No-Mercy Culinary Antics to Take Over Alton Brown’s Cutthroat Kitchen

by in Shows, July 9th, 2013

They are the cooking show competitor’s top-two wishes: to be able to mess with rivals enough to sabotage their game and to gain an advantage to improve their own chances of winning. On Alton Brown’s brand-new upcoming series, contestants will have the opportunity to enjoy both experiences.

Premiering Sunday, August 11 at 10pm/9c, Cutthroat Kitchen pits four culinary superstars against each other, and to be victorious in this three-round contest, they’ll need to put savvy mind games to work as much as they do cooking chops. Each will have access to $25,000 in cash, and it’s up to them to decide how to spend their money in an auction: Do they pay out to earn the exclusive use of a crucial ingredient, like salt, or do they sentence their opponents to a brutal round of cooking, one in which they’re prohibited from tasting their dishes? In the ultimate balance of risk and reward, the competitors must determine on which benefits it’s worth spending their funds and which curveballs may eventually prove damaging enough to others to ultimately pay off, as the winner’s prize is whatever money he or she has left over afterward.

Immediately after each of the 13 upcoming episodes, viewers can visit FoodNetwork.com/CK to watch exclusive videos of Alton, a mentor on Food Network Star, and the judges dishing on competitors’ disappointing flops and shocking successes.

Don’t miss the premiere of Cutthroat Kitchen on Sunday, August 11 at 10pm/9c, immediately following the finale of Food Network Star.

Get a Sneak Peek at Rewrapped with Host Joey Fatone

The all-new series Rewrapped starring your favorite sweet and savory snacks premieres on Monday night (8|7c), where host Joey Fatone will be leading...

1. Grace A Hahl says:

This is a very strange show…..

2. kathy says:

I love AB…always have…but I REALLY miss the days of shows like Good Eats and Emeril Live. Remember when the chefs on FN actually cooked and showed us how to be better cooks?
    Another nasty competition show to bring out the ugliest in human behavior. Yippee.
    I hope they leave the Cooking Channel alone. The only thing that could make that channel better would be to add someone like Rick Bayless into the line-up.

FN is following in the footsteps of MTV.

3. Bonita says:

I have watched Food Network Channel for many years, with Alton Brown as one of my favorite personalities. However, now I find myself watching more PBS Create shows or Cooking Channel shows that actually showcase cooking not competition. I am not a fan of most competition shows as they tend to bring out the worst in most people. Please return to previous cooking formats were skills were taught by interesting and entertaining chefs and cooks.

4. LydiaP says:

Alton, when will you tell the public that it is not a needler? What is the real name of the kitchen tool that you were descibing? Were you paying attention in culinary school or just there to get a diploma?

5. Murray says:

I agree with all the posts about "sick of competition". I watch PBS and Create just to watch cooking shows that I used to get on FN. All of the drama infused into the current rash of shows totally makes me sick. BTW, wouldn't it be good to review the current food stars and jerk them back to reality? They couldn't do as well many of the competitors. It's like they're getting a pass on having just been around a long time. Honestly, I watched some old AB and Giada shows recently and have to say they weren't much to talk about. Creative? Not so much.

6. G Sommerfeld says:

I do enjoy the competition shows, but do not always agree with the results. Wish I could taste the food sometimes to see what swayed the judges. I think Chris on Food Network Star was eliminated unfairly, as it is not him that owns the apple orchard. I appreciate the fact that he did not use those type of phrases to present his product. I also feel that his idea on salvation was better than Lovely's. I too would like to see more cooking shows, but less of the shows where they travel to get ideas. I'd be happy to see a cooking show, where they include substitutions that one could use in a dish.

7. cheri says:

Do not like the competition cooking shows….brings out the worst and it is a negative concept.
    What happened to the happy and helpful REAL cooking shows from the years past??

8. dawnandperry says:

FN, I have to say that you're quickly moving from one of my favorite networks to another run of the mill cable channel that I have no desire to watch. I remember when I first discovered your channel, I was delighted to learn about fabulous food – where to get it, and even (gasp!) how to make it. I began to leave it on constantly in the background as relaxation with the hopes of picking up a snippet of info even if I wasn't actively watching.

However, it seems you've let all those educational shows go by the wayside in favor of unrealistic "reality" shows that bring out the worst in people. I certainly don't want to spend my precious time on shows that glorify poor, anti-social behavior, as this concept does. And then we wonder why our kids end up as bullies??

Alton, you were one of my culinary heroes – one of the reasons I even began cooking. You've been a terrific teacher to millions. Please reconsider what this concept will be teaching to people now, and whether you really want your personal brand associated with it.

9. Barb says:

Well it seems I'm not the only one who is not looking forward to yet another competition. And this one has being cutthroat as one of its selling points, how disappointing. FN is quickly becoming nothing more than a reality tv channel. Please FN, create some shows in which people actually cook.

• Elderleigh says:

I couldn't agree more. I find it really disheartening that Alton would be part of this kind of show that promotes, nastiness, bullying and bringing back people NO ONE wants to see on the television.

It does make me wonder though, have we not known or seen the real Alton Brown over some of the other shows? In a few years past on The Next Food Network Star – he got a bit snarky with some of his comments….maybe this is more the real AB. If it is, No Thank You. Bad choice Alton and Food Network.

10. Jon says:

So much resentment, I also feel Paula Deen should have have been dismiss considering how old she is and where she live. Of course, she would have use that type of language. As for the show, I would watch it in a heartbeat, since I love Chopped, Top Chef, and Iron Chef. But please, no more Cupcake War.