Interview with the Latest Food Truck Team Out of the Race

by in Shows, September 15th, 2013

The Great Food Truck RaceThe next stop on Episode 5 of The Great Food Truck Race was a turning point for the four remaining food trucks. This was the chance for those who’d perpetually been in the middle or in the bottom to break out of their rut. But the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul proved to bring double the difficulty the teams had expected. Tyler promised the teams wouldn’t have a Speed Bump on day one, but he ended up springing a Truck Stop challenge on them, one that none of the teams were able to accomplish. On day two, another Truck Stop was much more attainable for all the teams but one, leading to its elimination.

Twin Truck Stops saw the teams cooking up foods to cater to local Minnesotans’ tastes, which in Minneapolis meant food on a stick and in St. Paul was cooking with the infamous Spam. The teams didn’t count on the rainy weather putting a damper on sales, but it did, and day one proved to be a bust for everyone concerned. Day two was the turning point Tyler had alluded to, and it resulted in success for just three teams, who would move on to the next city. Only $1 separated the top two teams, but more than $1,000 separated the bottom two, Philly’s Finest Sambonis and The Slide Show. In the end, The Slide Show faced challenges that were too difficult to conquer.

FN Dish caught up with the members from The Slide Show to chat about their time on the show.

The Slide ShowComing from working in restaurants, how different was it adapting to a food truck?
The work space is much tighter in a food truck, and you have limited supplies and equipment.

How surprised were you by Tyler’s Truck Stop challenge on Saturday? Did you ever think that it would turn out the way it did, with no team making the sales goal?
We weren’t surprised at all. We were expecting the unexpected as we got farther along in the race. It wasn’t surprising that no one made the sales goal because $1,500 is a massive amount of money for food on a stick.

In both Minneapolis and St. Paul, your team struggled to bring in a high volume of customers. What do you think was the biggest issue there?
The weather was a big issue. The rain definitely killed our foot traffic.

At elimination, Tyler revealed that only $1 separated two of the four remaining teams. What was going through your minds when you heard that?
We were excited! We thought that meant we still had a chance, and we could have easily earned one more dollar than the losing team. But when Tyler said that the $1 separation was between the top-two teams, we knew we were in trouble.

The Slide ShowNow that the race is over, what’s next for you all? Are you considering operating a food truck or going back to the restaurant world?
We want to own and operate a food truck along with a brick-and-mortar restaurant.

What’s the biggest thing you’ve learned from doing the competition?
Das: The competition was a lot more about strategy than cooking and making good food. It’s a strategy-based competition where food comes secondary, and that’s the crazy part!

Moe: I learned how to manage my time better and work faster.

Ahren: I gained a much greater respect for food truck operators, and this competition show further confirmed that with God I can do anything I put my mind to. Being on The Great Food Truck Race pushes you to be a better chef and person, and I am so thankful and blessed to have gotten the opportunity to be on the show.

Watch The Great Food Truck Race on Sundays at 9pm/8c, and keep coming back to FN Dish for exclusive interviews and behind-the-scenes content.

Just Desserts — Testing the Cutthroat Kitchen Sabotages

Creating tiramisu can be time-consuming, as it involves soaking lady fingers in an espresso mixture and topping them with a sweet mascarpone cheese-ba...

1. JJB says:

I'm now convinced this show is as fixed as other reality shows. Philly is still in this race, when they have had major problems week after week, and what's worse, don't seem to be learning anything from their screw-ups. Yea, let's give them a truck! After all, what they know how to do is run their mouths and brag. They can't think more than one minute ahead, they can't drive a truck without hitting something, have to rely on someone to bail them out of all their screw-ups and they rip-off people! And next week, they'll probably run someone over and come in first place!

• Hungrybill says:

I agree. These guys seem to be real live "Three Stooges"

• not important says:

they paid for there screw-ups and they are not bragging they own there mistakes. lets see you try to do this race its not as easy as you think don't be a hater you can't judge you know nothing about .
      its about the money.

2. guest says:

In previous season if you broke a rule you were out of the race. It seem like the show is giving Phily several second chances.

3. Big Pun says:

GReat Show… I really love all the challenges being thrown at the teams . It makes for more drama…
    I have a question.. Does anyone know where the trucks got their Awesome Wraps..????
    Good luck Slider Show, you guys represented for all of L.A…..

4. Kate says:

The Aloha truck is using social networking to advance. I guess their not breaking any rules, but it still stinks to me. Too bad the potato truck didn't think to call ahead to the Ancient Order of Hibernians.

• MoHub says:

Practicing smart marketing and networking is simply smart business; it's not cheating. In season 1, the Nom Nom truck hooked up with the Vietnamese community in New Orleans; that's just plain knowing how to run your business.

The Aloha guys are just being smart: finding their potential market and selling to it.

