Have You Tried Yuzu?

by in How-to, June 26th, 2013

Yuzuby Jacob Schiffman

I came across the Japanese citrus fruit yuzu during a sushi bar crawl almost 10 years ago. It’s really tart, with a complex, tangy flavor that’s part grapefruit and lemon, part orange, and all delicious. You can use the rind, the juice or both.

The first time I had yuzu, it added sharp tartness to a mayo-based sauce for hamachi (yellowtail). I then started seeing it in condiments for tempura-fried foods, dipping sauces for french fries at bars, on specialty cocktail menus and even in fancy pastries. Chefs ask for it all the time on Iron Chef America — while they mostly ask for the yuzu juice, in my experience as a buyer for Food Network, I’ve seen everything from yuzu marmalade and yuzu mayo to yuzu candy and yuzu vinegar. And sometimes (rarely) I’ve seen fresh yuzu in markets (pictured above) in the late fall through early winter. No matter the format, I think you’ll be seeing a lot more yuzu in the future.

How do you yuzu? Tell us in the comments below.

Try these recipes that feature yuzu:

Tuna Tots with Yuzu Vinaigrette
Tequila Granita with Lychee and Yuzu Cream
Oysters on the Half Shell with Yuzu Granitee
Lobster Roll with Yuzu Cashew Dipping Sauce

Tags:

Here’s How to Up Your Dip Game

The right dip recipe can get you through anything. The kids surprised you with a houseful of small-but-hungry friends? Bring out the chips and dip ...

1. Mason Dixon Gal says:

FOODNETWORK, SHAME on you!! PLACING JUDGEMENT WITHOUT FACTS!!

2. Toni says:

How very sad, that the Food Network is so perfect, none of the executives or employees ever made a mistake. You may think pulling Paula Deen off the air was the right thing to do, however it was not. You have just lost a faithful watcher of the network and several others I know that will never come back until you make this right. We are the folks with the incomes that buy products from your advertisers and promote the Food Network. What a disgrace.

3. Dana says:

Food Network is history!! Paula Deen was the best thing you ever had.

4. Ida Hewett says:

I think you should reinstate Paula Deen because i know you said the n word and so have i and i know
    the color people said it, too.Mebe you don`t like her or you got something else agenst herthat we don`t
    know a about or my be she should take you to court to fined out.

5. Darlene Creasey says:

Paula Deen was the reason I started watching and loving Food Network. I enjoy a great many of the chefs. Yesterday was the first day in ten years I did not watch Food Network. I am saddened by Paula using that word then and am saddened by the actions of Food Network. Guess it is alright for all the other chefs to use profanity. Are there double standards here.

6. Donna says:

I wish FN would explain to the public why you fired Paula Dean. I can't understand it at all. It seems so unreasonable. I have followed Paula and many of your other chefs for years and have loved your network so much. I watched it daily. But, not now. I can't watch a network who was so unfair to one of it's own. How can you do that? Obviously no loyalty or love there. Are all the chefs like you too? Why aren't they feeling her pain and at least empathy? It's not a family network anymore or one I want to associate with.

• MD Gal says:

You are so right! We need to know why? Can't turn the radio on without hearing that word over and over again yet Paula admitted an error she made over 30 years ago and she is fired.

The Network was going down hill anyway. Same old repeats over and over. We need something fresh and new.

7. Sam says:

It is sad that something that happened so long ago affects Paula Deen now when a rapper can stomp all over "Old Glory" the USA flag and nothing is done about it.

I am so disappointed in the Food Network's executive decision not to renew Paula's contract. If it wasn't for Paula and many other pioneers in this food industry there would be no Food Network. I also want to know why the other Food Network stars have not come out to defend her. Shame on them!!

8. Yuzu Lover says:

I use Yuzu in the shower every day. It keeps my skin fresh, my hair bouncy, and makes my teeth shine. The rinds also make for lovely smelling undergarments. It is the citrus fruit that keeps on giving. Go Yuzu!

9. jean says:

Why in the world would Paula want to back.
    They have already shown what they are.
    A BUNCH OF POLITICAL HACKS

10. armando gomez says:

I hope you know how to forgive Paula Dean. I know she well bounce back.