose R. says:

Absolutely LOVE this show. I am in the military and when we eat in the field, we use MRE's, Meal Ready to Eat. There is a heater in the pack, along with plastic utensils, salt and pepper packs, hot sauce, either cheese of some sort, or peanut butter and jelly, or some combination of those. There is a main meal, a "side dish", and a dessert. it would be pretty interesting to see them try and use the ingredients in the MRE's to create a great dish. There are dozens of different meals available in MRE's, so there are many different options to go with.

Another idea, just given to me by my wife, is using the food that NASA gives to their astronauts when they are in space. HAHAHAHA…..I love my wife!!

How about setting up a tent and they have to sit inside and use is as their prep station, and the ever so famous camp stove as their only heat source. And oh yeah, by the way, they must use camping cooking utensils.

3. William Bush says:

Have them make A chowder or minestrone or something similar. Halfway through the cooking time have the sabotage be a colander. Someone has to strain the liquid out of their dish.

4. Arnold Oliver says:

Pick up the pace, with these pick-up-stix. Everything you need to pick up or cook, you will
    need to use the pick up stix. of course knifes would be exempt, you can't pick up knives with'em.

5. Donnie Byrd says:

I would love to see Chef Ramsay on cutthroat kitchen to see if he got the ball to do it.

6. carol says:

My idea is a round robin of the chefs getting to remove one ingredient from each others basket, however they must eat whatever they picked out. This comes from trying to cook with a toddler in the kitchen.

7. carol says:

8. Katrina says:

Love the show!
    A deck of cards with pictures of ingredients on them (two cards per ingredient). Shuffle and place face down on a table. The contestant has a set amount of time to turn over two cards at a time. If the ingredient cards match, they must use it in their dish. If not, the cards are turned back over and the contestant tries to make a match again until they’re successful.
    It’s a version of the child’s card game growing up. I just can’t remember the name of it.

9. Katrina says: