10 Things You Didn’t Know About Guy Fieri

by in Food Network Chef, November 15th, 2013

10 Things You Didn't Know About Guy FieriYou know him for his trademark bleached hair, for flame-covered cooking gear, and, of course, his monster hit shows Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, Guy’s Big Bite and now Guy’s Grocery Games. But there’s plenty more that you don’t know about his royal dudeness, Guy Fieri. Read on to discover a few surprising insights the Food Network star shared during his cooking demo at this year’s New York City Wine & Food Festival.

1. He doesn’t believe in kid-friendly recipes. “What do your kids like to eat? That’s a good kid-friendly recipe,” he says. Even better: Ask them to help in the kitchen. “Get them involved with whatever you cook. Let them feel something!” It’ll turn picky eaters into enthusiastic ones, Guy says.

2. He’d take a wok over the grill any day. “The wok is one of my favorite things to work with when I’m camping,” he says. “Outdoor cooking is not just about hot dogs and hamburgers. There are so many styles of food you can make.”

3. His son Hunter is a better baker than he is. While son Ryder’s life revolves strictly around pizza, his eldest, Hunter, is more ambitious in the kitchen. “Hunter cooks a lot; he gets into it,” he says. “And he really likes to bake.” As for Guy: “I can’t bake anything. I’m the worst. My cakes always come out flat.”

4. His parents were hippies. “My parents were all into macrobiotic cooking and natural cooking, and my sister was a vegetarian. I wasn’t down with that,” he says. His picks? Meatballs, pork chops, chicken Parm and steak.

5. He’s got a man crush on Masaharu Morimoto. “Of all the great people I’ve met in my life, he is one of the most gracious and caring. And man — he puts on a party,” he says. “If you haven’t tried his food, it’s out of bounds.”

6. He’s a fierce canner. Just before summer ends, Guy gets down and dirty bringing his garden (yes, he has a garden!) into his kitchen. Bell peppers are a particular favorite to preserve, and “they work nicely” for canning. “It costs so much to buy them roasted in the jar, especially off-season. You’ll save so much money by canning them yourself,” he says.

7. He loves Asian cooking. He’s known for his Donkey sauce at his restaurant, Guy’s American Kitchen & Bar, but Guy goes Eastern when at home. “My favorite of all Asian sauces and condiments is sambal oelek. It has a nice chile flavor, but it’s not super spicy,” he says. Another go-to: oyster sauce. “It’s like ancient barbecue sauce. It’s excellent and coats food really well.”

8. He’s a cilantro fan. Unlike Food Network host Ina Garten (who notoriously hates this “soapy” herb), Guy says it’s one of his “favorite, favorite herbs.”

9. He watches Food Network. “I love Iron Chef and I love Chopped. I watch both of them. I think it is crazy what those chefs go through,” he says.

10. He knew he wanted to be a chef since he was a kid. A staunch carnivore from the start, Guy constantly battled with his veggie-loving mom. Things came to a head when he was 10 years old. Exasperated, his mother inadvertently gave him the green light: “If you don’t like the way I cook, then you cook,” Guy remembers her saying. That same day, he rode his bike to the local grocery store, put a few steaks on the family tab and got to work. “My dad said, ‘This might be the best steak I’ve ever had in my life.’ And that was it. I knew I wanted to be a chef.”

Jesse Palmer Previews the First-Ever Food Truck Face Off

As four industry rookies take their places in the premiere series of Food Truck Face Off, host Jesse Palmer will be on hand to oversee the contest as ...

1. Vera says:

I love it that he doesn't believe in kid-friendly recipes/menus. Never heard anything like that when I was growing up, you ate whatever Mom or Dad made and if you were excepted to eat it. Even if you didn't like it you were expected to at least give it a try.

2. portia says:

Wish the author had included that Guy Fieri participated in National History Day when he was in middle school. http://www.neh.gov/about/awards/national-humaniti

3. ElizabethCarlos says:

i love guy Fieri because he is super funny

• Laura Samek says:

My friends sister and her husband met and had dinner with him in Vegas-she says he was the coolest, nicest guy you could ever meet

4. Elizabeth says:

guy you are very funny because he is nicec

5. PAAJ says:

WHY THE BLACK PEOPLE NEVER WIN OR MAKE IT TO THE NEXT ROUND

6. lecross says:

When and why did FN make this the Guy Fieri Network? Do the executives there not understand over-exposure? Really, days and days of Guy marathons…..Diners, Drive-ins and Dives keeps the cardiologists busy, the over-weight Americans happy and the rest of us bored silly. Now a game show?
    Can we please have a cooking show now and then?

• Mary says:

Well said. I just think there is too much of him. There are plenty of other shows they could air. Have got to the point where I just don't like him anymore. I also wish they would show more cooking shows .

7. Tirebiter says:

I just watched this show. In the last round Stephen collected a great bag. Luca collect a crappy bag of food. They made them switch. Then Luca wins becasue he had the better ingredients.

It would be one thing if this was just a competition but money is on the line. I'm sorry; this is just wrong on so many levels.

This poor guy gets stuck with crappy food he didn't even pick out and he loses while the other guy who had no game plan gets to cook Stephens food and he wins.

DOES ANYONE ELSE THINK THIS IS JUST WRONG? THIS IS JUST SO WRONG BECAUSE MONEY IS INVOLVED. I get it is a gamne but don't do this to people.

• shellie says:

No it's not wrong, it is part of the game, I loved it.

• Ann says:

I just saw for first time. Lady wins round twice but gets nothing for it. Then last round loses to someones food was not as good as hers in earlier round and walks away winner. Shouldnt rounds be counted and added to get a winner. Why bust your but. Just make an american dish that everyone likes and just make it through to end

8. Shellie says:

How do you apply for the show? Can anyone apply?

9. Marie Richards says:

I really like Guy Fieri but I do wish you would put Melissa D"arabian, Aarti SeQueira and Demaris Phillips in More Shows especially on Saturday mornings and even some evenings.
    These stars worked hard to have a show while some other cooks just got a show when most of the Food Network fans didn't even know them. Please reconsider giving these stars more air time.

A long viewing fan

10. bezag says:

I love Guy Fieri. I am totally addicted to triple D show. I know it is bad, but I most of the time eat my meals watching his shows. The food makes me salivate in my mouth. I am his number one fan in the world. I love the hair and he rocks!