Restaurant Revisited: Soul Searching at Georgia Boy Cafe

by in Shows, November 20th, 2013

Robert Irvine on Restaurant: ImpossibleOverrun with filth in the front of house and back, Georgia Boy Cafe in Hagerstown, Md., was in desperate need of rescuing when Robert Irvine and his Restaurant: Impossible team arrived. Perhaps more than the restaurant, however, the relationship between the owners, partners Chuck Holman and Montez Dorsey, was on the brink of ruin, as their lack of communication and stress about the business were tearing them apart — and ultimately having a damaging effect on their eatery. With just two days to work and a budget of only $10,000, Robert relaunched Georgia Boy Cafe with a contemporary interior design and overhauled menu to match. FN Dish caught up with Chuck and Montez a few weeks after Robert left to find out how their business is doing today.

“The business is doing much better than before the show,” Chuck and Montez tell FN Dish. “We are … being more creative on ways to get customers in the door, and not only having new customers but repeat customers.”

Much of Robert’s menu is still in place at Georgia Boy, but the guys explain a few tweaks. “We have made some seasonal changes to the menu for the salads,” they note. “We have found that Robert’s way of cooking chicken has helped us a lot on service time, but we had to speed up the process even more due to the need of the oven for other menu items. But [it's] the same concept he would be proud [of].”

The grime and bacteria were overflowing in the kitchen at Georgia Boy Cafe when Robert first arrived, but Chuck and Montez say that, since Robert left, “cleaning is done on a nightly basis in the kitchen by doing a complete teardown.” They add, ” The front of house cleans nightly, and [there is a] more-thorough cleaning once a week.”

Chuck is now the back-of-house manager, and new chefs have joined the team since the renovation. “I have found that this has helped a great deal in the kitchen,” Chuck says. “I now have employees that love their job, which makes their performance better because their focus is on growing the business.”

In terms of their personal relationship, Chuck tells FN Dish, “I feel that it is going better, but we still have a long way to go.” And Montez agrees, adding, “Things are getting better very slowly.”

Want to watch the top-five video mash-ups of the best moments of Restaurant: Impossible? Check out the dirtiest restaurants, plus owner arguments and meltdowns.

More from Restaurant Revisited:

Coach Lamp Restaurant & Pub (November 13)
The Windsor 75 (November 6)
Ducky’s Family Restaurant (October 30)
Mama Campisi’s Restaurant (October 23)
Aponte’s Pizzeria (August 25)
Benner Street (July 28)
Hurley’s American Grille (July 21)
Kalico Kitchen (July 14)
Angelo’s (June 23)
Pier West Restaurant (June 16)
Pinehurst Country Lodge (June 9)
Bryan’s Smokehouse (May 26)
Wagon Wheel Family Restaurant (May 19)
Mom & Dad’s Italian Restaurant (May 12)
Smitty’s Restaurant (April 28)
Old World Italian Restaurant (April 21)
Joe Willy’s Seafood House (April 14)
Sweet Tea’s Restaurant & Catering (March 24)
Soup to Nuts Diner (March 17)
Caseyville Cafe (March 13)
Maniaci’s Italian Restaurant (March 10)
Dinner Bell Restaurant (February 27)
Nanny Goat’s Cafe & Feed Bin (February 20)
Sapori D’Italia (January 23)
Windseeker Restaurant (January 16)
Whiskey Creek Steakhouse (January 2)

Celebrate Thanksgiving with Food Network in November

Thanksgiving is coming! Thanksgiving is coming! And it’s certainly not something we take lightly here at Food Network. Why? Because it’s a...

1. yyyass says:

Like a lot of these restaurants, this one suffered from the fact the owner (or one of the owners) basically just wants to be a cook. Not a "chef" that delegates, manages, and creates menus, programs etc….but a cook. They don't like to manage or apparently understand management and ownership responsibilities. They like cooking all day like one of their cooks – and that is a recipe (no pun intended) for failure when you don't have someone else running the operation completely. It's akin to buying a hotel because you like doing maintenance and cleaning hotel rooms, or running a design firm because you like to draw on the computer. That's what they make employees for. Owners gotta own.

