14 Things You Didn’t Know About Alton Brown

by in Food Network Chef, Shows, January 14th, 2014

10 Things You Didn't Know About Alton BrownMost fans believe Alton Brown‘s a walking food dictionary (and he is). He’s the ultimate commentator on Iron Chef America, he’s a mentor and judge on Food Network Star and no one will ever forget Good Eats. But there’s still so much to learn about this pillar of Food Network. FN Dish caught up with Alton on the set of his newest show, Cutthroat Kitchen, where he chatted about survival techniques for future competitors and even a couple things you may not know about the man who so many admire and look up to.

1. When Alton was younger, he always thought he would end up directing movies, which is what he trained for. “Only I got sidestepped into commercials for a long time.”

2. Alton spends a lot of time flying airplanes.

3. Alton plays multiple instruments including the guitar. “I always travel with a guitar when I’m on the road.” He also sings with his trio on his live tour.

4. Going along with music: Alton almost always listens to music while he cooks. The playlist depends on the day. “I’m anywhere from opera to Led Zeppelin — and everywhere in between. My daughter is 14 and listens to a lot of pop stuff, so I tend to gravitate way, far away from whatever she’s listening to. I have music on in the kitchen all the time. The last 10 things I cooked were probably to mid-’70s Elton John,” Alton shared with FN Dish.

5. Alton is terrified of calf’s liver. “I’ve tried it and I can’t make it edible. I don’t like anyone else’s either — and mine is just worse,” Alton adds.

6. “While I like eating artichokes, I hate cooking them. It’s so much work. Who decided we should even eat that?”

7. “I love watches, though my collection is small.”

8. Alton has a lot of glasses. “When you have to wear them every day, you tend to switch them up.”

9. Alton’s bow tie collection: “I have 200 bow ties at home. I inherited most of them. When an art school professor retired, he sent me his collection, which was 145 bow ties that he collected over a 30-year period.”

10. What’s the most-memorable item Alton’s received from a fan? “Just last year someone gave me a homemade ceramic dog treat jar made to look like my corgi, Sparky. And darn if it doesn’t look just like him.”

11. “I’m addicted to canned sardines,” Alton admits.

12. When Alton was a kid, he wanted to be Jacques Cousteau.

13. “I would ride a motorcycle every day if I could.”

14. Alton has over 2,000 cookbooks in the library at his office.

Try a Hearty Breakfast-Inspired Skillet for Dinner Tonight

On this week’s Chopped Dinner Challenge, the chefs of Food Network Kitchen chose to feature the basket ingredient turnips. In order to create a ...

1. snndee says:

there's only 1 food on the planet that i absolutely CANNOT eat…that being 'liver'…..it just comes right back up….and it's just nice to know that someone with as finely developed of a palate as Alton has dislikes it too….
    Alton has always been one of my favorites on Food Network; i agree with what others have said, he should compete on Iron Chef….i think he could really shine!!!

• Cindy says:

Try Soaking it in 2% milk…the night before you cook it… dry Flour, salt, pepper on meat lightly in flour medium amount, wet 1/2 cup fresh milk and 1 or 2 eggs your choice, dredge back and forth between both mixture of dry & wet let sit while you heat oil of your choice but not extra virgin olive oil to raw tasting… when oil is hot place meat in and 1 small to medium sliced onion…also if you like them, 1 Sweet bell peppers A pinch or two of salt over your veggies fry till onions are slightly browned.. and a golden brown on the breading of the meat…

2. Carol says:

I am a science teacher and a former family and consumer science teacher. I love the way Alton ties the science to cooking. Since Family and Consumer science (Home Ec) is being dropped from most curriculum, Alton's show serves a very educational purpose.

3. Guest says:

Yeah. Fun fella. Obviously very brilliant too. It's amazing how talented some folks are. Hey Alton, you can have all my cookbooks ….. I've about 500. Been collecting since a young kid.

4. TfromB says:

While i don't enjoy the viciousness of Cutthroat, I DO appreciate the creativity to win after saboutage… it's just like being at home without a vehicle to run out for the one item you're missing for a recipe. Or after messing up the recipe and trying to recover.
    My sons all love to cook thanks to AB.

5. judy says:

Liver gets a bad rap! Calves liver is especially good when well prepared…..fried with caramelized
    onions, mushrooms and served with a side of grits covered with the onions and mushrooms. Mmmmmm
    delicious!
    Not so good for your cholesterol!

6. Jim says:

Calf liver prepared properly makes fine shoe leather.

7. birdies says:

i love alton but i do wish he would remove the beard, he looks old and tired, it is so gray, i would like to see that handsome face and the nice smile again….. please shave it off !!!!!!

8. Kim says:

My big question from Good Eats…is W for Wife?

9. brit says:

Alton Brown is probably the rudest person I have ever met. He screamed at me at my place of employment like an idiot who has no class! This is very sad because I was a very big fan of his since he started his Good Eats show. Someone of his status should learn to reat people better. Just because you rake in money by the truck loads doesnt mean you can treat people any type of way.