Grilled Pork Chops 2 Ways: Kid-Friendly and Parent-Approved

by in Family, June 25th, 2013

Grilled Pork Chops 2 Ways: Kid-Friendly and Parent-ApprovedPork chops aren’t just for the frying pan. A thick pork chop, bone-in or -out, can be just as juicy as any burger when you cook it on the grill. What you need is a good rub (to be delicious) and skewer (to be a hit with the kids).

Our three kids were all born in Italy, where a summertime staple is arrosticini, small cubes of meat (usually lamb) on a skewer, seasoned with nothing but olive oil, salt and the occasional sprig of rosemary. The flavor is delicious, the technique is fun and kids love them for both of those reasons.

Recreating that dish was one of the first things we did when we moved back to the United States this spring, and pork chops do the trick. Use a rub of 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon dried or fresh thyme and 1/4 teaspoon pepper for the whole chops and for one diced up for the kids.

Tip: Put the chop in the freezer for 5 minutes for easier slicing. Roll cubes in the rub and slide onto a bamboo stick.

The smaller you dice the pork, the faster and more evenly it’ll cook, which will be quicker than whole pork chops, so plan accordingly. Another idea: Add fresh peppers or pineapple to transform your skewer into a kebab.

Fun Thanksgiving Projects for Kids

This Thanksgiving, set the kids up with one of these fun projects. Little kids can roll cheese balls and cut out shapes with cookie cutters, and older...

1. G McLaughlin says:

I will no longer watch the Food Network or purchase products attached to your brand in light of your recent refusal to renew Paula Deen's contract and supporting the character assassination of a respected woman. Would it not have been more newsworthy had you worked together to stop racism in this country through education and mentoring? Is there a way that we can move forward together to become the change that we wish to see in our society?

2. Cookie says:

Paula has not been dropped from the GAC network. I believe her shows begin in July.

3. kili says:

I hope food network loses a lot of viewers due to their firing of Paula Deen. This is something she did a long time ago and has made her apologies. If networks are so quick to fire celebrities for their choice in words…then Bill Maher should be fired for calling Sarah Palin's son the "R" word….and this was just a couple of weeks ago!

4. ssq says:

You made a big mistake in canceling Paula Deen. I support her and will buy her cookbooks and other products. I will stop watching Food Network until you admit your mistake, like she did, and bring her back on. Have a heart and show a little forgiveness. You overreacted!

5. Jody says:

I'm sure Paula was a real demon in the kitchen. Especially after she got famous! You did the right thing Food Network. She and her sons have lived off food tv or long enough.

6. Brenda says:

I have stopped watching the food network as have many of my friends and family. I continue to support Paula Deen and will continue to purchase her products etc.

7. hipster says:

Duuuude. Pork chops rock.

8. Fed Up says:

I have watched Food Network since it's beginning and have subscribed to their magazine for several years. But no more. After your idiotic firing of Paula Deen because she told the truth about something she said before there even was a Food Network, I won't be watching or reading any longer. From now on when I Google for a recipe, I will select all the links EXCEPT Food Network.

9. Tammy says:

Big mistake FN… "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned…" Paula Deen will become even more famous without you!!

10. Marjorie says:

Seriously. Maybe they can start burning people at the stake. Negate all 99.9 percent of the good Heart Paula Dean has. He who is without sin, let him cast the first stone. Ugh. SOCIETY. I can't even walk into a movie anymore without worse language and society pats Hollywood on the back for filth. Even hands them shiny awards for it.