Get dinner on the table quicker tonight with key ingredients that take only a few minutes of prep, plus ready-to-go buys that’ll save time.
1. Couscous: As versatile as rice, this staple only takes a matter of minutes to cook before it’s ready for your table. It’s great as a side dish, in a soup or used as a stuffing.
2. Chopped butternut squash: This winter squash is low in fat and filled with antioxidants. It’s delicious when roasted until browned for a side dish or chopped and baked on top of a pizza. Buying it already chopped up saves at least 15 minutes’ worth of prep time.
3. Precooked polenta: You can pick up polenta in premade rolls or squares; it’s the perfect stand-in for pasta, rice or bread. Try making slices for personal pizzas or chop and add it to a stir-fry.
4. Rotisserie chicken: Save up to two hours of prep time by picking up cooked and ready-to-use chicken that can work as a quick snack but is also filling enough for a main course.
5. Refrigerated pizza dough: Skip making homemade dough and use store-bought instead for pizza and calzones. Or stretch the dough extra thin and turn it into a flatbread.
More Supermarket Shopping Tips: