Best 5 Family-Friendly Tailgate Recipes by Maria Russo in Recipes, September 19th, 2013
- Comments (2)
Football season is in full swing, and with that comes weekends spent huddled around the television watching your favorite teams face off at the 50-yard line. No matter who you’re rooting for on the field, it’s important to have a spread of touchdown-worthy eats on the sidelines of your living room to celebrate game day. While most tailgates feature a buffet of beer, spicy wings and fried jalapeno peppers — three decidedly un-kid-friendly items — it’s indeed possible to pull off a family-oriented menu. When cooking for fans of all ages, stick to tried-and-true favorites plus finger food classics, and if you’re concerned about the heat levels in any dish, simply adjust the spice to taste. Check out Food Network’s top-five family-friendly tailgate recipes below to find a mix of sweet and savory picks that are sure to win cheers from your guests.
5. PB&J Chocolate Bars — Take the classic combination of peanut butter and jelly to the next indulgent level by making layered dessert squares, featuring a buttery peanut-cocoa base, a filling of grape jelly and sweetened peanut butter, and a chocolate glaze topping.
4. Meatballs a la Pizzaiola — Giada bakes a surprise inside each one-bite meatball: a cube of creamy mozzarella cheese that becomes soft and deliciously gooey when bitten into.
3. Buffalo Wings — Tossed in a simple mixture of butter and hot sauce, Alton’s tender, juicy wings are first steamed to rid them of excess moisture, then roasted to ensure a crispy skin.
2. Hoagie Dip — Traditional submarine sandwich ingredients like deli meats and cheeses, onions, lettuce and dressing come together in a hollowed out bread bowl to create the ultimate appetizer dip.
1. Chicken Chili — Roasted chicken and colorful bell peppers are the star ingredients in Ina’s comforting five-star chili, best finished with your family’s choice of toppings, like sour cream, onions, corn chips or cheddar cheese. Click the play button on the video below to watch Ina make it.