You Asked Food Network Stars

by in Food Network Magazine, June 21st, 2013

Food Network Magazine June Cover
Food Network stars answer your burning questions in the June issue of Food Network Magazine.

Ree, what meals do you regularly cook ahead — or double and then freeze?
Brenda Erwin from Hurst, Texas

My Chicken Spaghetti recipe is definitely one of those casseroles I tend to double — and often triple — so I can have extra pans for the fridge. Lasagna is another one: If I’m going to cook up a big meat sauce and boil noodles, I might as well make twice the amount. The mess isn’t that much bigger and I get more bang for my buck. Some other things I love to freeze: sloppy joe mix, spaghetti sauce, taco meat and even pulled pork or beef brisket. If you wrap them carefully, they’ll do just fine in the freezer.
Ree Drummond

Bobby, my dad thinks not cleaning our grill after a meal will give the food even more smoky flavor. Is this true?
Brianna Hoover from Madison, Wis.

No, you should always clean your grill. You want your food to taste like the food you’re actually cooking as opposed to the food you previously cooked. You should clean the grill and brush it when you’re done cooking. I have a grill brush, and that’s all I use. Make sure the grill is still hot — it’s easier to clean while the grates are warm.
— Bobby Flay

Robert, with your busy schedule on the road, how do you find time to work out?
Mike Altieri from Norristown, Pa.

Sometimes I have to use a hotel gym because I travel 345 days a year. Nine out of 10 times, I find a major gym next to the hotel that opens around 4 am, so I can exercise before the shoots. I work out six days a week, doing one body part per day: chest, back, shoulders, arms and legs. And I run and do abdominal exercises.
— Robert Irvine

Ina, I noticed you often go outside to your garden to pick fresh herbs for recipes. Do you have a method for preserving herbs like basil and cilantro? Drying doesn’t seem to retain the flavor.
Maggie Kadlecek from Austin

The only way to keep basil is to wash it, dry it well and put it in a plastic bag with an ever-so-slightly damp paper towel. For cilantro? I never use it because I actually don’t like it. I think it tends to overpower a dish — it’s such a strong flavor.
— Ina Garten

Michael, when grilling meat and fish, is it best to season before grilling or during? I was once told to season when the dish is half cooked.
Matt Dyment from Somerville, Mass.

Definitely before. I season my steaks and roasts the night before and my seafood about an hour before grilling. The seasoning makes for moist and much tastier food.
— Michael Symon

Have a question for a Food Network star? Write to us at FoodNetwork.com/Magazine.

Hash Browns vs. Home Fries: Which Is Better?

Which is better: hash browns or home fries? Vote now. ...

1. Joan Johnson says:

I too will never watch food network channel nor support any of the "entertainment"…left on the channel…..I am so disappointed in management taking political views ….it is cooking…teaching people how to cook….not going back 20 years ago to see if anyone made a racial slur….scratched their ass…..burbed in public…..taking psych meds…..Food Network you suck….

• Jennifer says:

Scratched their ass, i think you mean burped in public, and taking psych meds… Thanks for the insight on who you realy are Joan sounds like your life story… This debate is over your head…

2. David says:

Who the H___is this Jennifer person who makes Paula sound as if she's the worst woman who walked the planet? Read through here.

• Shannon says:

David, exactly. She is typing on here so much it is as if she works for FN. I am ashamed of myself, she has driven me to respond to her!!!!! I am just totally blown away by her assertions.

• Terry says:

Bad remarks are bad remarks. I give her that. Over 20+ years, we've probably all made some that we shouldn't have. She acts like she's trying to find every possible violation she can find in anybody as if she's on some kind of crusade.

• Rio Verde says:

She's a b1tch sucking on one of the foodnetworks ""privateparts" and getting parts (laid) to spread their message: out with the old folk & in with the young brainless ones

3. PAB says:

What a shame that those who can't forgive someone for words said such a long time ago… a different frame of mind….growing up in those same times I remember that was the norm….now the norm is that you can ask someone to forgive you and don't expect mercy….those who can't forgive as the proverbs says you will not be forgiven….wow…what is next….the ones who are so critical should be criticizing the people in control who lie and keep their jobs….what does that say to our youth just lie and you want be destroyed….Food Network you have lost my respect and business…..

4. cherrycooks says:

Just in case anyone thinks that they should correct my spelling of "fowl-mouthed", I know that the correct spelling in this case is "foul" but I am being cynical and referring to her constant "cackling".

5. Jennifer says:

Great post its all about fairness and equality…

6. wrennan says:

Got a couple words for ya, Food Network… GROW UP!! What are you going to do…screen everyone from the South and then fire them if they *ever* said anything slightly "politically incorrect"?? Or anyone from anywhere in the country for that matter – hell, there wouldn't be anyone left *IF* they were being honest – including yourselves. Sounds like you're the bigots to me… Until her contract is renewed, I'll tell everyone I know – here in the South – not to watch your small-minded, PC gestapo network…

7. BillO says:

Cherry, you've made several allegations. Can you back up any of them?

8. BillO says:

So where are the FN celebrities on this? Bobby, Guy, Giada, Alton, you're all conspicuous by your silence. Any one of you could be next, you know

9. Scott says:

I'm still going to watch Food Network enough to know which companies still advertise with them.
    You know who we'll be boycotting next… Remember Paula Dean – our battle cry!

10. Tennessee Walker says:

I always thought when you were deposed and under oath you had to tell the truth? Paula did tell the truth about saying a word to her husband thirty years ago. Gasp, gasp. Oh the horror! At least she isn't a phony like the empty suits at FN.