Restaurant Revisited: Lost in the Woods at Pinehurst Country Lodge

by in Shows, June 9th, 2013

Robert Irvine on Restaurant: ImpossibleRoger Murray, the owner of Pinehurst Country Lodge in Greeley, Pa., had no experience in either working at or owning a restaurant before he purchased the business just six months ago. Although he was once prosperous in the corporate world, Roger’s venture into the culinary industry proved less successful, and he was facing a $350,000 debt when Robert Irvine arrived to rescue him from despair. Strung with unattractive holiday lights and offering a menu of unpalatable food, Pinehurst Country Lodge was in desperate need of the design and menu revamps that Robert’s Restaurant: Impossible team was ready to provide. After just two days and with only $10,000, Pinehurst reopened to a bustling crowd and offered guests a menu of freshly prepared meals. FN Dish checked in with Roger a few months after Robert left to find out how his eatery is doing today.

“Business has picked up since the filming,” Roger tells us. “Overall I’d give it a 10 percent bump revenue-wise but consider my bottom line to be expanding more than that.” Pinehurst is indeed making more money than it was before its transformation, and Roger adds that he’s now seeing income from the bar.

The table numbers at the restaurant have remain unchanged — with Roger knowledgeable of them — and the menu choices at Pinehurst have been edited only minimally, with the addition of a few dishes, like Shrimp Scampi, Seafood Cakes and Portabella Mushroom. “We did not delete any items as of yet,” Roger says. “Carrots are in the rotation of side vegetables along with zucchini, squash, etc. We still use the asparagus with the prime rib and salmon as recommended.” Although some diners were “initially taken aback by the small number of selections,” Roger realizes that “you cannot continue what we were doing in trying to please everyone.”

Junius “is much better” at handling the kitchen than he was before, Roger tells us, adding that he no longer fears that Junius will leave Pinehurst.

Since the renovation, Roger notes that he “absolutely” feels confident in his ability to lead his employees. He wants to tell Robert and the entire Restaurant: Impossible crew, “We appreciate everyone’s professionalism, understanding and help more than words may be able to express.”

More From Restaurant Revisited:

Bryan’s Smokehouse (May 26)
Wagon Wheel Family Restaurant (May 19)
Mom & Dad’s Italian Restaurant (May 12)
Smitty’s Restaurant (April 28)
Old World Italian Restaurant (April 21)
Joe Willy’s Seafood House (April 14)
Sweet Tea’s Restaurant & Catering (March 24)
Soup to Nuts Diner (March 17)
Caseyville Cafe (March 13)
Maniaci’s Italian Restaurant (March 10)
Dinner Bell Restaurant (February 27)
Nanny Goat’s Cafe & Feed Bin (February 20)
Sapori D’Italia (January 23)
Windseeker Restaurant (January 16)
Whiskey Creek Steakhouse (January 2)
Rising Sun Bistro (December 19)
Boys & Girls Club of Southwest Missouri (December 9)
Bronk’s Bar and Grill (December 5)
Rohrer’s Tavern (November 28)
Poco’s on the Boulevard (November 21)
Oleander Bar and Grill (October 17)
Valley Inn (October 10)
Whistle Stop (October 3)
The Maple Tree Cafe (September 26)
Michele’s (September 19)
Paliani’s Restaurant (September 12)
Frankie’s (September 5)
Gusanoz (August 29)

The Flavors of Ham and Cheese in a Savory Bread Pudding

For this week’s Chopped Dinner Challenge, the chefs of Food Network Kitchen chose to feature the basket ingredient Camembert. Inspired by a chee...

1. do realtor network events

2. Sam says:

I really enjoyed this episode, I do however have to agree that Robert really needs a new designer. The trash cans were ridiculous. I love the way that they overhaul the places but they really need to have better "updated" content. The place was great one way and now "industrial" is not cool

3. Helen says:

I am a regular at the Pinehurst and i loved the episode. Just saying that Rusty needs to get a life. get up with the new and get rid of the old. It was long overdue!!! I love the restaurant and it's so much better now. Best of luck!!!

