A Win for Sale — Alton’s After-Show

by in Shows, August 25th, 2013

On last week’s After-Show, judge Simon Majumdar said: “Being a great chef is one thing. Being a strategic chef is another. If you can combine those, you can actually end up winning Cutthroat Kitchen without being technically the best chef.” And tonight Alton may have proved that theory to be true when he told Simon the lengths to which one competitor went to claim the win.

The name of the game in Cutthroat Kitchen is indeed sabotage, but with that comes personal advantages for the competitor dealing those devastating blows to his or her rivals. With every big-ticket disruption one chef purchases and assigns to another contestant, he’s essentially buying himself safety from that challenge. Alton told Simon that, in this week’s final auction, one chef — who would ultimately go on to win the battle — spent almost all of his or her money ensuring his or her own smooth finish by assigning someone else the challenge of making crab cakes without a binder, like mayonnaise. This person “bought victory,” Simon said of the outcome, chalking up this reality to the fact that “anything is possible in Cutthroat Kitchen.”

Click the play button on the video above to hear more from Simon and Alton, and find out who ended up winning this week with a look back at the final round’s sabotages. If you were competing in Cutthroat Kitchen, would you sacrifice a potential win just to save money, or would you risk your balance to survive elimination? Chat about it with fellow fans in the comments below.

Restaurants Revisited: The Gross, Grosser and Grossest

From creepy crawling insects in the kitchen to appliances overrun with mold and caked in grease, Robert Irvine has seen all manner of filth in eaterie...

1. im220 says:

I can't get the video to play on this site only commercials any one have suggestions? Im really interested in the after show stuff.

2. @WantAhugg says:

I use to like the show but I see the judges really don't know what they are talking about an alton was an A!shole towards the black guy from the start of the show the judge chose an bologna taco over an unseasoned real taco BOLOGNA get real .! I guess thats altons way of showing his support for Paula Dean maybe not but he showed his colors and its an ugly color #Cut Throat

3. Pip says:

Chef Marr didn't make anything correctly from tacos to eggs to crab cakes. Can't believe she made it so far.

4. Kathy says:

I generally like shows with Alton Brown but this is the most disgusting show on Food Network. I love to watch other shows but this is ridiculous. There is really nothing to learn from the cooking and it's a terrible of example of how to win. Cheryl above said it well as people need to "win" with honor and skill and not by sabotaging the competition. I couldn't even watch the show to the end nor will I every watch it again.

• Nancy S. says:

I totally agree with you. This show is totally disgusting. Chef Zati was definitely a better chef, he made a much better tasting topping, but because the judge said it didn't "look" like a pizza, he was eliminated. It was totally unfair. The food should be judged on the taste and favors, and not what it's "supposed" to look like. The same thing happened last week and just made me angry at the concept. I also will never watch this thing again. The method of judging is also unfair. What in the world was the Food Network thinking???

5. Concerned Chef says:

I think they are running out of ideas and judging by the sabotage request from the producers it is quite clear to me Cutthroat Kitchen is in deep trouble. Entire time I was watching this show I thought where is the 'cooking' If the show is all about sabotage and not about competing under extreme condition like the name suggests then why is it on Food Network. Furthermore why do they even bother judging the food when it is painfully clear that no culinary skill determines the outcome of the dish. Food Network should hire some good actors and script the show then I can poke fun at it rather then feeling like I wasted my time watching this mean spirited garbage. I used to think the whiny creepy guy on Sweet Genius was painful to watch, nevertheless Chef Ron guides his contestants to create something wonderful utilizing his surprise ingredients. Trying to rationalize the madness behind surprise auctions well in to cooking time which by the way only spells out doom for the recipient is utterly immoral and completely shatters the spirit of competition. It's sort of like running a 100 meter dash and at the last second the Olympic committee member trips you and says give me back the cash.

6. jolie says:

DJ Chef rocks!! I've seen him at the world food championships in vegas. I remember him staying he was a sous chef for bobby flay years ago on stage. He is a really good chef so that story about buying a win is bs. why wouldn't you use the money to "not get sabotaged"!? Cooking with out your utensils or having to cook everything on a camp stove clearly gives you a disadvantage lol I was on his website pretty impressive credentials! http://www.djchef.com