#TBT: Ina Garten

by in Food Network Chef, November 7th, 2013

Ina GartenIt’s Thursday, and while that means everyone is just one day away from the weekend, it also means it’s time to throw back — to an earlier period in Food Network’s history. Check back on FN Dish every Thursday to find the latest #tbt of your favorite chefs and get a retro look at their earliest days on TV.

Before Ina Garten was known as the Barefoot Contessa, she was working in Washington, D.C., at America’s most famous address: 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. While at the White House, she focused on nuclear energy policy; it wasn’t until later that she learned she was destined for a life in food. In 1978 Ina and her husband, Jeffrey, bought Barefoot Contessa, a specialty food shop in the Hamptons on Long Island. After years under Ina’s leadership, the once-tiny store had been transformed into a thriving business with dozens of employees and a stellar local reputation. She eventually sold Barefoot Contessa in 1996, but the nickname stuck with her, so much so that her first Food Network show premiered with that title in 2005.

When it comes to cooking, Ina has a passion for creating feasts that are at once familiar and fancy with the best, freshest ingredients available, which is something she’s tried to instill in her fans as well. Each week on Barefoot Contessa, Ina highlights a theme, event or ingredient that’s particularly relevant to her, and she features it in recipes that are not only accessible and easy to prepare but deliciously satisfying as well. Some of her most lauded dishes include Engagement Roast ChickenMac and Cheese and Beatty’s Chocolate Cake, but she’s known to create dressed-up plates as well, like Salmon with Lentils and Croissant Bread Pudding. No matter the cuisine and meal, however, Ina’s sure to incorporate can-do techniques and handy tips to help viewers re-create her recipes with ease.

This Thanksgiving, prepare a celebration-worthy spread with the help of Ina’s no-fail recipes. Watch her videos to learn how she hosts an Easy, Elegant Thanksgiving at home.

Related Reading:

#TBT: Aarón Sánchez
#TBT: Rachael Ray
#TBT: Tyler Florence
#TBT: Anne Burrell

Mr. Brown to the Rescue: Alton Answers Fans’ Holiday Cooking Q&As

Hear from Alton as he answers fans' questions on holiday party prep, and get his tried-and-true recipes you can count on....

1. portia says:

Ina's a gem!

2. mlp says:

Ina is the BEST…. would love to see her on more and on some of the other shows as a guest judge, etc.
    Her recipes are 100% guaranteed DELICIOUS!

3. Carol says:

Ina is one of the most imaginative personalities on the Food Network. She also made some good suggestions for the french recipes she makes. I wish I could email her with my questions at any time. Thank you, Ina.

4. Mayette Dunevitz says:

Ina's recipe are easy and delicious, her Regulah cookies are divine better than one you buy at the bakery. My most favorite recipe is her roasted Chicken. Thank you Ina for sharing all your recipe.

5. @lsewong101 says:

Ina's a Fantastic Cook, I love her cooking methods and her show is Great and I own a few restaurants from New York to California.I see her show on t.v. network, she's a lot of fun to watch…..keep up the goood work!!!

6. theresa says:

Watch her almost ever day for 2 1/2hr shows. Most of her recipes are easy and things you have on hand. Just would like more recipes for two.

7. Bonnie says:

Ina I think you are wonderful… after years and years of cooking I was tired hated even thinking about
    cooking a meal then I started watching your show (10 yrs ago) fell in love with cooking again I found it
    exciting and creative everything I tried was perfect … I have found myself loving the idea of cooking
    a recipe ,I find myself smiling when I am chopping , stirring even cleaning up .
    Did I mention I am 72 years old….

8. Elaine says:

Ina, you were the star of Thanksgiving Live. Thank you for being gracious, knowledgeable and concise.

9. Anna says:

Ina ,you are the best,so polished ,polite and pleasant it was great seeing you on the thanksgiving show,please come back next year. Love you and I have all your cookbooks

10. Jenny says:

Where is Ina's applesauce recipe ? I didnt get on the thanksgiving like show; Ina you talk to fast.