From the pumpkin lattes being brewed at your local coffee shop and the crunchy pumpkin seeds being scraped out of jack-o’-lanterns to those ubiquitous cans of pumpkin puree on grocery store shelves, the classic fall flavor is seemingly everywhere right now, with so many ways to put this seasonal ingredient to good use. While pumpkin pie is a deliciously traditional way to celebrate this autumnal favorite, there are indeed other ways — both sweet and savory — to enjoy pumpkin, and for nearly all of them you can rely on that store-bought puree to save time in the kitchen. Check out Food Network’s top-five pumpkin recipes below to find inspired lunch, dinner and dessert ideas from Rachael, Anne, Robert, Sunny and more Food Network chefs.
5. Pumpkin Soup with Chili Cran-Apple Relish — Smooth and creamy, Rachael’s rich bowls are finished with a sweetened mixture of chopped apples and onions, plus chewy cranberries and a pinch of chili powder for subtle spice. Click the play button on the video after the jump below to watch Rachael make it.
4. Pork-and-Pumpkin Chili — Chipotle peppers in adobo add a smoky flavor to this big-batch chili, made with tender pork shoulder, pumpkin puree and fresh greens, then topped with cool pumpkin-laced sour cream for a refreshing bite.
3. Pumpkin-Ginger Bread Pudding — Instead of reaching for canned pumpkin puree, Anne makes the mixture from scratch using small sugar pumpkins before she features it in a sweet custard. It’s important to let the cinnamon bread absorb the custard before it’s baked so the final dish is moist and fully flavored.
2. Pumpkin Lasagna — Boasting layer upon layer of sausage-studded red wine-tomato sauce, pumpkin puree, a creamy ricotta-mozzarella mixture, fresh zucchini and noodles, Robert’s hearty lasagna is a one-dish dinner that’s deceptively simple to prepare.
1. Hazelnut Pumpkin Pie (pictured above) — Sunny updates the everyday pumpkin pie with one go-to ingredient: hazelnut creamer. She mixes it into her buttery graham cracker crust and uses it to flavor the pie’s cream cheese filling. Click the play button on the video below to watch Sunny make it.