4. See the good! says:

Maybe the people who have bad comments about the design should keep their opinions to themselves. Honestly, if I walked into your house I could tear it apart for all of the things that are "wrong" or "ugly" in my mind. Instead, we clearly saw that the owners were thrilled with the makeover so we should just be happy for them. Good job RI! There are thousands of restaurants that are in need of help and I think watching this show would be a good eye-opener for in-need restaurant owners. Another inspirational show.

• Andy says:

I strongly disagree. Since when are TV shows above criticism? Robert and Taniya are professionals and should be able to look at the show objectively. Perhaps they will learn from the criticism, especially if it's offered by more than one viewer.

5. Harvey says:

I've been watching Restaurant Impossible since it started and watched Dinner Impossible before that. I am growing weary of Robert's fixing businesses that the owners have no business owning. Having watched the quality of food, the uncleanliness and the lack of any business sense of so many of the owners, I wish most of these places went out of business.

The guy who bought the Pinehurst deserves the debt and the feeling of failure. I can't even figure out what he did correctly since he knew absolutely nothing about the business. Not so sure in the end RI does a real service or is just a band aid for the incompetent.

• Sarah says:

I think this comment is a bit harsh. I don't think the owner was incompetent at all! He really thought he could be successful. He also seemed very sharp and willing to absorb and learn everything Robert offered him. I think this show gave this restaurant exactly what it needed to not only survive but thrive again!

• No Name says:

I understand you feel that the man who bough the Pinehurst did nothing right but he never owned a restaurant before! He lost his other job and decided to follow a dream. I think what Roger did was amazing and I commend him for it. I wish him the best of luck in the future and don't have any doubt in my mind this will be a successful restaurant.

• Critic in the woods says:

I have to add my two cents. Two weeks ago a group of us went to the Pinehurst, the meal was good and the service was also, good. This past Sunday we went for the party and decided to have dinner again. What a disaster. Items not available for dinner , orders not right when they finally came out. I couldn't believe the about face they did.The place was empty why they couldn't habndle it i don't know.
      I have been to the Pinehurst many times over the years and I'm not going back anytime soon. There are too many good places to eat in the area. The Pinehurst may have to contact Gordon Ramsey, and soon!

• Get Real says:

Although I wish them luck, I think most of the comments after this post are really missing the point. The point to reiterate.

Robert isn't "fixing" restaurants hes "fixing" bad owners.

Dont get on the "I feel sorry for the owner" band wagon its great you wish them luck. But what about they restaurants were the owner is competent but maybe has an outdated design or failing equipment?

Kind of like the episode with Michelle Obama and the school.

Dont be so small minded about things and feelings about restaurant owners. Don't forget these people dropped a loan for 300k on this. Can you afford that? Doubtful they had a hard life before this.

6. No Name says:

I think this episode was fantastic. I've eaten at the new and improved restaurant and must say it was great. The food was wonderful and the staff was so friendly and welcoming. I believe was restaurant impossible did will help benefit the Murray family so much in the near future. I encourage Roger to keep doing what he's doing because the restaurant is absolutely perfect now. Good luck in the future!

7. Frank says:

I like chicken

8. poohbaker69 says:

I have watch Robert Irvine for a while now, I think that he does a great job with the time that he has to really "fixed" a restaurant. He had my husband's mouth watering for the chicken sliders, and he does not usually eat the thigh of the chicken.

9. Joanne says:

Just watched this episode for the second time. I wish Roger and Sandy all the best. I think it takes a lot of courage to make such a drastic career change. The changes to the restaurant were amazing!. This along with what Roger learned from Robert will definitely lead them to success.

10. Get Real says:

Robert isn't "fixing" restaurants hes "fixing" bad owners.

Kind of like the episode with Michelle Obama and the school.

Fianlly if you made it this far in my comment without flaming with PRO owner comments. Enough with the 2 days and $10,000 stuff!

$10,000 means nothing to use since we dont know what anything cost and they are not paying retail or wholesale prices anyway on the items they buy. The $10,000 adds nothing to the show honestly its just a rumber they through out. Give Robert more time.. and more money!