VOTE: Star vs. Chopped Summer Side Showdown

by in Recipes, Shows, June 23rd, 2013

Star vs. Chopped Summer Side ShowdownWe challenged two prestigious groups — Chopped judges and Food Network Star winners — to a summer recipe showdown. All season long, we’ll present head-to-head matchups of mouthwatering summer recipes from each team — from refreshing cocktails to fresh farmers’-market salads to the juiciest backyard burgers. By voting each week here on FN Dish or on our Fan Feed, you’ll determine the winning recipes.

At the end of the summer, the team that tallies up the most wins will celebrate with an all-star Labor Day party menu. Who will prevail as Summer Showdown champion — Star or Chopped?

This week, Chopped judge and Iron Chef Geoffrey Zakarian faces off against Star Season 5 winner Melissa d’Arabian in a battle of classic summer sides: coleslaw vs. potato salad. Whose will show up on your picnic table? Cast your votes below!

Summer Side Showdown: Melissa’s Grilled Potato Salad vs. Geoffrey’s Gingered Coleslaw

Melissa takes traditional potato salad to the next level by grilling red potatoes and sweet potatoes to infuse them with smoky flavor.

Geoffrey’s take on classic picnic slaw is flavored with ginger and garlic, giving it a slight Asian accent. He adds golden raisins for a bit of sweetness.

Whose side dish gets a spot on your next picnic menu?

For more favorite summer recipes, check out Food Network’s Grilling Central. Head back here to FN Dish or check out our Fan Feed next week for a new Summer Showdown matchup!

Stars’ Tailgating Favorites

When Food Network stars are in charge of a tailgating spread, you better bet that the menu is a game changer. Here’s how Bobby Flay, Ina Garten,...

1. rod whiddon says:

food network one sorry son of a _______________ and i wish i could say what i am thinking i will never watch another program until Mrs. P Dean is reinstated and she gets an apology from you crazy people.

2. Angry Fan says:

I, too, am a disgusted Paula Deen fan – I will choose other networks to watch and will not support you in your choice to cancel her show. I will choose to not watch Food Network any more. No one is perfect in life and you should show a little understanding of a situation decades ago.

3. Catherine Sandor says:

Let me ad my voice to express my disappointment with the Food Network on their rush to judgement against Paula Deen. I think all the Food Network Executives need to be fired.

4. neil livingston says:

Add my voice to those disgusted by Food Network's rush to judge Paula Deen. She grew up in a very different era in the South. It's ridiculous to judge her actions and language by today's standards. The people who made this decision are a bunch of cowards interested only in ad revenue and should be ashamed of yourselves.

5. pame says:

Shame on the food network…as I will NEVER watch that show again!! Apparently someone on their panel has NEVER studied sociology! Even white folks when angry , no matter what their social status, have said the word "White Trash"…and black people have called each other the "N" word when angry…IF anyone states different…they either lived a sheltered life or are in total denial. With that said…NO we do notcondone the use of these words EVER…BUT most have said one of these words atsome time in their life…I grew up in the hood, the east end of town…have been a professional Nurse for o0ver 30 years now and still remember the language of my childhood. IF anyone had asked ME that question…I too would of answered YES…under oath…does that mean I am predjudiced …NO…sham on the food network.
    When the Charlie Sheens and theLohansof the world get second chances!!!

6. Tracy Alderson says:

We don't care how many new coleslaw recipes or pictures you post! What we care about is your horrible disregard for Paula Deen. She IS FN – in case you didn't know. I think you are getting a clue now.

7. mary says:

i will never watch your channel again. food network should be ashamed of theirselves…..i am embarrassed for you crazy people

8. Tina T. says:

How quick we become judge and jury and throw the first stone. She admitted to an error she apologized for it. Move on Food TV and get real. I certainly have….Not watching you anymore…..cause you people are soooo perfect!!!!!! You need to apologize to her immediately for your rush to judgement……and dismissal…

9. Jennifer says:

Food Network……YOU OWE PAULA AN APOLOGY!!! I'm another viewer you have lost!

10. Frank says:

Food Network Management you have lost a loyal fan. You have an honest good person in Paula Deen. She admitted something she regrets in her past. People like her because she is real and not a fake bigot like the Food Network Management Team. You better figure a way out of this and bring her back or you going to be responsible for loosing lots of money. Food Network = Hypocrites! Paula Dean is NOT a racist.