Restaurant Revisited: Soul Searching at Georgia Boy Cafe

by in Shows, November 20th, 2013

Robert Irvine on Restaurant: ImpossibleOverrun with filth in the front of house and back, Georgia Boy Cafe in Hagerstown, Md., was in desperate need of rescuing when Robert Irvine and his Restaurant: Impossible team arrived. Perhaps more than the restaurant, however, the relationship between the owners, partners Chuck Holman and Montez Dorsey, was on the brink of ruin, as their lack of communication and stress about the business were tearing them apart — and ultimately having a damaging effect on their eatery. With just two days to work and a budget of only $10,000, Robert relaunched Georgia Boy Cafe with a contemporary interior design and overhauled menu to match. FN Dish caught up with Chuck and Montez a few weeks after Robert left to find out how their business is doing today.

“The business is doing much better than before the show,” Chuck and Montez tell FN Dish. “We are … being more creative on ways to get customers in the door, and not only having new customers but repeat customers.”

Much of Robert’s menu is still in place at Georgia Boy, but the guys explain a few tweaks. “We have made some seasonal changes to the menu for the salads,” they note. “We have found that Robert’s way of cooking chicken has helped us a lot on service time, but we had to speed up the process even more due to the need of the oven for other menu items. But [it's] the same concept he would be proud [of].”

The grime and bacteria were overflowing in the kitchen at Georgia Boy Cafe when Robert first arrived, but Chuck and Montez say that, since Robert left, “cleaning is done on a nightly basis in the kitchen by doing a complete teardown.” They add, ” The front of house cleans nightly, and [there is a] more-thorough cleaning once a week.”

Chuck is now the back-of-house manager, and new chefs have joined the team since the renovation. “I have found that this has helped a great deal in the kitchen,” Chuck says. “I now have employees that love their job, which makes their performance better because their focus is on growing the business.”

In terms of their personal relationship, Chuck tells FN Dish, “I feel that it is going better, but we still have a long way to go.” And Montez agrees, adding, “Things are getting better very slowly.”

Want to watch the top-five video mash-ups of the best moments of Restaurant: Impossible? Check out the dirtiest restaurants, plus owner arguments and meltdowns.

More from Restaurant Revisited:

Coach Lamp Restaurant & Pub (November 13)
The Windsor 75 (November 6)
Ducky’s Family Restaurant (October 30)
Mama Campisi’s Restaurant (October 23)
Aponte’s Pizzeria (August 25)
Benner Street (July 28)
Hurley’s American Grille (July 21)
Kalico Kitchen (July 14)
Angelo’s (June 23)
Pier West Restaurant (June 16)
Pinehurst Country Lodge (June 9)
Bryan’s Smokehouse (May 26)
Wagon Wheel Family Restaurant (May 19)
Mom & Dad’s Italian Restaurant (May 12)
Smitty’s Restaurant (April 28)
Old World Italian Restaurant (April 21)
Joe Willy’s Seafood House (April 14)
Sweet Tea’s Restaurant & Catering (March 24)
Soup to Nuts Diner (March 17)
Caseyville Cafe (March 13)
Maniaci’s Italian Restaurant (March 10)
Dinner Bell Restaurant (February 27)
Nanny Goat’s Cafe & Feed Bin (February 20)
Sapori D’Italia (January 23)
Windseeker Restaurant (January 16)
Whiskey Creek Steakhouse (January 2)

Alton Brown, the Master of Eviliciousness, Dishes on Halloween

When it comes to dishing out culinary evils, no one does it quite like the host of Cutthroat Kitchen, Alton Brown. Now in its fifth season, Cutthroat...

1. Richa says:

The restaurant design is awesome :)

2. Emelless says:

How does Robert prepare the chicken before deepfrying in the Georgia Boy episode?

• Josh says:

He cooked it in the oven first, then cooled it down in the fridge before breading it . That way he didn't have to fry it so long because it was basically already cooked.

3. jepchamp says:

Did anyone else notice that the whites of Chuck's eyes seemed a bit yellow? I was wondering if there was some health issue, but nothing has been mentioned here.

4. Jessica says:

We went back about a week or two after the remodel. I'm not sure I buy the whole thing they are saying about the faster chicken cooking or better service. I waited 25 minutes just to get a glass of wine and my husband a rum and coke. My husband ordered the chicken and they told them it would take 20 minutes! I got the tempura crawfish app and the shrimp and grits. It was good I guess, I had better at a Triple D in Georgia, but I'd eat it again. The service was disappointing and then seeing the show and seeing how dirty the place was before the remodel was frightening!!! We also got dessert. I don't remember what my husband got, but I got a peach cobbler that said it was over bourbon ice cream, it was just vanilla and that was disappointing too. It was good enough that I'd give it a try again, but if the service wasn't any better, that would be the last time.

5. Cindi says:

willing to give it a shot;…. but what does this episode say about the Washington County Health Dept and the standards of all the other restaurants in our area? Seriously… how does an establishment go on national television and get ALL the blame… the health department and their inspections are supposed to prevent this- just as much as the owners of a business. Im not say saying they are clear… that was gross. but still, shut that kind of establishment down if it comes to it!

• David says:

I had the same thoughts as I watched the show. I live in Hagerstown, and it makes me wonder what's going on in the kitchen when I eat anywhere in Washington County now. Yuck!

• J.Who says:

I completely 1000000% agree and screamed when I saw this comment because its what I was saying !!!!!

• Tenisha says:

Well you know like most places they clean it up so they can pass inspection. People do that all the time, so its not always the county

• GiveARat's says:

The restaurant SHOULD get ALL of the blame. The health department does not have any responsibility beyond inspecting to ensure that proscribed standards are met at the time of inspection. They can't do any more than that… and it is entirely the responsibility of the establishment's owners to meet those standards, regardless of any health department intervention. Inspections can't prevent anything, so let's keep the blame where it belongs. If the owners and staff have any pride or conscience at all, a health inspection will reveal no issues.

The fact that in the food service industry the customer generally has no clue how their service is really being handled behind the scenes is not unique. It's true in most factions of the service sector. When was the last time you or some inspector was looking over your mechanic's shoulder while he worked on your car's brakes? Don't blame the apparent lack of inspections for shoddy work or service.

Maybe the local health department is understaffed, undertrained, or underfunded, and doesn't inspect as well or as often as they could. That's no excuse for an owner to disregard accepted standards of cleanliness and safety.

6. Margaret says:

It's obvious that Chuck does a lot more of the work, that's why he looks so beat-up and rather downcast. The other guy needs to roll up his sleeves more and actually take more control of the operations.

• annonymous says:

chuck looks that way because he is much older than Montez and id say no on the part of him doing a lot more work go in for yourself and find out. Montez handles a lot more than Chuck

7. Debbie says:

That's great! They need yall's support.

8. A Friend says:

As I suspected, the administrator will delete any comment that doesn't align with their point of view, thus preventing any open discussion. And they called ME narrow minded! lol.

9. Candie Disilvio says:

I really want to wish these two guys and their moms SOOO much luck. The restaurant looks amazing and you can tell that if they get their home life together the restaurant will follow. You can see the love they have for each other and I've never watched an episode where I hope so much that everything works out for both of them both personally and professional. Bless you both

10. Susan says:

Love Chef Robert! You are doing wonderful work with restaurants AND with people!!! This was a great episode to showcase that talent and I really appreciate how genuine you were through out the whole experience! You are a great combination of firm but compassionate…keep up the great work both here and on the "the bus" ;-) YOU ROCK!