Cook Pumpkin from the Patch — Fall Fest by Allison Milam in In Season, October 3rd, 2013
- No Comments
Pull on your first sweater of the season and the craving for all things pumpkin spice immediately sets in. This traditional flavor hinges on seasonality, influencing our lattes, air fresheners and baked goods as soon as the air turns crisp. Though pumpkins from the patch may lead to stoop decoration, they never seem to reach the table. We use canned store-bought pumpkin year after year and pie after pie.
The canned option is convenient, often coming with spice and without the daunting task of dismembering a whole pumpkin. Though getting down to the flesh of a pumpkin — especially that of the smaller, sweeter sugar pumpkin — is a rewarding undertaking. This fall, do more with pumpkin than carving grinning jack-o’-lanterns. Slice it into chunks, use it for its seeds or transform it into a homemade Pumpkin Puree, like Alton’s. These recipes using fresh pumpkin are a great place to start.
- Cooking diced pumpkin together with Arborio rice creates a Creamy Baked Pumpkin Risotto perfect for a comforting fall dinner.
- Simmering pumpkin till it’s sumptuous and falling apart makes for a soothing Roasted Pumpkin Soup with Chipotle Cream. Add a little OJ to the mix to keep it bright.
- Here’s a party trick: For Food Network Magazine’s Pumpkin Queso Fundido, bake the classic Mexican cheese dip inside a hollowed pumpkin for a festive fall appetizer.
- Spicy Pumpkin and Collards by Food Network Magazine bakes collard greens, breadcrumbs and chile peppers into pumpkin until soft and tender.
- Make Rachael’s Sausage, Pumpkin and Arborio Soup in a Dutch oven for slow, low fall cooking.
- For some, roasted pumpkin seeds are the very best part of fresh pumpkin. Claire Robinson’s Pumpkin Seed Dried Cherry Trail Mix bakes them with strong Grade B maple syrup.
- Baked in a hollowed pumpkin, Food Network Magazine’s Baked Pumpkin Rice Pudding (pictured above) relies on the flavors of cinnamon, vanilla and molasses.
- The classic pumpkin bread recipe may rely on the canned stuff, but Alton’s Pumpkin Bread changes it up, folding in shredded pumpkin and toasted pumpkin seeds for added crunch.
- Food Network Magazine’s Apple-Pumpkin Brown Betty makes the traditional fruity dessert with Gala apples, homemade crumbs and maple syrup with rum.
More pumpkin recipes from friends and family:
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Thai Pumpkin and Coconut Soup
Red or Green: Pizza with Red Chile Pumpkin Sauce, Black Beans and Fresh Corn
Devour: Easy Pumpkin Cream Sauce
Feed Me Phoebe: Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Soup
Virtually Homemade: Starbuck’s Pumpkin Spice Frappuccino
Weelicious: Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
The Lemon Bowl: Healthy Baked Mac and Cheese with Pumpkin
The Heritage Cook: Chile-Pumpkin Hummus
Dishing: Pumpkin Browns/ Pumpkin Hash Browns
In Jennie’s Kitchen: Pumpkin Scones
Cooking With Elise: Hearty Pumpkin Pasta
And Love It Too: Paleo Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
Blue Apron Blog: Baked Pumpkin Stuffed with Millet and Caponata
Dishin & Dishes: Pumpkin Pancakes with Maple Cinnamon Pecan Syrup
Domesticate Me: Harvest Pumpkin Soup with Candied Bacon
The Sensitive Epicure: Pumpkin Panna Cotta with Pumpkin Seed Brittle
Taste With The Eyes: Sweet and Spicy Pumpkin Apple Soup with Dried Fruit, Pine Nuts and Ancho Chile
Creative Culinary: Pumpkin Beer Bread with Pumpkin Butter Spread