You Asked Food Network Stars

by in Food Network Magazine, June 21st, 2013

Food Network Magazine June Cover
Food Network stars answer your burning questions in the June issue of Food Network Magazine.

Ree, what meals do you regularly cook ahead — or double and then freeze?
Brenda Erwin from Hurst, Texas

My Chicken Spaghetti recipe is definitely one of those casseroles I tend to double — and often triple — so I can have extra pans for the fridge. Lasagna is another one: If I’m going to cook up a big meat sauce and boil noodles, I might as well make twice the amount. The mess isn’t that much bigger and I get more bang for my buck. Some other things I love to freeze: sloppy joe mix, spaghetti sauce, taco meat and even pulled pork or beef brisket. If you wrap them carefully, they’ll do just fine in the freezer.
Ree Drummond

Bobby, my dad thinks not cleaning our grill after a meal will give the food even more smoky flavor. Is this true?
Brianna Hoover from Madison, Wis.

No, you should always clean your grill. You want your food to taste like the food you’re actually cooking as opposed to the food you previously cooked. You should clean the grill and brush it when you’re done cooking. I have a grill brush, and that’s all I use. Make sure the grill is still hot — it’s easier to clean while the grates are warm.
— Bobby Flay

Robert, with your busy schedule on the road, how do you find time to work out?
Mike Altieri from Norristown, Pa.

Sometimes I have to use a hotel gym because I travel 345 days a year. Nine out of 10 times, I find a major gym next to the hotel that opens around 4 am, so I can exercise before the shoots. I work out six days a week, doing one body part per day: chest, back, shoulders, arms and legs. And I run and do abdominal exercises.
— Robert Irvine

Ina, I noticed you often go outside to your garden to pick fresh herbs for recipes. Do you have a method for preserving herbs like basil and cilantro? Drying doesn’t seem to retain the flavor.
Maggie Kadlecek from Austin

The only way to keep basil is to wash it, dry it well and put it in a plastic bag with an ever-so-slightly damp paper towel. For cilantro? I never use it because I actually don’t like it. I think it tends to overpower a dish — it’s such a strong flavor.
— Ina Garten

Michael, when grilling meat and fish, is it best to season before grilling or during? I was once told to season when the dish is half cooked.
Matt Dyment from Somerville, Mass.

Definitely before. I season my steaks and roasts the night before and my seafood about an hour before grilling. The seasoning makes for moist and much tastier food.
— Michael Symon

Have a question for a Food Network star? Write to us at FoodNetwork.com/Magazine.

Which Is Better: Hot or Cold Asian Noodles?

When you’re in the mood for noodles, do you crave a steaming bowl of stir-fry or soup? Or would you prefer something cold? While you probably wouldn...

1. BillO says:

FN doesn't care what their employees have ever said. They only care about what people find out about what their employees have said. I'll just bet that the Pizza Cuz guys have never made a disparaging remark in their lives, lol

2. Tracy Alderson says:

Don't wait for your subscription to the FN magazine to cancel. Call in and cancel it now so that they have to send out a refund check to every person that hates their decision to fire the person that has made FN what it is.

3. Tracy Alderson says:

In addition to boycotting FN- I would like to boycott the restaurant where Lisa Jackson (the money grubber in this lawsuit) is currently a manager. I've heard it's here in Atlanta. If anyone can tell me the name, it would be much appreciated.

4. Jennifer says:

Most people in this country understand why she had to go, if you dont believe using racial slurs is enough to get someone fired you need to examine yourself because clearly it is… Especially if you need public support to thrive… To all those saying it was the past or thats how they spoke in the south, to bad Americans dont speak like that anymore… Her language is out-dated just like her show…

5. Susan says:

The lawsuit has not come to trial, Paula has not had her day in court, nor a judgment against her. Just allegations. Firing her was way too premature. Food Network made a serious mistake. They are not at all noble.

6. Paula Breymann says:

I'm really saddened by your dropping Dean for things said in the past. We all have a past, things we might not be proud of. We can't change that we can only work to improve our selves today and tomorrow. She is not one of the cooks i really followed but she deserved better from you guys!

7. Michael says:

Good grief, everyone on the planet has said or done things regretful in their lifetimes. Firing Paula Dean at this late date is overkill. Good Grief, even Nike stuck with Tiger Woods after his moral compass went off badly. It all comes down to money and if the Network or Nike thinks there's more money to stay than to leave, that's what will happen.

8. Vivian says:

I have been a loyal fan of food network for years, but your decision to fire Paula Deen has me rethinking that loyalty.. I just wanted you to know that I will no longer be watching your network.. I have several shows that I had set to record tonight, but will be cancelling all of them.. If someone used racial slurs a long time ago, but no longer uses them why do you care? I don't care as long as she isn't still using them.. God can forgive, why can't you??? That's ok Paula will do okay without you, but I'm not so sure that you will do good without her…

9. Kathy says:

I don't understand the logic behind the decision not to renew Paula Deens contract. What cowards at food net work. Jamie Foxx on national tv touting his last movie said "I get to kill all the white people, how cool is that" jamie Foxx is still making movies and NO ONE event thought this was inapporiate. Paula said things years ago and regrets them. Jamie Foxx was not held accountable and was even cheered for his comments. This is wrong, SHAME ON ALL OF US for accepting this!

10. Browneyes28630 says:

Shame on you Food Network. She only told the truth. How many of us can say the we have never said anything totally wrong about someone else. If she isn't reinstated I am totally done with Food Network. Paula Deen is not a racist but a person who opened her mouth inappropriately in the past and has the "jewels" to own up to her mistake.