A Win for Sale — Alton’s After-Show

by in Shows, August 25th, 2013

On last week’s After-Show, judge Simon Majumdar said: “Being a great chef is one thing. Being a strategic chef is another. If you can combine those, you can actually end up winning Cutthroat Kitchen without being technically the best chef.” And tonight Alton may have proved that theory to be true when he told Simon the lengths to which one competitor went to claim the win.

The name of the game in Cutthroat Kitchen is indeed sabotage, but with that comes personal advantages for the competitor dealing those devastating blows to his or her rivals. With every big-ticket disruption one chef purchases and assigns to another contestant, he’s essentially buying himself safety from that challenge. Alton told Simon that, in this week’s final auction, one chef — who would ultimately go on to win the battle — spent almost all of his or her money ensuring his or her own smooth finish by assigning someone else the challenge of making crab cakes without a binder, like mayonnaise. This person “bought victory,” Simon said of the outcome, chalking up this reality to the fact that “anything is possible in Cutthroat Kitchen.”

Click the play button on the video above to hear more from Simon and Alton, and find out who ended up winning this week with a look back at the final round’s sabotages. If you were competing in Cutthroat Kitchen, would you sacrifice a potential win just to save money, or would you risk your balance to survive elimination? Chat about it with fellow fans in the comments below.

Flavortown Market Is Back and It’s Bigger Than Ever — Guy Dishes on Season 2

Guy’s bringing Flavortown Market back in an all-new season of Guy’s Grocery Games, premiering May 11 at 8|7c. Fans of the show will be exc...

1. Marsha says:

I agree with all of the ones who don't like this show. Hopefully, AB can find something more worthy in the future.

2. Anna B says:

I am so sick of all the negative comments! UGH! just don't watch the show if you hate it. But don't ruin it for the rest of us……

3. Lisa says:

I wish they showed Alton telling the judges ALL the sabotages. Would've been interesting to see Simon's reaction to the second chef eliminated (who seemed to be the best chef) after having to cook on a campstove, have no whisk, and have to squeeze orange juice. And explain the weird bologna taco from the first round.

• MoHub says:

Agree. I was disappointed that we weren't shown Alton's explanation of the second round, as I think Sevan did an incredible job considering every possible handicap was thrown his way.

4. BAHA says:

I was generally disappointed in the show but extremely pleased the selfish one got the loss!

5. Steve says:

These Chefs are all competive and this is great stuff. I love seeing them work out of their comfort zone. Brings Chopped to a new level. I've seen chefs not say they have an ingredient that another one is looking for. They will do anything to win.
    Can't wait to see the Food Network chefs in this format

6. Shugooo says:

The point of the show is pointless. The participants are a mixture of real chefs versus home/ restaurant cooks. Of course you work on the real chefs to get them out of your way and what's left? Real chefs do not feel threatened but what can you do with no whisk, cooking on a camp stove and trying to poach eggs and make hollandaise sauce. There is nothing that can be different from week to week. The real chefs get kicked out because they have no tools or food and their food is being judged by an internationally known chef. ( Of course leftover Suishi wont be made a winner by a chef judge that has an intense palate). The big winner is always little Susie Homemaker because she was seen as no threat. To me putting shame to REAL chefs is not entertaining but POINTLESS.

7. Irene says:

Cutthroat is kinda like Chopped, except with one judge, a bad attitude, and Math. The taste factor (not talking about the mouth variety) is lacking. It's almost as bad as the Chairman's whoosh. No. Worse.

• SpearM64 says:

I have to admit that I agree with you about the Chairman's whoosh. Come on, I know that Mark Dacascos (aka, the Chairman) is a martial artist (Wun Hop Kuen Do, in case you were wondering, mixed with a little Muay Thai, Capoeira, and Wushu), but do we REALLY need a "whoosh" every single time he turns his head, to remind us of that? No, we don't!

8. Jane says:

I realy like Alton Brown. I think he is great on Iron Chef and I really liked "Good Eats." However, there seems to be absolutely no point to "Cutthroat." I have watched it twice and will not watch it again. This show is neither about cooking or about eating well. It is about a horrid version of oneupsmanship. By the way, I hope Simon Majundar gets the message and quits as a judge. After all, what is there really to even judge??

9. Kim says:

Does anyone else have trouble hearing the after show clip? The volume seems so low, and I don't seem to have that trouble with other sites. This is some of the best stuff connected with the show, and I can barely hear it.

• SpearM64 says:

I agree, at least with this particular aftershow… I had no problems hearing Simon, but all of Alton's comments were hard to hear without constantly turning the volume up to hear Alton, and then turning it down so I didn't get blasted out of my seat when Simon spoke.

10. Cookin Dad says:

This show has potential. The process needs to be fleshed out and understood by the contestants. Give it a chance and Alton will make it a hit!