Cooking Without Necessities — Alton’s After-Show

by in Shows, December 29th, 2013

While Cutthroat Kitchen judges are quick to taste the food before them in each round of evilicious competition on the show, they don’t know exactly how that dish came to be, what ingredients were used to prepare it and which methods were undertaken to produce it. For help in clarifying the unknown, host Alton Brown sits down with the judges in his Web-exclusive After-Show to break down the ins and outs of the challenges; this week, he and Antonia Lofaso chatted about the latest contest to unfold.

Traditional wonton wrappers may seem like a must-have ingredient for chefs tasked with preparing pot stickers, but in Round 1, three of the four competitors were forced to work with wontons in other forms, like honey-soaked wontons, frozen wontons and wonton soup. Thinking about the offerings she had just tasted, Antonia correctly guessed that Chef Velez was the one fortunate enough to work with the fresh product. Although she was initially hesitant about Chef Miranda’s dish, which was crafted out of frozen wontons and featured cabbage-wrapped bites, Antonia ultimately told the finalist, “I’m not mad at it.” Later she explained to Alton: “When someone says ‘pot sticker,’ you have this idea in your head of exactly what you want. So when I walk over and there’s cabbage, and I’m like, am I going to get that texture on the outside? Am I going to get that little bit of, like, char? And then I really enjoyed it.”

Click the play button on the video above to hear from Antonia and Alton, and learn their thoughts on what went down in Rounds 2 and 3 of the contest.

Tune in to an all-new episode of Cutthroat Kitchen on Sunday, Jan. 5, 2014, at 10pm/9c.

What to Watch: Let Food Network Magazine Take You On a Cross-Country Culinary Tour

Join Bobby Flay and Food Network Magazine on a cross-country culinary expedition to find the most-delicious dishes in the country....

1. MDawn says:

The mexican lady on cut throat kitchen – HELLO – been on chopped twice and also I believe with restaurant impossible with Robert Ivine…. any reason WHY you keep entertaining her failures – your audience doesn't want to hear how good or ''pretty'' she is… stay in tuned with your audience…..

• slapchopped says:

So I wasn't crazy in thinking I'd seen her before!

• Mgregory says:

I know, I have seen her too many times on Food network shows. She was a dismal cook at her own restaurant she shared with her then husband. She had that air that she was much too good then and also on Chopped as well. I found her extremely annoying then on Irving's show as well as the latest shows she's been invited to.

2. Unknown says:

She has also been on Kitchen Nightmares and Chef Wanted. These reality shows are never going to be real it's scripted as hell just take it with a grain of salt.

3. Spud says:

Just once in my life I'd like to see someone else have a clipboard in their hand and rate or put Alton on the hot seat.

4. gina says:

The network's ratings are down. See FoodNetworkGossip. They need to get back to what made them good in the first place, cooking, teaching, recipes, not sabotage or reality shows.

• Bill says:

No kidding right? I remember when Food Network was good, it hasn't been in years…

• Steve says:

Guy's Grocery Games had 2m viewers in October but has now settled for 1.4m. Cutthroat Kitchen has been at about 1.6m, and Chopped at about 1.5m.

It'll be interesting to see what happens next.

• Guest says:

I miss the shows they used to have showing how to cook regular food, with tips and tricks. Can't remember the name of the one show I used to see weekend mornings, but it was a young guy in NYC who talked about his grandmother a lot. Sometimes he'd do a show that could result in meals for a week.

5. Mgregory says:

I do feel badly for some of these cut throat contestants. I do watch this show, am surprised how some really up there game by having to use tin foil tools, no fryers, ect. I felt so badly for the poor girl who had to concoct chicken and waffles out of canned chicken, that isn't fit for a dog to eat. Yuck….

6. carla says:

i watch it more when paula dean was on