Strategy Reigns Supreme — Alton’s After-Show

by in Shows, August 18th, 2013

To succeed in the Cutthroat Kitchen, it’s not enough for a chef to come equipped with his lucky knife kit and years of experience at the stove. After all, a fellow competitor may prevent his use of that cutlery and make him question the extent of his skills, all with the help of $25,000 in spending money and the will to disrupt. Chefs must take assigned curve balls in stride and turn out quality dishes for a judge, who, without knowledge of the earlier mind games, will decide based on taste alone whose plate is the weakest. On Alton’s After-Show, host Alton Brown will reveal to the judge what’s gone down, and together they’ll dish on how the events unfolded and the food ultimately came to light.

In the series premiere, judge Simon Majumdar joined Alton in the Cutthroat Kitchen, and even after learning of some chefs’ use of inferior pork products in Round 1, revealed, “They all produced dishes that were kind of passable with one or two errors, rather than bad dishes with one or two good things about them.” Even though Chef Gianchetti had the most sought-after meat — thick-cut bone-in chops — in that round, his pork was severely overcooked, so much so that Simon admitted that “is actually worse than getting a poor ingredient and making it tasty.”

In what may prove true in each episode throughout the series, Simon explained: “Being a great chef is one thing. Being a strategic chef is another. If you can combine those, you can actually end up winning Cutthroat Kitchen without being technically the best chef.” It’s that kind of thinking that would lead chefs to risk wisely and cook intelligently in order to best their rivals and ultimately take home cash.

Click the play button on the video above to hear more from Simon and Alton, and learn what Simon would have done had he been cooking in Cutthroat Kitchen. How do you think the competitors responded to their challenges? Chat with fellow fans about it in the comments below.

Check back after each episode of Cutthroat Kitchen on Sunday night to find a new installment of Alton’s After-Show.

Top 10 Recommended Eats from the East: On the Road with America’s Best Cook

On America’s Best Cook, Sunday at 9|8c, home cooks battle it out for the chance to win the title of America’s best cook, all while represe...

1. Debbie says:

Your show's a HIT AB! You use just the right amount of sinister-ness, and have a lot of fun mind games for these poor victim chefs. Do you dream up the dishes they have to prepare? So far, so good; keep up the great work! I'm a fan :)

2. Beth says:

I just want you to know that I think it's a disgrace how you have treated Paula Deen. You are always saying this is about family. She WAS your family. What she did 30 years ago makes no difference today. What YOU did 30 years ago makes no difference. None of you can say that you haven't done or said something you aren't proud of. She was honest. For that she is #1 in my book. She could have answered so much differently, but being the person she is , she gave a honest answer. I get tired of watching Giada with her fake smile, and the barefoot contessa who wouldn't even go visit a little boy dying from cancer. Yet…she's still there. So what's the criteria? I'm disgusted. I'm not the only viewer that feels the same .. I want to see Paula Deen back!! She makes the meals we all can make…Plus gives us the viewers the fun and family time we like to see!! Bring her back!!!

• Mark says:

Why does Paula mean so much to you? Do you like what she represents? Do you feel the same way? If you call people of color names is that OK? Mrs. Paula makes money off of all of us. If I feel that I am second class to her why should I feel good about her? Why should I care?

• Mark says:

By the way this was not 30 years ago! It is recent, and I don't hate her!!!!

3. Viewer says:

Dislike this show. Want to see consummate cooking, not vindictiveness.

4. skipling says:

I'm sorry they have to turn every show into a contest. What's next? Skeet shooting with pork? Candyland with real candy? Monopoly with frozen peaches?

5. Mark says:

Mr. Brown I have always respected your opinions on chef's, but I don't like Mr Simon's, He seems to have a more personnel aspect to his judging. A predjudice that I see, it is very subtle, you wont see it first round you only see it second round. Look back years.

6. Mark says:

She deserved to to win because he is an idiot! Pay for the fryer you dolt!

7. nuts2behere says:

I would like to see the winner get what the others had left as well…could cause some crazy bidding instead of hoarding the money.

8. Kelly says:

I wish that the after hours show had more volume. I have turned the volume all the way up on my computer and on the player and I *still* had to plug in external speakers and then turn THEM all the way up before I could even hear the commentary!

Also, I really enjoy the show. I agree with Simon that being a good chef and being a strategic player of the game are not necessarily one in the same. This is not the only competition where strategy often ends up being the deciding factor, it's just the most obvious. Every other competition has elements of strategy that have to be accounted for – unusual ingredients, time limits, twists, etc – and it is usually the chef(s) that handle that strategy element the best that win out in the end.

If you don't enjoy the show, you do not have to watch it, plain and simple. There is a LOT of shows on foodnetwork that focus exclusively on the food and cooking. I like that they are continuing to also give those of us who would prefer a competitive edge in our shows something to watch.

9. Guest says:

So went to play the video – commercial plays but then the video is missing or not found.

10. Pattyhmk says:

I am glad that chef Pink didnt win
    She was awful, what restaurant does she work At? I never want to eat anything she ever cooks!