No-Mercy Culinary Antics to Take Over Alton Brown’s Cutthroat Kitchen

by in Shows, July 9th, 2013

They are the cooking show competitor’s top-two wishes: to be able to mess with rivals enough to sabotage their game and to gain an advantage to improve their own chances of winning. On Alton Brown’s brand-new upcoming series, contestants will have the opportunity to enjoy both experiences.

Premiering Sunday, August 11 at 10pm/9c, Cutthroat Kitchen pits four culinary superstars against each other, and to be victorious in this three-round contest, they’ll need to put savvy mind games to work as much as they do cooking chops. Each will have access to $25,000 in cash, and it’s up to them to decide how to spend their money in an auction: Do they pay out to earn the exclusive use of a crucial ingredient, like salt, or do they sentence their opponents to a brutal round of cooking, one in which they’re prohibited from tasting their dishes? In the ultimate balance of risk and reward, the competitors must determine on which benefits it’s worth spending their funds and which curveballs may eventually prove damaging enough to others to ultimately pay off, as the winner’s prize is whatever money he or she has left over afterward.

Immediately after each of the 13 upcoming episodes, viewers can visit FoodNetwork.com/CK to watch exclusive videos of Alton, a mentor on Food Network Star, and the judges dishing on competitors’ disappointing flops and shocking successes.

Don’t miss the premiere of Cutthroat Kitchen on Sunday, August 11 at 10pm/9c, immediately following the finale of Food Network Star.

Restaurant Revisited: Culture Clash at Marie’s at Ummat Cafe

“This is tasteless,” Robert Irvine said of the tableful of dishes he sampled at Marie’s at Ummat Cafe in Atlanta. It turns out that ...

1. BRENDA SOWERS says:

I am Itotally disappointed in FOODNETWORK on your handling of Paula Deen. People need to be honest on having ever used racial language in their life time. To me it seems that the network used this incident to get rid of Paula Deen. I'm not interested in watching your shows. I have been a faithful viewer for years. I'm 66 years old and it was joyful to watch all the different shows and now I have a very bad taste in my mouth,

• dawnandperry says:

Brenda, I share your disappointment in FN lately, but please note that this article is NOT about Paula Deen. Further, I agree that honesty is important, but I think the reason that FN – and several other sponsors dropped her is not necessarily because she admitted doing something despicable in the past, but because of what she is accused of doing to her employees in the here and now: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/23/paula-de….

• Elderleigh says:

I also saw this latest admission by Deen as part of a pattern of bad choices.
        Reasonable people do not condemn someone on the admission of one transgression – especially one made years earlier. But, when a pattern of bad behavior happens then people reevaluate and I think this happened here.

• Chunky Monkey says:

I agree that the treatment of Paula Dean was despicable. As an African American, I was disappointed with Food Network for firing her. In my opinion, she deserves her show back. I miss it and I'm sure others do too!

2. Billie says:

Alton, love you on Iron Chef but you have become a bit of a bu– on Next Network Star. Save it for Cutthroat Kitchen. During regular Star competition go back to being the funny, quirky, loveable Alton you were. We have Bobbie to act board so stop rolling your eyes and slapping your head when competitors are doing their best.
    As for Paula Deen, if you're gonna condem her for her brother's behavior and her comments 30 years ago, you may want to take a look at some of your other chefs inuendos…on camera.

3. hester says:

doesn't he host enough cooking shows now? I loved watching him before he lost all that weight and became cynical toward the cheftestants. Good eats was his best show ever. I think I've had my fill of him lately and booby flake. Seems like they both now own the network along with DDD.

4. David Zybert says:

Is there any way you could change your mind about airing this? I'm tired of "set up for failure" reality television. Please bring real cooking back to the Food Network.

5. Nancy says:

So SICK of competition shows. I am SICK of reality TV on Food Network. My cable company does NOT get the Cooking Channel where they actually cook. You have all these wonderful chefs, like Tyler Florence, and you have them doing JUNK like FOOD TRUCK competitions, or win a FOOD COURT franchise. JUNK, JUNK, AND MORE JUNK.

6. Margaret says:

I'd like to see more cooking shows in prime time, as well. And how many Diners Drive-Ins and Dives have they filmed?? They go on forever! I wish they'd take one hour in the evening to rotate some of the past winners of Food Network Stars on a cooking show.

Lately my fave show is Martha Stewart's cooking class on PBS. She teaches basic technique along with some innovations. Great reference material.

7. Dorean Beattie says:

I'm looking forward to this show. Love Alton, and really enjoy competition shows. If, however, this one ends up being a parade of ugly attitudes, I'll be disappointed.

• dawnandperry says:

I love Alton, too, but I can't see how it can't be. The entire concept seems to be built around sabotaging someone else's work. :(

8. Marie Whitaker says:

I have to agree with alot of the about views. The FN has done just like every other channel to too many competition shows. Lets cook like you did when I first started watching. My late Mother-in-law and I would talk about the shows we were watching and what food we were going to try to coook. Now its who can swear, bully, or loose the best.

9. Carla Hearold says:

Robert irvine lied about his culinary experience. His show is still on. Paula told the truth. I am tuning out!!!!

• God says:

actualy robert irvine didn't lie, they kicked him out tell it was proven that he didn't lie

• msjs0315 says:

Actually he did.

He admitted misleading people about his role in creating a Royal wedding cake. He also admitted lying about being a knight and having a Scottish castle. http://www.showbizspy.com/article/59640

Carla, we don't yet know whether Deen has told the entire truth regarding the accusations of gender and racial bias at her restaurants. That will be for the court to determine.

But back to AB's new show. It could be cute to watch an episode or two, given AB's quirky sense of humor it might be fun. That said, looks to be a game of strategy rather than a demonstration of cooking skills and creativity. It feels a bit like a kitchen version of Dungeons & Dragons with AB as the Dungeon Master.

10. Rene von Gee says:

I, too, am very disappointed with your network on your abrupt dismissal of Paula Deen! Reminds me of how they also railroaded Martha Stewart a few years ago. As if all of you have never verbalized anything but purity! Maybe honesty isn't always the best policy?????

Your network has really changed over the years; I used to be an every day follower but now? No Thanks!

• Sarah says:

Martha Stewart wasn't railroaded. She was guilty. Paula Deen, however, was treated unfairly. (I don't even like her, but I still think she got screwed.)

• @JZ561 says:

Paula Deen had a BLACK WOMAN managing Uncle Bubba's, the same woman who started all this sh*t .. Paula didn't stereotype these people, the manager did! (read: ungrateful)