2. RiverDalton says:

I don't know what will happen with Chuck and Montez, I seriously hope they will make it as a couple. Although Chuck's statement that this experience was the end to eight years of hell stunned me. Eight years is a long time to be so unhappy and it showed in both guys.
    I was proud of Robert Irvine and the RI producers for putting the focus on a gay couple, as well as their business. I think Irvine is usually over the top but this episode made him much more likable. I got the sense that he actually cared about these guys and not just maintaining his tough TV persona. Do this more Chef, if works for you.
    Georgia Boy looks like a restaurant I'd love to go to and their new web site looks amazing. Good luck to all involved!

3. Robert Bingleton says:

I love that the admins have deleted comments. Thats AWESOME. Glad to see free speech is alive and well. As for the show… I've watched nearly every episode and have done more than a little head scratching at the design elements used. It seems like for a restaurant already struggling with cleanliness issues the designers often add things that exacerbate the need to clean vs making that easier. Shadow boxes, crazy shelves, 3D wall art, fancy chandeliers, all of that needs to be dusted. Not saying that's what they did in this particular episode, but it is what they do often. My family stopped watching this episode the moment we found out the two guys were a "couple"… *rolls eyes and waits to be deleted*

• Dan says:

Free speech gives you the right to create a blog and say whatever you choose to say on it not post whatever you want on someone else's site. Duh.

• GiveARat's says:

I agree completely about the designs and potential housekeeping issues.

I feel sorry for you and your family (especially if that includes impressionable young people) if a same-gender couple caused you to stop watching. That is really sad.

• bosfaninva says:

Let me guess, you consider yourself a "constitutional conservative."

• Betty says:

Free speech is alive and well. I'm glad you shared your bigoted views. You should put a sign outside your house so everyone in your neighborhood knows your values and feelings towards others.

• ritgar says:

Geez – you must not be watching too much TV at all if you turn off every show with a gay person. Too bad you are missing great FN shows like Chopped, Secrets of a Restaurant Chef, Chef Wanted, Guys Grocery Games, Diners Drive Ins and Dives, Celebrity Cookoff, Chef Wanted, Iron Chef, etc, etc, etc. Oh, and CNN, MSCNBC, ABC, NBS, CBS, HBO, Sci-Fi, Hallmark, BBC America, Travel Channel, A&E, CNBC, History Channel, NFL Network, and more etc. – well, everything actually. Toss your TV, you're toast. Lock yourself in your safe-room, we will call you after the apocalypse.

• Steve G says:

Closed minded IDIOT and HOMOPHOBE. Enough said.

4. Carrie Ann says:

Hey all thanks for all the comments about the show . I wish it had been more positive circumstances , but this show was a dream come true for me !,I'm a huge food network fan and Hagerstown , md resident . It was soo cool to see robert work and be on national tv ! I went to Georgia boy a few weeks after the renovation and we had a good meal .i Wish chuck and Montez the best !,

5. p. Kirby says:

Live in Hagerstown, MD. Seen episode. Unfortunately Georgia Boy Cafe is being put up to least and /or for sale. Never had a chance to visit and try their food.

• Richard says:

DITTO:
      Georgia Boy is out of the Park Permanentaly. Really did not do that good as they claimed. I went there and got the famous fried chicken. It was not cooked thru and chef claimed I was wrong. What I still want to know is where Robert Irvine ate while he was in town? Did he goto Bulls and Bears?

6. Angela says:

Georgia boy restaurant was a big fail. Not even one week after Robert was here in Hagerstown, my son and I went for dinner and it was not good. The chicken pot pie had bones in it. The crust was burnt. I complained and they took my meal off the bill. I still paid well over twenty dollars for my 10 year to eat. Will never go back.