Mayo-Free Side Salads — Weekend Cookout

by in Recipes, June 22nd, 2013

Roasted-Pepper Pasta SaladThis summer, Food Network’s Grilling Central is packed with recipes for the entire family’s taste buds, boasting the best in burgers, dogs, chicken and more all season long. But with so many recipes, where do you start? Each Friday, FN Dish is giving you a complete menu that is stress-free, and this weekend’s spread will be rounded out with sun-safe side dishes free of mayonnaise.

When temperatures spike and it becomes hot and humid outside, you may be tempted to turn your alfresco soiree into an indoor, air-conditioned bash for fear of unknowingly eating heat-spoiled dishes. But while you should always be sure to keep all food — whether it’s served outdoors or not — at appropriate warm and cold temperatures, you can decrease your risk of foodborne illness at outdoor cookouts by cutting one key ingredient from your side dish spread: mayonnaise. Mayo is made largely of egg yolks, and as they tend to spoil quickly, they’re especially prone to bacterial growth if left in the heat for hours at a time. Instead of trying to time your salad servings or shuttling the dishes between inside and outside, make mayonnaise-free recipes. Thanks to citrus-based dressings and simple vinaigrettes, these made-over sides are every bit as flavorful and satisfying as their creamy counterparts.

Ready to eat in just 30 quick minutes, Food Network Magazine‘s Roasted-Pepper Pasta Salad (pictured above) is a go-to potluck dish or simple side with which to entertain. This easy dish boasts crunchy almonds, sweet sauteed bell peppers and bite-size mozzarella balls mixed with short pasta and a lemon-olive oil topping. Finish the salad with a sprinkle of fragrant basil to add freshness and a burst of color.

While most potato salads are traditionally tossed in a mayonnaise-based mixture, Rachael’s Grilled Potato Salad, however, boasts the flavor of a red wine vinaigrette instead. She coats Yukon golds in rosemary and seasoning, then grills them and serves them with arugula. “When you grill potatoes they will be slightly drier than when you use other methods of cooking,” Rachael says. “By adding the potatoes to the dressing while they are hot, they really will soak in the dressing.”

Grilled Summer SquashLooking for a vegetable-based side dish? Try Food Network Magazine‘s Grilled Summer Squash (pictured right). Here, sliced onion and squash are grilled, then tossed with lemon juice and olive oil, plus a duo of herbs and ricotta salata cheese, for a fuss-free 15-minute side.

Appetizer: Grilled Corn Salsa
Main Dish: Grilled Link Hot Dogs with Homemade Pickle Relish
Side Dish: Roasted-Pepper Pasta Salad (pictured top)
Dessert: Classic Lemon Bars
Cocktail: Campari Spritzer

Brighten Up the Easter Holiday with These Zesty Lamb Chops

For this week’s Chopped Dinner Challenge, the chefs of Food Network Kitchen chose to feature the basket ingredient Key lime juice. The goal of t...

1. Missy says:

This is media hyped BS at it's best !! And I hope it backfires on ALL of you hypocrites !! How dare people act like they've never done (or said) something in their lives that they've regreted !! And just because she chose to be honest about something that happened YEARS AGO, you suddenly feel the need to label her a racist ? If everybody who's used the "N" word in their lifetime was a racist, then I think it would be pretty safe to say that Obama would have never been elected President (twice) !! Instead of standing by the lady who helped put the Food Network on the map, you run and hide like the childish little hypocrites you are !! Paula doesn't need people like you in her life anymore anyway. And guess what ? Neither do we !!!

2. Clayton says:

You will feel the pain by letter her go. Hope you crash and burn. You are not the only food network on cable. So long. Won't be seeing me any more.

3. Nancy says:

I am not a fan of Paula, or her recipes, however, fair is fair!!!! Really? losing her show, her endorsements, etc. over something she said over 20 years ago? COME ON PEOPLE!!!!!! Haven't we ALL made comments in our past that we regret? There has to be more to this than meets the eye, we are not obviously getting the whole behind the scenes story!!!!!

4. OneWorld says:

I can't believe you punished Paula Deen for something she did 20 years ago in a time and place where it was almost nature for them to use the N word. I guess you are perfect never made any mistake in 20 years!!! What happen to, "if you know better you do better, or you live and learned", by the look of her, her children, meeting her it seems to me; she learned better! She works with your network did she use the N word or show any sign of racist behavior ever since she been hired!

5. Nancy Zimmerman says:

Not support Paula Dean???????? Are you kidding. She put you on the map!!! I will not watch your show and not buy products any more!! And all you other chefs, watch your back – say one thing wrong and you are toast""

Nancy

6. Ray Schapker says:

I will never understand why you let Paula Deen go. Who are you trying to please? I haven't talked to anyone you pleased. I hope the viewing public boycotts your show. I think you owe Paula Deen an apology. I know I will never watch your show again.

• Gues says:

I totally agree with you. I will never watch the show, click on the website if she is not put back on the show. QVC better not take her off air or they will also be crossed off my list of websites which I choose to purchase many items.

7. whiskers03 says:

Omg! Really? Grow up Food net!

8. Tish says:

Paula Deen had the best show on FNC. You have made a huge mistake. Will no longer watch your network. Cannot wait to see your ratings tank!

9. Linda says:

I started watching Food Network because of Paula Deen. Cannot believe that you have fired her without a fair assessment of something that happened so long ago. Along with her two sons, she has brought a lot of new viewers in and added a lot of revenue to your station! Since her diagnosis of diabetes, it seems like you have been looking for an excuse to get rid of her and so…now you have found one. Looks as if, since you couldn't find anything recent, you had to go back into history. Shame on you Food Network! She deserved better..

10. Gail says:

I can't believe she said such a stupid thing, and she should be ashamed of herself for being so ignorant. But, she did apologize and throw herself on her sword and I think the punishment is way too harsh. It would be different if she just hid away and refused to address it. But she did the right thing in apologizing to everyone and she should be forgiven. I hope she bounces back and gets other opportunities.