No-Mercy Culinary Antics to Take Over Alton Brown’s Cutthroat Kitchen

by in Shows, July 9th, 2013

They are the cooking show competitor’s top-two wishes: to be able to mess with rivals enough to sabotage their game and to gain an advantage to improve their own chances of winning. On Alton Brown’s brand-new upcoming series, contestants will have the opportunity to enjoy both experiences.

Premiering Sunday, August 11 at 10pm/9c, Cutthroat Kitchen pits four culinary superstars against each other, and to be victorious in this three-round contest, they’ll need to put savvy mind games to work as much as they do cooking chops. Each will have access to $25,000 in cash, and it’s up to them to decide how to spend their money in an auction: Do they pay out to earn the exclusive use of a crucial ingredient, like salt, or do they sentence their opponents to a brutal round of cooking, one in which they’re prohibited from tasting their dishes? In the ultimate balance of risk and reward, the competitors must determine on which benefits it’s worth spending their funds and which curveballs may eventually prove damaging enough to others to ultimately pay off, as the winner’s prize is whatever money he or she has left over afterward.

Immediately after each of the 13 upcoming episodes, viewers can visit FoodNetwork.com/CK to watch exclusive videos of Alton, a mentor on Food Network Star, and the judges dishing on competitors’ disappointing flops and shocking successes.

Don’t miss the premiere of Cutthroat Kitchen on Sunday, August 11 at 10pm/9c, immediately following the finale of Food Network Star.

“You Have to Be Able to Play the Game” — Alton’s After-Show

To survive — and thrive — on Cutthroat Kitchen, it’s not enough to be able to work quickly under pressure or to deliver a well-seasoned plat...

1. Concerned Chef says:

I think they are running out of ideas and judging by the sabotage request from the producers it is quite clear to me Cutthroat Kitchen is in deep trouble. Entire time I was watching this show I thought where is the 'cooking' If the show is all about sabotage and not about competing under extreme condition like the name suggests then why is it on Food Network. Furthermore why do they even bother judging the food when it is painfully clear that no culinary skill determines the outcome of the dish. Food Network should hire some good actors and script the show then I can poke fun at it rather then feeling like I wasted my time watching this mean spirited garbage. I used to think the whiny creepy guy on Sweet Genius was painful to watch, nevertheless Chef Ron guides his contestants to create something wonderful utilizing his surprise ingredients. Trying to rationalize the madness behind surprise auctions well in to cooking time which by the way only spells out doom for the recipient is utterly immoral and completely shatters the spirit of competition. It's sort of like running a 100 meter dash and at the last second the Olympic committee member trips you and says give me back the cash.

2. pau207 says:

Yes, certainly they are running out of ideas or they love so much Mr. Alton Brown….
    Waiting to see the fresh food network stars, where are they???? , in their own cooking shows.
    What happened to the nice charismatic Kid who won last year?
    Losing my interest in following the channel….
    Perhaps you need to find through a competition challenge the next food network creative director star.
    The only program that i like so far is "Chopped".

3. barbara says:

Hey.. I have a GREAAAAAAAAAAT Idea for this Show.. Why not let the chef's PAY to actually CUT THE THROAT of another chef LIVE ON CAMERA..( what real chef would do this ?) then call it" Gladiator Kitchen for Moron's on the AMERiKA.. Frick YEAH.

Sucks.. Hate it..

Am i being too subtle..

4. guest says:

Tuned in for the first time tonight and saw Penny. She has not changed at all. Still very, very caustic. Not good for your network to continue to bring her back. Who is so enamored with her that she keeps showing up?
    Certainly not your viewers. While I have always been a great fan of Alton Brown, this is beneath him. Will not be watching in the future. Thank goodness for Cooking Channel. Real cooking there!

• Marcie Kaye says:

OMG … when I saw Penny I almost turned the show off, but I didn't cause I wanted to see her lose .. but just seeing her full of tomatoes was so worth watching .. she so deserved that .. karma !! .. she is a bad penny — just when I think I will never see her again, here she comes .. go away

5. Theresa says:

I am very disappointed in the FN for promoting anything related to bullying. I change the channel every time a commercial comes on to promote Cut Throat Kitchen. Does Alton understand that this show is cutting a huge hole in his credibility? I will never watch this show again.

6. MARIE says:

One..Two..Three strikes YOU'RE OUT! I gave it three tries – couldn't "stomach" the disgusting plates of food these "chefs" are creating..I pity the tasting chefs – Note: Alton doesn't put a morsel in HIS mouth! It's obviously NOT about the food! What a waste of ingredients – perhaps the food network should take that money and give it to a deserving charity. This show teaches us NOTHING – It is not appealing in demeanor or sentiment. What's next… "Creative Cannibalism with Bobby "Flay" ???? This show is an EPIC FAIL!

7. lvc001 says:

Since 1) the judge is not supposed to know what sabotage has taken place and 2) the chefs have to make best of potential bad situations, it seems tremendously unfair to force a contestant to make Tacos, for example, where the sabotage was to remove all the taco shells for the chef. Then the judge comes down and says "this is great, but it is not a taco".
    Seems like the sabotages should make it difficult to manage, and in the above example, if the taco was put into a lettuce wrap instead, it should not preclude their ability to progress.
    The show as it exists today, is not testing the chef's ability to think out of the box, but rather to spend money wisely to sabotage someone else. Maybe the solution is to allow the judge to incorporate the tribulations of the auctions on what has been presented.

8. lynn says:

I miss the actual cooking. Too many competitions and too much description (Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives). I can't get the Cooking Channel. Maybe that's where all the real cooking is taking place. Your network is slipping.

9. lexijnsn says:

Here is an idea for a sabotage: Before the dish that is to be cooked is announced, the chef in which the sabotage is being given to will have to blind fold themselves and then taste the food that he/she is supposed to cook. It is with only that knowledge that they will be able to cook their dish with while the other competitors will be given cards saying with them what the dish actually is.

10. Richard Lawrence says:

Suggest that the money forfeited by each contestant eliminated in first two rounds be put in bank and rolled in to jackpot for final winning contestant.

11. hester says:

I doubt that is going to happen. I think Bobby Flay owns FN now (or at least it appears that way) and the only one getting air time now is him and cooking competitions and constant repeats of DDD. Even the cooking network is becoming the booby flake network