Bars on the Rocks to Receive Last-Chance Rescue

by in Shows, October 11th, 2013

On the RocksWhile the bar and nightclub scene is supposed to conjure images of good drinks and even better times, many of those businesses across the country are just barely managing to pay the bills, hoping for a last-chance opportunity to be rescued from certain closure. That’s where John Green comes in. As a lauded bartender and the owner of a bar consulting company, John knows the ins and outs of the bar business, and on his all-new upcoming series, On the Rocks, he’ll use his extensive experience to give failing bar managements the skills — both in terms of mixology and beyond — they need to pour profits.

When On the Rocks premieres Sunday, Nov. 17 at 10pm/9c, John will assess all aspects of America’s most distraught bars and nightclubs by listening to their owners, scouring their billing statements, sampling their menus and evaluating their employees — all to find out why the businesses have been set up for struggle. It’s then up to John and his team to rethink the bar’s image and give the staff effective tools to turn around their business. The task won’t be an easy one, however, as the group will have to implement substantial changes swiftly, and the owners must come to terms with working in a transformed business.

What can viewers expect from On the Rocks? Emotional breakdowns, to be sure, plus short tempers and low patience — and that’s just from the bars’ owners and staff. But once the scuffles settle, what remains will be a reopened bar worthy of a second chance at success.

Tune in to the premiere of On the Rocks on Sunday, Nov. 17 at 10pm/9c.

Do You Know Your Knives? [INFOGRAPHIC]

...

1. Chris says:

I was just curious if any one else saw the opening to the show where they say that two bars close for every one that opens. If that's true, how can there be any bars left?

2. Brad says:

Just watched this show for the first time and he is not as good as Jon Taffer from Bar Rescue and John Green is not as professional. At the bar he is asked what would you like and he said gimmie. What is that? Coming into a place he lost respect by being rude.

3. operaman says:

What a poor imitation of Bar Rescue. Stick with the original. this knock-off is awful!

4. Tomm says:

Take a bit of Anthony Melchiorri appearance, a pinch of Jon Taffer's disposition, throw in some Chef Irvine dialect and there you have it…. Disaster. Sorry. I hope those who are fond of this new offering are seeing something I'm not.

5. Currymel says:

I have yet to see the end of this episode. Foodnetwork has THE worst player. I travel a lot so I don't get to watch a lot of actual television.
    So far, it's not awful, but it's not something I'd break my neck to see. The host at the moment doesn't seem to have "it". He's bland. I was expecting so much more from a FN personality.
    Maybe he'll get better.

6. When your ready for a co-host let me know, I have worked hand in hand with Jon Taffer for 2+ years, was the director of Nightlife and Entertainment for his convention in Vegas as well as his event On The Rocks Las Vegas. With over 20 years experience in the industry, and currently the President of the Nightclub Hall of Fame, there is nobody that would spawn a PR frenzy more then me. Reach me @Ryan_Dahlstrom

7. Locode says:

Decently entertaining, although I'd suggest that John might want to be a lot less touchy-feely with the girls.

8. It's gonna be the best reality show ever:)
    Can't wait to watch it!

9. rob911 says:

He is no bar expert and proved it with this weeks show where he teaches the bar staff to pour a glass of absinthe and soak a sugar cube with more absinthe and light it on fire. He said it is the proper way to serve it. The only place that in done is in some tourist bars in the Czech Rep. and some movies. As an expert he should do 10 minutes of research and found that he has it all wrong. Bar expert ? nope.

10. john says:

A poor knock off of bar rescue with Jon Taffer who is much more skilled at turning around poorly managed bars. I would cancel this sh*t show like yesterday! C'mon guys this is really a stretch.