• clayton says:

Da COCONUT-WIRELESS is the best social media that's the best, find one Poly, Hawaiian and Hawaiian at heart and guaranteed $$$$$ in any citiy

• Marcie Kaye says:

well said .. I love when families stick together … maybe others should get a clue .. it's called support … someone you can depend on .. that is a very good quality to have and to give back

• lukebandit says:

When I heard that they were going to have to use SPAM, which I love! I knew Aloha Plate would win the challenge. The state that buys the most SPAM is Hawaii! And then the trophy was SPAM. That is crazy! It was meant for them. I feel bad for Soul Sliders! The other teams not TICKY TICKY TACO, the other team that shafted one of the stores out of buying the bread. I heard the guy say, hey we will get it, we will pay for it. And they didn't. That made me mad. That is theft! They are thieves and liars. Even though they paid for the bread out of their till at elimination, Tyler should of penalized them for the next challenge. BUT, in the preview trailer they are talking to DITKA, and he tells them that they STINK! HAHAHAHAHA They deserve it. I am hoping it was directed to Philly BOYS? Is that their name? GO ALOHA PLATE!!!! Loved NOM NOM truck and guys and was rooting for them! I hope they are doing well since the show! I wish I could go back and do a food truck when I was having kids!

• clayton says:

Hawaiians are just Akamai(smart) we know how to find our cuzns on the mainland, that's the ALOHA SPIRIT. That only way to live in or away from Hawaii.

5. Dolores says:

Tyler Philly's Samboni truck crew should have been eliminated for several reasons prior to 9/15 however most definately on the 15th! They did admit their mistake and promised to pay the vendor they slighted instead they paid you who had respectfully made the supplier whole. Bad form for this team that consistently displays poor behavior and sportsmanship! "SLIDERS" is a class act and should be given a second chance. Philly does not represent Philadelphia or the Food Network well at all…that team must be eliminated!

• lukebandit says:

I agree. It made me sick of one of the guys from philly truck saying after Soul Sliders got eliminated, Oooohh, nothing but LLLOOOOOVVVVEEEE for you Soul Sliders. What a JERK! They make me sick. Thieves and Liars. Hopefully in that trailer DITKA was telling them THEY STINK! They didn't even have to pay for the theft of the bread (buy not paying for it) out of their OWN pocket. People bought their food and it came out of it. God bless you SOUL SLIDERS! GOD WILL BLESS YOU ALL SOUL SLIDERS!

• nonomo says:

Are you kidding me?!! Slide show had absolutly no personality!! How they got this far is amazing in it self. Half the time they just sat in the truck and just hoped somebody would buy something, while the other teams were out hustling. I'm not the biggest fan of Philly, but atleast they're interesting.

• I was routing for the Slid Show But in the Twin City challange they were their own worst enemy. Their proformance was so lack luster, they showe no fight and were lazy. When they saw that their location was a bust they choose to stay and when they were park with Philly (which is my home city) they didnt go out and get sales. Philly's car was broke down for over an hour and they still blew them out by 1,000 bucks. The Slide Show eliminated themselves and i didnt feel sorry for them. It was almost an insult to watch them under perform. And to think was routing for them over my home team Philly because the Philly guys are real live Bevis and Butthead with a third member

Read more at: http://blog.foodnetwork.com/fn-dish/2013/09/the-s

6. Unknown says:

They didn't seem to keep their promise of paying back the guy for the breads,that they order from.When Tyler told them that.I'm surprise that Tyler,knew about them ordering bread from another person,and promising to pay.When they didn't..They were lucky enough that Slide Show "Slide" out of the race.I would've loved it if Slide Show continue on.But it was based on money that they made during this episode.Next episode who goes home that's gonna be one big huge question mark.

7. Moonfyre says:

good luck to all the teams! way to keep it exciting!! (but personally I'm rooting for the Aloha Plate truck – you guys are indeed cooking with aloha!! way to share Hawaii spirit & food on the mainland, brahs!) and many kudos to the Slide Show truck! Sorry to see you go. You represented L.A. with fine cooking & strength & grace under pressure! We hope you open a new restaurant in L.A. so we can all enjoy what you offer. Tikka guys – you hang in there… you got taste & you got style. (sorry Samboni's… you are racking up some bad karma with your constant bickering and carelessness – can't believe you're still in the running! Yikes!)

8. Cookster says:

Can someone answer my question about the fan vote. My friends and I have our favorite truck and vote on a
    regular basis, yet the percent never changes. What gives? I will also scream if I have to hear about what a great Polynesian community is in the next city. Makes me wonder if Aloha knows something no one else does.

• clayton says:

It's called, DA COCONUT-WIRELESS CONNECTION. Find one Poly, Hawaiian or ex Kama'aina where you are bound for and we will show the, Aloha Spirit. Also, they are frugal with their $$ and how to make$$.

9. clayton says:

Da bruddahs from Hawai'i and the Aloha Plate know how to get in touch with da cuzn's in the mainland. Just find one Poly, Hawaiian or ex resident of the Aina via the COCONUT-WIRELESS and they will be there. As Aloha Plate found out in Minneapolis/St. Paul we showed them the, ALOHA SPIRIT that lives in all of us ex Kama'ainas and Hawaiians at heart……..Malama Pono O' Hawai'i Nei..Aloha Plate No Ka OI.

10. JJJ says:

So disheartened Aloha Plate didn't win any challenges in Chicago….they deserve the win, but I think the show has fixed it for Tikka Taco. I hope the talented Aloha Plate chefs do not give up on their dream!!!! Go Aloha Plate, whether you won on the show or not, you guys have a promising future in the restaurant business!!!!