Succumbing to Self-Defeat — Alton’s After-Show

by in Shows, September 1st, 2013

When chefs enter Cutthroat Kitchen, they’re likely expecting a bit — or a lot — of sabotage to be dealt upon them by their rivals. After all, it’s this play-or-be-played mentality that makes the competition as fiercely cutthroat at is it. But what they may not expect is that some of their most prominent challenges will likely come not from their dwindling cash supply, another contestant or unexpected ingredient swaps, but rather from themselves and their ideas about how to succeed in Cutthroat Kitchen.

On this week’s After-Show, judge Simon Majumdar and host Alton Brown noticed that in almost every round of cooking, chefs faced significant obstacles — some so damaging that they led to eliminations — on account of their own shortcomings. “He wasn’t sabotaged there,” Alton told Simon of Chef Scipione’s absence of bread in his Round 1 cheese steak sandwich. “He just didn’t make it out of the pantry with any bread.” This oversight ultimately cost Chef Scipione his place in the competition, as Simon noted that the chef’s finished dish “wasn’t a Philly cheese steak in any form that I would recognize.”

For another competitor, the problem proved to be not mere forgetfulness but an inability to work well under pressure. “I think he got stuck,” Simon said of Chef Zadi in Round 3, in which he was forced to make a pizza using a pie. “I think he just didn’t know where to go to make a really good pizza.” While it’s no surprise that competitors are left with few ideas of how to proceed when faced with last-minute ingredient changes and diminishing time on the clock, Alton explained: “Sometimes the cooking wins and sometimes the game play wins. And today, the game play won.” In the end, he warns, “Confidence can kill, but then not having enough will kill too.”

Click the play button on the video above to hear more from Alton and Simon, then chat about the show with fellow fans in the comments below. What did you think of how the chefs handled this week’s challenges? Were the competitors a greater threat to themselves than the sabotages?

Tune in to a new episode of Cutthroat Kitchen next Sunday, Sept. 8 at 10pm/9c.

What to Watch: Chickening Around on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, and Spring Is in the Air on The Kitchen

Start the weekend with a special episode of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives on Friday night. It’s all about chicken as Guy recounts all the best pla...

1. jimtotter says:

Alton summed it up correctly…sometimes the best player wins, not the best chef. Two eps in a row this has happened.

2. Laura Moss says:

I can't view the video. I click on the play button and it starts to play but all I see is a white screen with no picture. Does anyone else have this problem?

3. Jen says:

Stupid concept for a show.

4. tammy says:

I think its hilarious, it looks like you could either win based on how much money you spend or loose. Its up in the air either way.

5. lhkr says:

He forgot to mention the microwave that chef… Tanya? had to use in the cupcake round, with her veggies.

6. Shellz says:

I am not thrilled with the concept of the show. The determination of who wins does not seem to directly tie into true cooking ability. Since this is the Food Network, I am disappointed. I would rather see a show where cooking ability, rather than "game play" wins. Otherwise, I would watch another random game show. If points were given on improvisation, Cher Scipione would win hands down …

7. sherrydwof says:

I like the show. However, I think the money each cast of member has left should go to the final winner. Why only let them win a small amount. I think Food Network is being very cheap in this situation.

8. Allan Ehritz says:

The dumpest most contrived show. The "Wipe Out" of food network.

9. Concerned Chef says:

I think they are running out of ideas and judging by the sabotage request from the producers it is quite clear to me Cutthroat Kitchen is in deep trouble. Entire time I was watching this show I thought where is the 'cooking' If the show is all about sabotage and not about competing under extreme condition like the name suggests then why is it on Food Network. Furthermore why do they even bother judging the food when it is painfully clear that no culinary skill determines the outcome of the dish. Food Network should hire some good actors and script the show then I can poke fun at it rather then feeling like I wasted my time watching this mean spirited garbage. I used to think the whiny creepy guy on Sweet Genius was painful to watch, nevertheless Chef Ron guides his contestants to create something wonderful utilizing his surprise ingredients. Trying to rationalize the madness behind surprise auctions well in to cooking time which by the way only spells out doom for the recipient is utterly immoral and completely shatters the spirit of competition. It's sort of like running a 100 meter dash and at the last second the Olympic committee member trips you and says give me back the cash.

• Justin says:

Nonsense. This show is fun and culinary ability absolutely plays a role in the final outcome. Some viewers are simply bothered to see chefs competing under obvious pressure. So be it. This show isn't for everyone. Go watch Rachel Ray. Me, I'll watch Cutthroat Kitchen!

10. john doe says:

cook scipione has to be the stupidest person in the world a philly cheese steak no BREAD!!! DAAAA! what a idiot.